Dual Citizenship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Dual Citizenship

Postby Helicio » Wed May 09, 2012 3:56 pm

My friend told me that having dual citizenship can hurt one's chances of admissions. He was extremely adamant about this, but I honestly could not understand why this would be the case.

That being said, would it be bad to check that one is a dual citizen? I have citizenship through my parents in both Lebanon and the United States. Another question: Does checking "Middle Eastern" alter one's chance of admissions (for better or worse)?

Thanks,

Helicio

BVest

Re: Dual Citizenship

Postby BVest » Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Helicio wrote:My friend told me that having dual citizenship can hurt one's chances of admissions. He was extremely adamant about this, but I honestly could not understand why this would be the case.

Why do you ask, Rep. Bachmann?

(ETA: I have no idea; hopefully someone will answer.)

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 pm

This is no problem whatsoever.

A lot of people have strange ideas about dual citizenship - there are urban myths about it being illegal, et cetera.

The official position of the U.S. government is that it "recognizes... but does not encourage" dual citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1753.html

One caveat: what you wrote above suggests you are a U.S. citizen by birth; if you were a naturalized U.S. citizen, then the oath taken when becoming a U.S. citizen includes a claim that you would renounce other allegiances, but the government hasn't prosecuted such cases since the 70s, I believe.

There are some other complicated ways in which it can cause legal problems, which is why the U.S. government doesn't encourage it, but I doubt any of them apply to you.

I know a guy who is a dual U.S./foreign citizen, and had no trouble at all with his cycle - he's at a top 6 school now, and performed exactly as his numbers suggested he would. I'm a dual citizen of two foreign countries and a U.S. permanent resident, and I've had no problems this cycle.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 am

Awesome thanks guys.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:One caveat: what you wrote above suggests you are a U.S. citizen by birth; if you were a naturalized U.S. citizen, then the oath taken when becoming a U.S. citizen includes a claim that you would renounce other allegiances, but the government hasn't prosecuted such cases since the 70s, I believe.

Furthermore, and IANAL (yet obviously), I'm pretty sure there is case law that protects your naturalized citizenship even if you return to your native land and resume your citizenship there.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 am

BVest wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:One caveat: what you wrote above suggests you are a U.S. citizen by birth; if you were a naturalized U.S. citizen, then the oath taken when becoming a U.S. citizen includes a claim that you would renounce other allegiances, but the government hasn't prosecuted such cases since the 70s, I believe.

Furthermore, and IANAL (yet obviously), I'm pretty sure there is case law that protects your naturalized citizenship even if you return to your native land and resume your citizenship there.

in the US there is, but the other country might not have the same view
(at least one country I know about may revoke citizenship of someone with dual citizenship living abroad)

I disclosed my dual citizenship and I don't think it affected my cycle at all.
I only had one (somewhat) unexpected rejection and I suspect reasons that have nothing to do with citizenship

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”