Do internships and work experience matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tinyvipers

New

Do internships and work experience matter?

Post by tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 am

Like the question says. If yes, how much would they matter in applying to T14?

(I have a terrible track record: lots of transfers, lots of ups and downs with GPAs [though I'll still be graduating 3.5+ I think] so I'm wondering if my internships will help?)

BearState

Bronze

Re: Do internships and work experience matter?

Post by BearState » Thu May 10, 2012 9:43 am

Depends.

Work experience is becoming almost prerequisites at tip-top schools (HYS all have around 30% K-JD). Other schools may be following this trend, but not to that extent. Internships and work experience will likely be tie-breakers at the rest of the T-14. Your GPA and LSAT are the things to focus on at this point.

Transfers won't matter, and only your cumulative GPA is significant. A 3.5 won't rule you out of the T-14.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

tinyvipers

New

Post by tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 am

I'm already trying my best LSAT and GPA (it's not easy to get a first in the UK) wise.

My softs are nothing out of the ordinary but better than average I would say
- worked with both US and Singapore governments
- market research / market strategy internship for a year at the MPA/MPP department at my university (Edinburgh)
- editorial assistant at a reputable pagerank 7 current affairs site
- involved in 2 start-ups

Aside from internship/part-time work experience
- published in Kenyon Review
- published in a few reputable online IR/current affairs sites (pagerank 5 to 7)
- diploma in piano
- trilingual (native in 2, fluent in 1; didn't count another 2 that I'm conversational in)

Would that be enough to make any impact at all with regard to T14 admissions? Or would I have to like win Pulitzer or get published by NYT?

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am

Most posters are going to tell you that softs are either (1) relatively meaningless compared to numbers, or (2) necessary, but insufficient conditions to T-14 schools. Yours (especially the publications and languages IMO) definitely won't hurt you, and hopefully will translate into an excellent PS and LoRs, which will maximize whatever effect they may have. A few years of work experience post BA may help, but otherwise the best thing you can do is maximize your GPA and LSAT. I don't know much about UK grading and the LSAC conversion process.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu May 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Have you considered going for an LLB in the UK, and then LLM in the US, if you really want to practice here? Unless you have a really good LSDAS GPA (which is going to basically going to be the highest you can get on the UK system) and really good LSAT, you're going to have a tough time competing against the grade inflation prominent at American schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tinyvipers

New

Post by tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Twentypercentmore, I've never really considered that -- thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Correct me if I'm wrong but an LLM is not as qualified as a JD, right?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu May 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Virtually no one here, myself included, is capable of giving you a real answer in that. However, the normal progression of legal education in the United States is: Bachelors degree (4 years) -> JD (3 years) -> LLM -> (1-2 years) -> JSD [no one ever gets this] (3-4 years). So looking at this, it would SEEM that an LLM is better than a JD, but I haven't seen any cases where someone with an LLM does substantially better than someone with a JD from the same school.

One thing that will help you, though, is the fact that the LLM is only 1-2 years, that's going to be significantly less expensive than a JD. An ABA-accredited LLM will also allow you to sit for the bar exam in the US. So for all purposes, an LLM from a school should be at least as good as a JD from the same school.

Again, I have no idea, but that's how it seems to me.

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

You dont get a LSAC GPA if you are from UK. Your GPA will be classified into one of 4 categories, "below average" "average", "above average" and "superior". Getting a "below average" will hurt you, but it looks as though you would get "above average" with your current GPA. Mind you there isn't too much distinction between "average" and "above average" because your gpa rating won't even be counted for the school medians.

Conclusion: Law schools don't give a toss about your GPA if you are an international appicant and you do not have either "superior" or "below average". Focus on your LSAT prep and you should be fine with some solid work experience you have.

-International applicant from a foreign institution.

tinyvipers

New

Post by tinyvipers » Fri May 11, 2012 10:36 pm

canon1845 wrote:You dont get a LSAC GPA if you are from UK. Your GPA will be classified into one of 4 categories, "below average" "average", "above average" and "superior". Getting a "below average" will hurt you, but it looks as though you would get "above average" with your current GPA. Mind you there isn't too much distinction between "average" and "above average" because your gpa rating won't even be counted for the school medians.

Conclusion: Law schools don't give a toss about your GPA if you are an international appicant and you do not have either "superior" or "below average". Focus on your LSAT prep and you should be fine with some solid work experience you have.

-International applicant from a foreign institution.
Ah, I'm not from the UK -- I'm only doing the last two years of my studies there and getting my degree from there. Like I said, I still have my first two years of rollercoaster GPA from when I was in America. Would the first two years of GPA be taken into account separately from the non-GPA I will get from my last two years in the UK?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 am

Yes, and the LSAC will evaluate you based on your American GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”