Is there hope??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jtorre1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Is there hope??

Postby Jtorre1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 am

Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby llachans » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:07 am

Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?

Everyone will say come back with a real score. You should be able to add some points onto your LSAT. Try and break 160. Even breaking 155 as a URM will give you more options.

If you haven't viewed them, look at:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Ded Precedent » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 am

You should aim higher and really buckle down for your LSAT prep because that is what will be the most reliable predictor of where you should send apps to. Start by browsing the LSAT forum and check out pithypike's guide. There's a ton of great stuff, you're in the right place. :D

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:10 am

LSAT is a very learnable test. A 148 diagnostic can definitely be improved if you put in the work.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby gaud » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 am

My diagnostic was a 148 and I ended up with a 170. (after a couple of tries :D )

Best of luck to you.

kamaya
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:44 am

Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.

User avatar
boredatwork
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:01 am

Those law school predicting sites don't predict very well. Take everything they say with a grain of salt. I scored a 150 on my diagnostic, took the powerscore course and ended up with a 161.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 am

kamaya wrote:
Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.


No. You can not get into any decent law schools with a 148. Law schools are not in "need of students" they're greedy and want to take your tuition dollars

kamaya
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:53 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
kamaya wrote:
Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.


No. You can not get into any decent law schools with a 148. Law school are not in "need of students" they're greedy and want to take your tuition dollars


One most certainly can get into a decent school with a 148 lsat score. You need to do your research. Without students there are no "tuition dollars." That's simple logic.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 am

kamaya wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
kamaya wrote:
Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.


No. You can not get into any decent law schools with a 148. Law school are not in "need of students" they're greedy and want to take your tuition dollars


One most certainly can get into a decent school with a 148 lsat score. You need to do your research. Without students there are no "tuition dollars." That's simple logic.


Stop. You are wrong.

User avatar
boredatwork
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 am

Don't listen to the Troll. In another thread he/she is trying to convince tls it is a good idea to pay sticker at a school that placed 1 part time graduate in a firm above 10 lawyers (0 full time).

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 am

kamaya wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
kamaya wrote:
Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.


No. You can not get into any decent law schools with a 148. Law school are not in "need of students" they're greedy and want to take your tuition dollars


One most certainly can get into a decent school with a 148 lsat score. You need to do your research. Without students there are no "tuition dollars." That's simple logic.


Link me to your research that shows you can get into a decent law school with a 148.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 am

kamaya wrote:
Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Scoring a 148 on a diagnostic is much different from taking the actual lsat under timed conditions and an environment where you may jot be all that comfortable. Nevertheless, scoring a 148 is a good start. My question however is did you take a prep course or did you take the diagnostic cold turkey? If you didn't take a prep course yet, I would definitely invest in one and your lsat score will surely improve above a 148 which will give you a real chance of getting into a top 100. Still, you can get into a decent law school with a 148 with the way law schools are in need of students. Just make sure you have excellent recommendations and a solid personal statement and be sure to gain a rapport with admissions officers or recruiters for the school at which you will be applying to.


The 4th tier schools you are referring to are not decent. In fact, most should be shut down.

Those schools will accept a 148 only because they want your 100k+....

Even if those schools need students, the legal market sure as hell doesn't need their future attorneys.

This is all irrelevant to the op. Op, don't worry. I improved from 149 to 167. Many many people on this site have had similar success. Good luck!

melanne89
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby melanne89 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:37 am

Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


Since you're taking time off, I see no reason to not take a prep course (Testmasters or Blueprint.).

Take a Prep course this summer, work on apps and have everything ready to apply in Sept or early oct. Take the October LSAT with a higher score. You'll increase your chances significantly with even a 7-10 pt increase and an early application submission.


Also, if you cannot afford a prep course at full price, many offer scholarship and reduced pricing options for low-income people (it does require an app and essay though.)


Don't sell yourself short and apply with that score.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 am

melanne89 wrote: Take the October LSAT with a higher score.


This seems like the best plan for the op. Just enough time to study plus a possible retake if something goes disastrous.

Also, Op, getting into a top 100 law school isn't enough. You have to aim to do well enough to earn a scholarship.

blurose
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby blurose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 am

I scored 148 on my first diag and 169 on the LSAT. It can be done. Though you might have to move into a library for four or five months...

kamaya
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 am

boredatwork wrote:Don't listen to the Troll. In another thread he/she is trying to convince tls it is a good idea to pay sticker at a school that placed 1 part time graduate in a firm above 10 lawyers (0 full time).


Don't spread rumors on TLS just because you're bord at work. I never said it was a good idea to pay sticker at any school. Get your facts straight.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

blurose wrote:I scored 148 on my first diag and 169 on the LSAT. It can be done. Though you might have to move into a library for four or five months...


I have plenty of former students who started in the 140s and ended up in the 160s (some even the 170s). It definitely can be done. The test is learnable, so take the time to learn it. Because, as others have said, a 148 isn't going to qualify you for a law school that I would recommend attending.

SLim1124
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby SLim1124 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:58 pm

The first time I took the LSAT in 2008 I got a 148. Applied tons of places - denied from all except Syracuse (ranked at #100 at the time) where I was waitlisted. Take the advice of these other guys who posted. I sat a full Manhattan LSAT course, took it in 2011 and got a 158. Got me in to T60 and T50 schools. So if a boost of 10 points translates to 50 spots that might be worth $1200 to you.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm

I had a student who went from a 146 to a 165 on the real thing. Yes, you can improve! Just study hard (like 4 times a week for 3 hours at a time) hard and if you can afford it, take a prep course. A score in the 160s plus your URM status will result in top-14 acceptances if your GPA is good enough. What is your GPA?

edit: Just saw your GPA. Sorry I didn't read carefully before.

This matters: what kind of URM?

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Gail » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Jtorre1 wrote:Hey guys! I took a diagnostic and scored 148. I am graduating from a UC school with a 3.4 and a decent resume. I am also taking a year off to work in LA at a community organizing organization. I am also a URM

My question is what are the chances of getting into a top 100 program?


148 isn't that bad. You can improve by 10-20 points. Especially if you missed on the logic games. Those are all about graph and inference. Practice those constantly and you'll be close to perfect.

Jtorre1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Is there hope??

Postby Jtorre1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:48 am

emkay625 wrote:I had a student who went from a 146 to a 165 on the real thing. Yes, you can improve! Just study hard (like 4 times a week for 3 hours at a time) hard and if you can afford it, take a prep course. A score in the 160s plus your URM status will result in top-14 acceptances if your GPA is good enough. What is your GPA?

edit: Just saw your GPA. Sorry I didn't read carefully before.

This matters: what kind of URM?


I am half Puerto Rican and Honduran




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Mr. Archer, vivehodie and 7 guests