Retakes and seat deposits.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scuppers

Retakes and seat deposits.

Postby Scuppers » Wed May 02, 2012 4:06 am

So I'm a 167 3.7. Got score in Dec. Wasn't happy. Retook in Feb, felt I bombed, and cancelled it. Registered for June, my third and final shot, but I'm extremely busy with work and will be until the summer.

My previous plan was just take it in June and hope my guesses pan out this time, then apply in Oct with two scores. But now I'm thinking of just applying with my current stats in the fall. Then I'd register for the June 2013 test. Then seat deposit my best option. Then take June test and stick with my choice if my score is same or lower or withdraw and reapply in 2013 if I go up at least 2-3 points. Has anyone actually done this?

Here are my questions:

1) It seems most seat deposits are due in May and it's a fairly modest fee. I assume that most schools want a second, larger deposit before classes actually begin. When is that due, and how much is it, generally?

2) Is the score from the June test reported automatically? Would a significant bomb (say, 10 points) tank an admittance offer or scholarship offer? (Or even scholarship stipulations?)

3) Are you required to tell schools that you plan to retake the test if you make that decision/register after you submit your application?

I like this idea in theory, I just want to make sure it's allowed and ethical and would not hurt me in the event that I have a horrible fluke on my third try.

Last option would be to simply retake in October and apply at that time, but the October test isn't available in my part of the world, so that's a hassle, and I really wanted to get my apps submitted at the very start of the cycle.

Thanks.

Nova

Re: Retakes and seat deposits.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Scuppers wrote:
Here are my questions:

1) It seems most seat deposits are due in May and it's a fairly modest fee. I assume that most schools want a second, larger deposit before classes actually begin. When is that due, and how much is it, generally?

2) Is the score from the June test reported automatically? Would a significant bomb (say, 10 points) tank an admittance offer or scholarship offer? (Or even scholarship stipulations?)

3) Are you required to tell schools that you plan to retake the test if you make that decision/register after you submit your application?

I like this idea in theory, I just want to make sure it's allowed and ethical and would not hurt me in the event that I have a horrible fluke on my third try.

Last option would be to simply retake in October and apply at that time, but the October test isn't available in my part of the world, so that's a hassle, and I really wanted to get my apps submitted at the very start of the cycle.

Thanks.

I have been considering this too, and asked the same questions elsewhere. I got a 167 too. Heres the thread where people answerd my questions about the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184024

1. Depends on the school. Ask the school.

2. No, they wont take away your admission/ scholarships.

3. No, you dont have to tell them

4. Yes, it is perfectly allowed and ethical

5. Good luck in June!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”