Crap-is it panic mode yet for me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
partypajamas

New

Crap-is it panic mode yet for me?

Post by partypajamas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I am a sophmore in college now. I have a great GPA (3.8 ) and am sure I want to attend law school. I love debating, politics, philosphy, etc. and I beleive law is the profession for me.

Time has really flown over my head....I wish to attend law school straight out of college, and am extremely scared now considering the timeline for the LSAT is NEXT summer!!

What is my best course of action/plan? This summer, I will have a simple job 6 hrs a day. The rest is open for LSAT prep... Is it time to go full throttle with the LSAT prep this summer? Did i miss out on valuable time this past year? :(

adam1

Bronze

Re: Crap-is it panic mode yet for me?

Post by adam1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm

partypajamas wrote:I am a sophmore in college now. I have a great GPA (3.8) and am sure I want to attend law school. I love debating, politics, philosphy, etc. and I beleive law is the profession for me.

Time has really flown over my head....I wish to attend law school straight out of college, and am extremely scared now considering the timeline for the LSAT is NEXT summer!!

What is my best course of action/plan? This summer, I will have a simple job 6 hrs a day. The rest is open for LSAT prep... Is it time to go full throttle with the LSAT prep this summer? Did i miss out on valuable time this past year? :(
Lol. You're actually way ahead of the game. Relax. A lot of us decide law school as seniors or after UG. You sound nuts. I think law school is a good fit.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm

partypajamas wrote:I am a sophmore in college now. I have a great GPA (3.8 ) and am sure I want to attend law school. I love debating, politics, philosphy, etc. and I beleive law is the profession for me.

Law has nothing to do with debating, politics, or philosophy. Have you taken a practice LSAT yet? Well law school is like three years of studying for and taking the LSAT over and over. That's why they use the LSAT as an admissions exam.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm

partypajamas wrote:I love debating, politics, philosphy
The real practice of law generally involves minimal amounts of this stuff.

HTH

edit: scooped by Ray

partypajamas

New

Post by partypajamas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Well what else am i going to do? i failed high school algebra 2 so i cant do business. i love reading and analyzing stuff....and am highly logical is law really a bad fit?

How am i AHEAD of the curve? I am aiming for a 175 ish on the LSAT.... Im gonna need all the time in the world to accomplish that. I may just drop the summer job completely

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Have you taken a diagnostic yet? Take one under timed conditions and see where you're at. You probably don't need a full year to prep.

Also why are you so eager to go straight to law school. Why not take a year off and work?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 pm

partypajamas wrote:Well what else am i going to do?
TERRIBLE reason to go to law school. Law school is NOT the only career in the world in which you read stuff and doesn't involve math. Cmon bro.

partypajamas

New

Post by partypajamas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Im considering getting a job but im already a bit behind schedule due to repeating high school. What other careers dont require any math at all? Ive considered getting a PHD in international relations or politics also.... but money is my main concern. If i didnt get into a t14 i would get a job instead

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Also, failing Algebra 2 does not suggest someone highly analytical. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

partypajamas

New

Post by partypajamas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 pm

haha, i have changed SIGNIFICANTLY. graduated hs with 1.5 GPA ->UNC chapel hill 3.8

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 pm

how does one even graduate with a 1.5 gpa?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 pm

First of all ...don't panic. If you have a year to study you should be able to make at least a 170+. Take a practice LSAT under real timing conditions ( usually Kaplan, PR and other prep companies let you sit in on one for free). Your LSAT score will probably suck at first, unless you are a super logical genius to being with. The test isn't exactly intuitive ( especially logical games), but it is certainly learnable. To give you an example, I started at 148 and then made a 168 on test day. I know it's lower than your 175 goal, but I also didn't study for a year. After you take the test, I would suggest reading the power score LSAT bible trilogy. They are top-notch books. Then , if you can afford it, take a prep course ( TestMasters or Powerscore). Many people do just fine without a course, but I for one benefited from it...and if you can afford it, I can't imagine it would hurt.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:15 pm

And my 3.8 GPA and 168 LSAT got me into the t14

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Bro, calm down. Take the LSAT whenever you can devote a significant portion of your time to it. You'll know you're done when you're scoring consistently within your score goals. That might not be this year and it might even be a few years after college. The best thing anyone in college can learn-when it comes to law school admissions-is to take a year or two off before going back to school. I guess the best thing anyone can learn in college though is go take a chill and go fuck around. You're in college, appreciate the vacation before the real world.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm glad I won't have to go to school with you lol. You're gonna be that guy in October going "ZOMG, FINALS ARE COMMING! I MUST STUDY NOW!!!!!" and start knocking out 14 hour days when it is way to early, causing everyone to start that which will lead to stress fo everyone. You bastard, have you no empathy?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TERRIBLE reason to go to law school. Law school is NOT the only career in the world in which you read stuff and doesn't involve math. Cmon bro.
Couldn't agree more.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:59 pm

partypajamas wrote:Well what else am i going to do? i failed high school algebra 2 so i cant do business. i love reading and analyzing stuff....and am highly logical is law really a bad fit?

How am i AHEAD of the curve? I am aiming for a 175 ish on the LSAT.... Im gonna need all the time in the world to accomplish that. I may just drop the summer job completely
If you're not trolling, you're one amusing character.

"What else am I going to do?" Plenty. Find an entry level career and bust your hump. There are too many unemployed lawyers with your mentality and personality. Barring an incredible LSAT score and some good luck, your anxiety will probably handicap you. I mean, listen to yourself. I don't even know you and you're already rubbing me the wrong way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

partypajamas

New

Post by partypajamas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:05 pm

I will definitly further research...but with a BA in political science, what can i do that makes a lot of $$? I know theres jobs for me, but i need the $$!!

Also another newbie question-are there any jobs for JDS that involve traveling? like consulting? i love traveling

also, do all jobs for JDs involve long, miserable hours? because thats what a ton of people are saying

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:15 pm

partypajamas wrote:I will definitly further research...but with a BA in political science, what can i do that makes a lot of $$? I know theres jobs for me, but i need the $$!!

Also another newbie question-are there any jobs for JDS that involve traveling? like consulting? i love traveling

also, do all jobs for JDs involve long, miserable hours? because thats what a ton of people are saying
Troll, absolute troll. But I'll play along.

You want to make a lot of money with little work. Do you see the conflicting values there? Every American would like to crest six figures; the sad reality is that we can't all be special snowflakes (national median = $45-50k/year). Political science is a generic degree that won't lead you to a specific career. Take a $15,000 loan, a fraction of the amount you would spend on law school, and use it to offset your COL while volunteering for a politician. You'll probably have to work six to twelve months for free to land a paid gig entailing long hours and low pay, but it will be a step-in-the-door. Continue slaving away and you might have a respectable career in a couple of years. Otherwise, go apply to some entry level corporate gigs. They usually just want a degree, regardless of what it is.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:Also, failing Algebra 2 does not suggest someone highly analytical. HTH.

All Hail rad lulz, the God of Reasons to Attend Law School!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 pm

TERRIBLE reason to go to law school. Law school is NOT the only career in the world in which you read stuff and doesn't involve math. Cmon bro.[/quote]

Completely agree with this.
rad lulz wrote:Also, failing Algebra 2 does not suggest someone highly analytical. HTH.
rad lulz wrote:
But this is stupid. There are tons of reasons that could cause a person to fail Algebra 2. I did pretty terriblly in math during HS and probably couldn't have made it past Calculus 1 in college, but I did fine on the LSAT and am doing just fine at my T14.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

realhero

New

Post by realhero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:59 pm

protein wrote:how does one even graduate with a 1.5 gpa?
+1

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:14 am

mrtoren wrote: They usually just want a degree, regardless of what it is.
Corporate person here who looks at your applications: No we don't.
Last edited by Gail on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 am

realhero wrote:
protein wrote:how does one even graduate with a 1.5 gpa?
+1
Better question is how does someone with a 1.5 HS gpa get to UNC chapel hill? Even if they got a 4.0 as a freshman, schools ask for HS transcripts and he/she would have been dinged on the transfer on account of that.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 am

Just because Pajama is new, and might not know this, there is no reason you could give that would make TLS members say, "Yeah, good reason to go to law school."

You Say: I want to be a lawyer
They Say: Why do you want to be a lawyer?

You Say: I like to debate, reason, look for the flaws in logic, or create arguments based on reasoning patterns.
They Say: LOL. Lawyers don't do that.

You Say: Money and Prestige
They Say: No one but big law makes money/No one likes lawyers

You Say: Because I want to help people/Make a difference
They Say: Better ways to do either of those things.

The contrary attitude might make them better lawyers, but it makes conversation tough. Which might make them better lawyers. Its a pretty vicious cycle. Still, never, ever, come on here for validation. This place is a pit of misgiving and cynicism and you're always way too early/way too late, or altogether too serious/not giving it enough. You can get good advice in the general way, but once you start getting away from specific, functional questions then shit'll get derailed on you real fast.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”