GPA and LSAT score for a school in the NYC metro area

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ad121600

GPA and LSAT score for a school in the NYC metro area

Postby ad121600 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm

any insight would be greatly appreciated. here's the scenario:

i had a major health problem (cancer) my freshman and sophomore year of college that caused so much stress of that my grades dropped significantly and i only got a 2.4 my first semester of college. the summer between my freshman and sophomore year i took 15 credits (a full semester) at a local community college while i was home on break and have a 4.0 for those 15 credits. by my third semester (where i went to school full time) i got my my gpa up to a 3.2, but my cumulative gpa was still only a 2.87. during my first 3 semesters. i decided to transfer but took a full semester off.

i took a semester off and went back to school full time in NYC (where I'm from) and graduated with a 3.54 gpa, but i know that doesnt account for my poor grades during my first 3 semesters of college. during those last 2 years of college i also worked full time internships while going to school full time. i DID graduate in 4 years despite what happened. i know that the LSAC will recalculate my gpa so my decent gpa in my last 2 years and the 4.0 for community college classes may help but i know my 2.87 over the first 3 semesters will hurt me a lot. using a standard gpa calculation, best case scenario would be a 3.36 overall, i'm sure what the LSAC calculates will be lower.

anyway i've been out of school for 2 years and working full time in finance the entire time. i am taking the october LSAT and studying my butt off on my own as well as taking TestMasters prep over the summer. i'd like to begin law school in fall 2013. i'd also like to go to a school in the NYC metro area if at all possible, but Boston, DC, and Chicago would all be places i'm willing to go. also, debt won't be an issue with or without scholarship money. my father is on the board of trustees at a t30 school and he said he will try to help me in any way possible, i have no idea if that would help as well. would a 165-168 LSAT score get me into a decent school, even if it's a regional one? i know t14 is probably out of the question but would a t50 or even a tier 2 school still be possible? t25 would be amazing but i also have to be realistic...
Last edited by ad121600 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Re: GPA and LSAT score for a school in the NYC metro area

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Grizz wrote:lawschoolnumbers.com

lawschoolpredictor.com

Corsair

Re: GPA and LSAT score for a school in the NYC metro area

Postby Corsair » Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”