Multiple Deposit Etiquette

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fakehunter

Multiple Deposit Etiquette

Postby fakehunter » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm

I deposited at my one of my dream schools in mid-April, but last week, I got off the waitlist at my other most-excited choice. I have not yet visited my waitlist-accept school yet, and I need to submit my first deposit within a week, but I will not have the opportunity to visit until after my college graduation, which is in about two weeks. I am heavily considering submitting a deposit and visiting the school right after graduation, and then making an informed decision.

Neither of my schools in question have the single-seat-deposit rule, but do I need to inform one or both of them that I will be holding two deposits until further notice? Thanks!

danielhay11

Re: Multiple Deposit Etiquette

Postby danielhay11 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 am

fakehunter wrote:I deposited at my one of my dream schools in mid-April, but last week, I got off the waitlist at my other most-excited choice. I have not yet visited my waitlist-accept school yet, and I need to submit my first deposit within a week, but I will not have the opportunity to visit until after my college graduation, which is in about two weeks. I am heavily considering submitting a deposit and visiting the school right after graduation, and then making an informed decision.

Neither of my schools in question have the single-seat-deposit rule, but do I need to inform one or both of them that I will be holding two deposits until further notice? Thanks!

Have you asked school #2 to extend your deposit deadline by a week or so? While they're in a rush to fill left over seats, they may be understanding of what a busy time and big decision this is for you. I would email their admissions department and offer to make a decision within 24 hours of your visit and see what they say; it's not like they can un-accept you.

If that fails, there's not necessarily an etiquette for double depositing; schools know it happens. However, keep in mind that, beginning May 15, LSAC publishes a list of students who have double deposited. Some schools (eg, UVA) begin withdrawing offers of admission from double-deposited students. Since I assume your visit will likely occur after May 15, make sure you check your schools' policies before double depositing.

fakehunter

Re: Multiple Deposit Etiquette

Postby fakehunter » Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 am

danielhay11 wrote:
fakehunter wrote:I deposited at my one of my dream schools in mid-April, but last week, I got off the waitlist at my other most-excited choice. I have not yet visited my waitlist-accept school yet, and I need to submit my first deposit within a week, but I will not have the opportunity to visit until after my college graduation, which is in about two weeks. I am heavily considering submitting a deposit and visiting the school right after graduation, and then making an informed decision.

Have you asked school #2 to extend your deposit deadline by a week or so? While they're in a rush to fill left over seats, they may be understanding of what a busy time and big decision this is for you. I would email their admissions department and offer to make a decision within 24 hours of your visit and see what they say; it's not like they can un-accept you.

If that fails, there's not necessarily an etiquette for double depositing; schools know it happens. However, keep in mind that, beginning May 15, LSAC publishes a list of students who have double deposited. Some schools (eg, UVA) begin withdrawing offers of admission from double-deposited students. Since I assume your visit will likely occur after May 15, make sure you check your schools' policies before double depositing.

Thanks. I would need a deadline extension of two weeks, so I will ask, but I'm not sure that will go quite well. And I'm certain that the school I'm currently deposited at allows multiple deposits until the second deposit, which is in mid June. I'll find out about the new school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”