Waitlists and Deferrals - Do Law Schools Talk?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawapplicant89

Waitlists and Deferrals - Do Law Schools Talk?

Postby lawapplicant89 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 am

I've been granted a deferral from a law school I will be thrilled to attend next year. However, the admissions committee asked that I withdraw from every other school in order to accept this. I have no problem doing so and have done so with the exception of one wait list I'd like to stay on. Both schools in question are T14.

So, a few questions. Would the school I deferred from ever find out I'm on the wait list at another school? And if I get in off the wait list and then inform the school I'm deferred from of my plans, could they complain and could both schools rescind their offers? I would love to be completely upfront about this but they've put me in a real bind (which seems a bit much considering either way I'm not taking a spot in their fall class - so from their perspective of planning it shouldn't matter much). What are the risks (and how likely are they) of disobeying this part of the deferral agreement (which is not really binding)?

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Re: Waitlists and Deferrals - Do Law Schools Talk?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 am

Pretty risky behavior in my opinion. Why risk so much for the possibility of being accepted to a school that you cannot attend because you've contracted to do otherwise ? And, yes, they both could (and most likely would) rescind their offers of admission.

P.S. What makes you think that this part of the deferral agreement is not binding ?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Mon May 07, 2012 12:21 am

If the wording in the contract isn't clear, call up and ask. If it is, do what it says or risk being reporting to LSAC (definitely not worth it, someone on LSN tried this with ED and got royally screwed).

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon May 07, 2012 12:29 am

Whether they talk or not, there is no reason you should do this. If you get off the wait list at the other school, you'd obviously have to withdraw from the deferral that you just agreed to, at which point they likely want to know why. LSAC also releases where you deposit, and schools do check their lists to see if people double deposit, so I would think they could find this out.

Bottom line, pick one.

Postby 2014 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 am

They can't require you to drop off of WLs by LSAC's policy. They might check and not be pleased about it, but they have no right to rescind your admissions offer based on you staying on a WL.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 am

Are you willing to start school next year at the school you are WL at? At most schools, I thought an acceptance off the waitlist meant no deferral. In any case, it sounds like what you are doing is technically fine.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 am

2014 wrote:They can't require you to drop off of WLs by LSAC's policy. They might check and not be pleased about it, but they have no right to rescind your admissions offer based on you staying on a WL.

I would definitely double check this. This was true for regular decision seat deposits, but a deferral can be different because they are binding. The only deferral I had may have been different because money was involved, but just read the language carefully to be sure/call admissions and be up front about it.

lizaregina

Postby lizaregina » Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am

Did your deferral agreement let you list exceptions? Some schools will have a space where you can write any scenarios (ie waitlists)in which you will revoke your deferral.

Postby 727813 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 pm

According to the Ask Asha blog, "In the wake of a new rule promulgated by the Law School Admission Council, which specifically states that law schools may not require applicants to withdraw from schools from which they have not yet received a decision as a condition of accepting a scholarship or any other type of offer. I thought that this would clean things up in the world of sketchy admissions practices. Sadly, it looks like to the contrary, even more schools have joined the fray this year." ("Speaking of Law School Scams..." blog)

She also referenced the LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, which stated, "After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school."

So since it is after April 1, even if you accept the offer from one school, you are able to accept another one......Any other insight?

Postby 2014 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
2014 wrote:They can't require you to drop off of WLs by LSAC's policy. They might check and not be pleased about it, but they have no right to rescind your admissions offer based on you staying on a WL.

I would definitely double check this. This was true for regular decision seat deposits, but a deferral can be different because they are binding. The only deferral I had may have been different because money was involved, but just read the language carefully to be sure/call admissions and be up front about it.

Oh I don't doubt that the law school might put language that requires OP withdraw, I'm just saying that legally they can't do so and if they were to rescind the offer of admission based on that they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit and bad press on ATL and the like.

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu May 10, 2012 6:01 pm

:idea:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”