Alcohol Arrests Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
peaches10

New

Alcohol Arrests

Post by peaches10 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm

I have been arrested twice:

Once for public intoxication and disorderly conduct and again about 7 months later for public intoxication. I am currently on a years worth of probation that expires in March '13.

I plan to apply as a class of '16 law student and am wondering how these arrests will affect my admission and bar passage.

Fairly repetitive question, but I see it asked by a lot of individuals who are several years removed from their undergrad education/arrests. I'm still an undergrad and will be on probation while my application is reviewed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Alcohol Arrests

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 4:29 pm

State bar associations tend to understand tax & alcohol (substance abuse) issues. Very forgiving if you seek & complete treatment & remain free of further infractions. DUI, however, is not taken as lightly.

crEEp

Bronze

Post by crEEp » Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm

As long as you don't fuck up in law school (and believe me, this is a legitimate challenge...), the bar won't give you a hard time. They care more about habitual offenders whose actions call into question their ability to uphold the standards of the profession. What I do suggest is to keep a "shit happens" file folder with certified copies of the final dispositions from these matters (along with all traffic tickets and other stuff). You can get this from the clerk's office at the adjudicating courts, and believe me, future you will be absurdly grateful.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Very forgiving if you seek & complete treatment & remain free of further infractions.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 pm

peaches10 wrote:I have been arrested twice:

Once for public intoxication and disorderly conduct and again about 7 months later for public intoxication. I am currently on a years worth of probation that expires in March '13.

I plan to apply as a class of '16 law student and am wondering how these arrests will affect my admission and bar passage.

Fairly repetitive question, but I see it asked by a lot of individuals who are several years removed from their undergrad education/arrests. I'm still an undergrad and will be on probation while my application is reviewed.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I agree with the posters above. But you should also examine why it is that you received those two infractions. One is generally viewed as young and immature, two is more of a behavior trend. Do you have a family history? Is this a bigger issue? If so, you want to mentally toughen yourself up before you enter law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YYZ

Bronze

Post by YYZ » Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 pm

I know this is somewhat repetitive, but the state bar generally wants to see if you go 3 years with no other similar offenses. In addition, to criminal offenses, they will want you to pay off any income taxes owed, etc. during your 3 years of law school.

Like one of the earlier posters said, if you have any alcohol related offenses while you're in law school, that could be a huge problem.

tlahood

New

Post by tlahood » Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am

edit
Last edited by tlahood on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am

If you accomplished all that in one night, then you need to write a movie script. :D

tlahood

New

Post by tlahood » Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 pm

edit
Last edited by tlahood on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

tlahood wrote:Well once upon a time a police officer tried to give me a drinking ticket, so I decided to run away. I ran off campus about five miles. The police couldnt catch me on foot, and couldnt cut me off with any of their nine police cars. So they had to use a police dog to catch me. Consequently, i went to the hospital, and straight to jail for two days.

I think it would make an excellent movie! Maybe thats why when i had to send this police report to some schools i still managed to get in?
Any chance you'd be willing to post your PS / addendum?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 04, 2012 4:08 pm

YYZ wrote:I know this is somewhat repetitive, but the state bar generally wants to see if you go 3 years with no other similar offenses. In addition, to criminal offenses, they will want you to pay off any income taxes owed, etc. during your 3 years of law school.

Like one of the earlier posters said, if you have any alcohol related offenses while you're in law school, that could be a huge problem.
where do you get this 3 year number?

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Actually,

I got a drunk and disorderly, trespassing (same night), an mip, a fake ID and driving (a moped) without tags (same day). I got in everywhere I should have, but got WL'd at one of my schools, specifically due to my C&F history (they told me that was why). I have since gotten off the WL (after visiting and explaining the situation, in addition to generally kicking ass recently (getting published in an undergraduate journal, and a couple of 4.0s)).

This stuff isn't make or break, but it almost kept me out of my top choice.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 05, 2012 1:14 am

EMAW12 wrote:Actually,

I got a drunk and disorderly, trespassing (same night), an mip, a fake ID and driving (a moped) without tags (same day). I got in everywhere I should have, but got WL'd at one of my schools, specifically due to my C&F history (they told me that was why). I have since gotten off the WL (after visiting and explaining the situation, in addition to generally kicking ass recently (getting published in an undergraduate journal, and a couple of 4.0s)).

How long ago were these incidences?

I can tell you liked aggieville as much as me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:06 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Ha...

I mean, they were all throughout college, really. The most recent one was the drunk and disorderly which was in KC (night of the Duke bball game a couple of years ago).

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 05, 2012 2:28 am

Just my own anecdotal story....

I was arrested for DUI a few years ago. Obviously, I wrote an addendum.

I did not seek treatment or otherwise attend counseling. However, since it is the only blemish on my record, I was told by the few law schools I asked that it would not adversely affect the bar and it obviously has not affected my admissions. They want to see if there is a pattern of behavior. I have a "blip." (Albeit, a DUI is a very serious thing :( ) You have what may be considered a pattern.

I would think it couldn't hurt to get into some type of alcohol course that gives you a certificate. This will show you addressed the behavior issue. I can argue I suffered a lapse, an anomaly of character...which is true, as I barely even consume. But when these actions take place more than once it becomes a behavior pattern. Think of it as two dots on a chart. You can draw a line from them, make connections in a chronology. If you address it properly, you still should be able to get into law school. I would call the bars for the states you are interested in and ask them what you can do to make yourself a better candidate, too. But first of all, you need to stop putting yourself in the situations or stop drinking. And DO NOT get into trouble while in law school.

Good luck.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 pm

EMAW12 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Ha...

I mean, they were all throughout college, really. The most recent one was the drunk and disorderly which was in KC (night of the Duke bball game a couple of years ago).
Dude, we have similar lives. Power and light district is a mother.

YYZ

Bronze

Post by YYZ » Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
YYZ wrote:I know this is somewhat repetitive, but the state bar generally wants to see if you go 3 years with no other similar offenses. In addition, to criminal offenses, they will want you to pay off any income taxes owed, etc. during your 3 years of law school.

where do you get this 3 year number?

In Texas, we go through the C&F process during our first year of law school. We're letting the Texas Bar know about our "past" as of the beginning of the 1L year. This includes criminal violations, drug/alcohol problems/offenses, bad credit history, etc. The Texas Bar performs an FBI style background to make sure that you've disclosed everything. Then, like everyone else, we have to clear C&F again before we take the bar exam. The rough 3-year period I'm referring to is from your 1L first semester up to the point you take the bar exam. My understanding is that "past sins" can be mitigated or rectified by having a clean record during this period. For example, if you have outstanding warrants, unpaid income taxes, etc., you must get these things cleared up before you take the bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”