Applying for Fall of 2013--General Timeline?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Applying for Fall of 2013--General Timeline?

Postby Helicio » Sun May 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have a conception of a general time line of different steps in the admissions process for a rising senior who will be applying to law school in the fall. When can we start filling out applications, when should we start writing essays, when should we start asking for recommendations, etc.?

Thanks,

Helicio

spek

Re: Applying for Fall of 2013--General Timeline?

Postby spek » Sun May 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Start asking for recommendations now--give you professors or supervisors a package that includes your resume, a draft of your personal statement if you have one, any information you think might be helpful with writing a letter, and stamped + addressed envelopes for their letters.

Work on your essays during the summer--have them looked over by as many people as you can and then edit them several times. When you get closer to a final draft have people you trust take a very close look for you.

Apply as soon as applications open (or as close to that date as you can). Generally: before Halloween is very early, before thanksgiving is early and before Christmas is on time.

Good Luck!

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 am

spek wrote:Start asking for recommendations now--give you professors or supervisors a package that includes your resume, a draft of your personal statement if you have one, any information you think might be helpful with writing a letter, and stamped + addressed envelopes for their letters.

Work on your essays during the summer--have them looked over by as many people as you can and then edit them several times. When you get closer to a final draft have people you trust take a very close look for you.

Apply as soon as applications open (or as close to that date as you can). Generally: before Halloween is very early, before thanksgiving is early and before Christmas is on time.

Good Luck!

Awesome! Why ask for recs so early?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 am

Helicio wrote:Awesome! Why ask for recs so early?

Some professors take a few days to write a letter, some take many months. There have been horror stories posted here in the past.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Mon May 07, 2012 2:04 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Helicio wrote:Awesome! Why ask for recs so early?

Some professors take a few days to write a letter, some take many months. There have been horror stories posted here in the past.

Last year, I asked one of my professors in May if she would write a recommendation. I told her I would submitting my application as soon as they were ready on September 1st, so could she have it in by August 15th? She said yes. She submitted it in October with much bothering in the fall. (It turned out fine because I had to take the October LSAT, but it was quite stressful waiting.)

Ellee13

Postby Ellee13 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Definitely ask for recs now. I have no idea why, but it seems to take professors months to write and send out those letters. Also, depending on the time of year, I've heard it can take LSAC some time to process the applications. I knew I was taking a year off, so I asked my professors my senior year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”