C&F Issue...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FinallyGoing

C&F Issue...

Postby FinallyGoing » Sat May 05, 2012 11:56 pm

peanut butter.
Last edited by FinallyGoing on Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Rover

Re: C&F Issue...

Postby The Rover » Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Just attach an addendum and write out what you just wrote for us.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm

The Rover wrote:Just attach an addendum and write out what you just wrote for us.

What are your thoughts on disclosing the details of the case? Should I leave them out, as I have done above?

scoTTTie Pippen

Postby scoTTTie Pippen » Sun May 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Be clear and concise in your addendum. Detail the incident, note how you matured and it was your only offense, and don't make excuses.

I outperformed my numbers as a vanilla applicant. Single minor C&F issues will not impact your cycle.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sun May 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm not so sure you should detail the incident. Maybe other people can chime in on that. It could also depend on what you did. I mean, if this "wobbler" offense involved you somehow manipulating elderly people into signing over their social security checks I think I would leave that part out.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Betharl wrote:I'm not so sure you should detail the incident. Maybe other people can chime in on that. It could also depend on what you did. I mean, if this "wobbler" offense involved you somehow manipulating elderly people into signing over their social security checks I think I would leave that part out.

Last edited by FinallyGoing on Sun May 06, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

1) You were charged with a felony initially
2) You were arrested
3) The charge: "Obtaining Money or Property Under False Pretenses" will require disclosure of specifics.
4) You were above the age of 18 at the time of the offense

Any responsible admissions committee, as well as any state bar, will ask for & require full disclosure. State bars are likely to examine the underlying factors such as the complaints filed by the victims.

What was the misdemeanor charge ?

Disclose in a manner that is remorseful & accepting of responsibility. The best advice, however, is to hire an attorney that handles bar disciplinary matters & follow that lawyer's advice. A few thousand dollars, or less, now may preserve the value of your upcoming law school investment.

P.S. You were charged at age 20, but how old were you when the offenses were committed ? Also, was it one charge or multiple charges (since you referred to two transactions) ?

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Sun May 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Last edited by FinallyGoing on Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 pm

You'll have to disclose the charge "Obtaining Money or Property Under False Pretenses" on your law school applications. Details will be expected & required. The effect on your law school applications will probably vary by school & depend upon the underlying facts. In short, without full disclosure here (and I'm not asking you to do so) any predictions are merely guesses based on insufficient information.

P.S. I'm a bit sceptical about the claim of receiving advice from two state bars & from two attorneys. If you have an attorney advising you on this matter, then it seems that more discretion, and less public disclosure, might be the wiser course of action. What you write now on law school applications is likely to be reviewed by any state bar to which you seek admission, therefore, your attorney should be involved now to protect your interests three or four years down the road. Additionally, state bars typically want to review the facts before offering any "opinion".

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”