Quitting my job in grand fashion - C&F issue?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bmore

Re: Quitting my job in grand fashion - C&F issue?

Postby bmore » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:45 pm

If this is Lockhardt Gardiner then definitely do it. O/W just tell the truth. If you are quitting because of what they did to FIL (even if he weren't your FIL) then tell them. If you are quitting because you want some time off or just because he is FIL then don't.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm of the belief that you NEVER burn bridges. If you can't work for them anymore, I'd nicely put in my 2-weeks notice, thanking them but stating you have to prepare for your move when you start LS. You just never know where your path will lead / who you'll run into and / or need at a later time.

If you feel strongly enough that you don't care and you have to do something (which given the right scenario could be valid), then I'd suggest doing it in a professional manner (nicely state, write, or type, why they are horrible people and why you're quitting). Really, that'll have more of an effect than a screaming match.. what's that really going to solve? You're going to leave and they are going to state "wow what an ass" to each other. They are actually more likely to take some consideration to what you say if it is done through other means.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

You aren't defending the honor of your FIL. The decision to push him out is likely a business decision, not a personal matter . Respond appropriately, with the business decision to resign. If he were fired for some personal reason I might be more receptive to "quitting in grand fashion," but in this case two things are certain; no one will care and you will be laughed at.

realhero

Postby realhero » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Never burn bridges that don't have to be burned. ....you never know

I agree. I've actually been in a somewhat similar position as you are in now, although it was with an internship. I basically burned bridges, and although haven't faced any consequences of it, I do regret 'being authentic' at the risk of being politic. Don't do it.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:32 pm

It's a smaller world than you think. At the very least it could damage your relationship with your father in law. And the others in the business might be your future clients.

But no, it's not plausibly C&F-related.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 pm

When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXqJ3A6NWw

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:40 pm

yuzu wrote:It's a smaller world than you think. At the very least it could damage your relationship with your father in law. And the others in the business might be your future clients.

But no, it's not plausibly C&F-related.

It is if instead of accepting your resignation they fire you for cause.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue May 01, 2012 12:52 am

Depends on how large this place is. If it's small, you run a higher risk. If there's an actual HR person there, they'll give your employer your date of hire and termination, job title, and that's about it.

I still wouldn't risk it though. You really wanna worry about this 3 years from now?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 am

Beyond just C&F implications, I would worry about the potential problems this could cause when you are looking for a job later on. Generally speaking, when you leave a job, you want your supervisors to think highly of you on your way out the door. You're going to need to list the job on your resume as well as on future job applications. If you try to work for the federal government at any point, they'll want the phone numbers of your supervisor at every job you've ever held (this happened to me last summer). Private employers are less of a risk, but many will still follow up on references. Or if they know someone who works at your old employer, they might just make call over there see what they thought of you.

In other words, there are a lot of ways that this could come back to bite you. With all of that said, if you feel compelled to do something, I'd say that the passive aggressive approach above is much better than getting into an outright screaming match. If you make a huge scene, it might end up being the talk of the office the following day, and people will be more likely to remember it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”