Tips Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yoshikart

New

Tips

Post by yoshikart » Sun May 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Do law school admissions' offices receive tips on applicants

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun May 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Are you referring to this:
YLS Admissions Blog wrote:People who lie make me angry... You may be wondering how we would ever know. I'll be honest, unless my spidey senses go up when reading an application, I generally don't go around digging for dirt on people. But my friends, you would be shocked at the amount of random information that comes flowing into our office about various applicants, from sources other than themselves. There's more information than you realize about you out there...particularly if you've, you know, been out in public and interacted with people, for example in a law school test preparation class. Anyway, if and when it's appropriate, we do cross-check information we discover with the information provided on the student's application. In 98% of the cases, the information checks out. In the 2% that don't...well, those people get pulled from our pipeline and receive a ding letter. Pretty simple.
I'm fairly sure that:

(1) They're only going to consider information from reliable sources - not your college buddy/acquaintance.
(2) As stated above, they're going to cross-check/verify anything significant.
(3) They're not going to care about random college stuff (whether you drank beer in a dorm room, broke up with a girlfriend by email, et cetera).
(4) They're probably exaggerating a little to discourage lying.

I doubt many or any of the tips they receive are from college friends or acquaintances. My guess is that a lot of this information will come from people who know an applicant (professors, employers) contacting people they know at Yale to try and use conections to help the applicant out.

I was in email contact with a current student at a school I'd been accepted to, and I know she talked to someone in admissions about me - perhaps that sort of thing happens a bit also.

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Mon May 07, 2012 4:45 pm

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm

This sounds insanely paranoid. Unless you fail to include some LSDAS GPA-influencing transcripts, a C&F issue, or had your savant little brother take the LSAT for you, the only thing this will affect is your chance at Yale (at the VERY most.) You're not going to be doomed into a TTT law school because Yale found out you're secretly a bad father or something.
Would it be safer to just decline comment to every minimally intrusive question asked by my peers and never tell anyone anything unless they have a need to know?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the YLS admission blog that they don't like assholes, either. So no.

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 pm

yoshikart wrote:Would it be safer to just decline comment to every minimally intrusive question asked by my peers and never tell anyone anything unless they have a need to know?

What prevents someone from fabricating false rumors and sending them to admissions' offices?

Safer, perhaps. But a difficult way to make/keep friends and have a happy life.

Nothing prevents someone from fabrication, etc. except libel laws. Although you'll have a difficult time tracking down the perpetrator if schools don't give you the person's name or tell you of the communications in the first place.

yoshikart wrote:What do you think are the types of matters significant enough to warrant a verification?
Probably something that sounds too impressive to be true (e.g. Aleksey Vayner's claims).

(I would suspect that an allegation from a random person probably wouldn't be taken seriously and/or would be investigated - it wouldn't simply be assumed to be true.)

However, something from an employer/professor/undergrad would surely be taken seriously.

I have a hard time imagining a circumstance in which the school would give you the opportunity to "disprove" a claim - I doubt they're going to turn it into a "he said, she said" back-and-forth. They probably don't have time to do that sort of thing.

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 am

How on earth do you manage to build such a relationship with your Dean's office? Remember people - this is why you are always nice to the secretaries.

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 pm

yoshikart wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:How on earth do you manage to build such a relationship with your Dean's office? Remember people - this is why you are always nice to the secretaries.
It is what it is. What should I do about it?
what did you do?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 pm

I hope you're using a proxy OP.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm

sinfiery wrote:I hope you're using a proxy OP.
Ya. Serious shit.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Probably something that sounds too impressive to be true (e.g. Aleksey Vayner's claims).
I have somehow never seen that before. Thank you, Steve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm

yoshikart wrote: I don't have a great relationship with my dean's office--their dean's rec will say nothing but I fear that they might write the dean's rec and then later call YLS's admissions office directly to express their displeasure, even though the exchanges that might have caused their displeasure don't fit any question on the dean's rec (i.e., nothing disciplinary).
What does this even mean? Do you mean you have some kind of misconduct in your past, or something like you complained to them (or keep complaining) about profs/classmates or the like? If they're willing to give you a dean's letter saying you're in good standing, they are NOT going to call random admissions offices to "express their displeasure," in part because they have way too many other things to do, in part because it's good PR for them to have students go to YLS, and in part because if they issue the letter they have to stand behind it. Seriously, though, deans are way too busy and focused on the bigger picture to care about sabotaging individual students' LS apps.

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Do you really either hang out with enough jerks or piss off your friends/employers enough that you really think someone is going to complain to a LS admissions office about you?? Do the people you know not have lives?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Tips

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Except that most people don't keep LS admissions offices on speed dial. If it's some random persecuting soul who has no grounds to think you're a terrible person, no reasonable LS admissions person is going to pay any attention to them. And if you didn't hide/obfuscate anything on your application, again, no one's going to care. (If they'd care, they'd ask about it.)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 pm

yoshikart wrote:
dingbat wrote: what did you do?
nothing that would necessitate a yes to a CF question.
We need a little more than this to know if it's something you should worry about.
If all it was was you being loud and disruptive outside the dean's office once or twice, then that's no big deal, but if you were constantly harassing the staff and had to receive several verbal warnings, that's a different matter

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Admissions people will not care what a random fellow undergraduate thinks of you (unless they had dirt on stuff that you'd have had to admit on C&F, which you've said isn't the case). Seriously. They just won't. What on earth could a fellow classmate say that would make you look like a bad candidate for law school? You suck up in class? You were in a group project with them and made them do all the work? You're sleeping with the prof? (Okay, that last might be dodgy... but again, LSs. won't. care.)

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Your paranoia is bordering on "a beautiful mind" status. Either you've done something really messed up that should prevent you from any employment/education, or you are worrying for no apparent reason.

Again, unless you have really fucked something up, no o e is trying to ruin your life.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Admissions people will not care what a random fellow undergraduate thinks of you (unless they had dirt on stuff that you'd have had to admit on C&F, which you've said isn't the case). Seriously. They just won't. What on earth could a fellow classmate say that would make you look like a bad candidate for law school? You suck up in class? You were in a group project with them and made them do all the work? You're sleeping with the prof? (Okay, that last might be dodgy... but again, LSs. won't. care.)
Maybe if OP earned some extra money by dealing drugs - but that'd be a "he said, she said" argument, which doesn't count for squat

yoshikart

New

Post by yoshikart » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Last edited by yoshikart on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”