Law School and Undergrad Schedules

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Falcon2012

Re: Law School and Undergrad Schedules

Postby Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:What does graduating with honors have to do with anything? Your lsac gpa sucks, your best chance of getting into a law school worth going to is to get as high an LSAT as possible

I guess nothing. It is just to fool people. Anyone can get it anyways right?

Why is this forum filled with cynical people?

I never said I have shitty grades. Did I? My GPA is 2.93 according to LSADAS, but I am still taking classes and I am positive I will take it up to 3.2 area at least. According UC Riverside my gpa is 3.49 and increasing.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:What does graduating with honors have to do with anything? Your lsac gpa sucks, your best chance of getting into a law school worth going to is to get as high an LSAT as possible

I never said I have shitty grades. Did I? My GPA is 2.93 according to LSADAS, but I am still taking classes and I am positive I will take it up to 3.2 area at least. According UC Riverside my gpa is 3.49 and increasing.

Congrats on graduating with honors, didn't mean to shit on your accomplishment. But it means absolutely nothing in terms of law school admissions. To law schools you have a sub 3.0 and your upward trend is worthless. Believe me dude I was in a similar situation as you. You've gotta retake and wait a year
Last edited by Ludo! on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

Falcon2012 wrote:I never said I have shitty grades.

Falcon2012 wrote: My GPA is 2.93 according to LSADAS, but I am still taking classes and I am positive I will take it up to 3.2 area at least. According UC Riverside my gpa is 3.49 and increasing.

QED

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:17 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

Congrats on graduating with honors, didn't mean to shit on your accomplishment. But it means absolutely nothing in terms of law school admissions. To law schools you have a sub 3.0 and your upward trend is worthless. Believe me dude I was in a similar situation as you. You've gotta retake and wait a year

If you don't mind me asking. What was your situation and which law schools did you get into?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 am

Graduated magna cum laude but had a few years of horrific CC grades. LSAC gpa was barely above 3.0. First LSAT was OK but not great so I retook and did much better. Now I go to a decent regional T1 with a nice scholarship. I knew my gpa was going to be a hurdle so I did nothing but focus on the LSAT for months and that's what you need to do

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

Falcon2012 wrote: My GPA is 2.93 according to LSADAS, but I am still taking classes and I am positive I will take it up to 3.2 area at least. According UC Riverside my gpa is 3.49 and increasing.

QED

lol I haven't seen QED used in a long time. Were you HYP-(or other ivy) UG? ...just trying to figure out how expansive "QED" usage is nowadays.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

QED

lol I haven't seen QED used in a long time. Were you HYP-(or other ivy) UG? ...just trying to figure out how expansive "QED" usage is nowadays.
I learned QED in 8th grade geometry.

Wily

Postby Wily » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

QED

Quod erat demonstrandum. A good example of the use of the gerundive.

Illegitimum non carborundum, ipso facto!

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:lol I haven't seen QED used in a long time. Were you HYP-(or other ivy) UG? ...just trying to figure out how expansive "QED" usage is nowadays.

Damn your ivy league jr high school education! (or maybe I just had shit geometry teachers/didn't pay attention) Did we have to write QED after proofs? If so, I vaguely remember that.

ETA: I guess I haven't seen QED used in everyday conversation other than from HYP UG kids.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:23 pm

OP,

EVEN IF you were to get accepted somewhere and
EVEN IF you were able to make the schedule work and
EVEN IF the law school you chose to attend didn't care about your inability to supple the correct credentials (which is not something to be taken lightly - I hold a master’s degree from the SAME UNIVERSITY where I attend law school and still had to submit a copy of my undergrad transcript to the law school directly BEFORE classes began)

this could become a character and fitness issue when you apply for the bar. Think of it this way: If a student willfully conceals the fact that he (or she) lacks the essential credentials for enrolling in the JD degree program, what else are they concealing?

pixleprincess

Postby pixleprincess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Unless the applications u filled out asked:
Will you have your ba by xx/xx/2012 and you specifically lied then there is no character / fitness issue.
Every school should have a "bachelors by" date. In fact you can call the schools and ask. They won't even half to know it's you. At least half applicants are finishing up undergrad as we speak, any one of them maybe had to drop a gym course and take it in a summer session. Maybe a student with only 1 class to do in summer was going to take it on a summer session that ends in July- but suddenly, the college only offers it in the late summer session... These things happen. Lots of people start grad school after finishing undergrad in summer- I've never heard of there being an overlap, and most proletariat will plan on avoiding the situation entirely, but ... I'm sure someone has been in your shoes
Then, talk to your summer school teachers- ask them if they can post your grades ASAP after you finish your courses. Also ask ur school when do summer graduates have their degree dated. And see if u can make the degree date for your law schools. Let's say all law students must have a ba by august 2012. And ur college posts all summer grads as September BAs- if you can show all ur grades are in by august and give law school a copy of your degree req audit, maybe maybe they'll let you by.

Honestly it shouldn't be hard to coast through the last week of a couple summer courses. Make sure no exams are scheduled for time u néed to be in law class. Talk to your summer professors on day 1 about your situation- they may be very understanding and give u the final assignment early or even let u skip a class or two. Often profs are especially helpful to kids on their way out- if you ask politely, explain thoroughly and act smart, work hard to get on out.

I'm not commenting on whether or not you shouldn't or shouldn't start this way, or whether or not u should go at to law school at all... If I were you I'd want to work, strategize retake LSAT for a year.. But if you want to start in august, it's easy to find out if it's feasible by asking your schools. And I'm sure it's possible to finish up a week of undergrad with little effort (especially if u can take it pass/fail with no effect on gpa)

Calchexas

Postby Calchexas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:05 pm

This account may or may not be a troll, but for any undergrad seniors who are in the same situation, look at it this way:

OPTION A:

*Finish undergrad by the end of August
*"Start" law school in the middle of August...Right during finals
*Above average LSAT with a flimsy GPR
___
MOST LIKELY SCENARIO: if you're even allowed to go to law school despite "missing" the first week or two, you'll most likely end up with a bad class rank, at a low-ranked school, in a state with a bad economy, high cost of living, and very high cost of tuition.

Even if you had someone paying ALL costs, is that something that you really want?

Now, consider this for a second...

OPTION B:

*Finish undergrad by the end of August
*Start law school either in the fall of 2013, or hunt down a school with quarter systems or spring admission if you really hate the idea of waiting a year
*The hope to make up for that flimsy GPR with a stronger LSAT (you have nothing to lose, and even one point helps)
___
MOST LIKELY SCENARIO: you miss none of your first week, have nothing impeding your finals progress for undergrad, and stand an overall better chance of getting into a stronger school (or T.J. with more money).

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:lol I haven't seen QED used in a long time. Were you HYP-(or other ivy) UG? ...just trying to figure out how expansive "QED" usage is nowadays.

Damn your ivy league jr high school education! (or maybe I just had shit geometry teachers/didn't pay attention) Did we have to write QED after proofs? If so, I vaguely remember that.

ETA: I guess I haven't seen QED used in everyday conversation other than from HYP UG kids.

the callsign for my college radio station was WQED

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Didnt read half of the posts...but dear god do not go this year. Retake/Re-Apply. Whittier, Chapman and TJ are TERRIBLE options. Im at LLS and think I shouldve retaken. Just dont do it. There is no rush. Graduate, retake, get a job, have fun, then sell your soul thereafter. Dont go into debt for that ShiTTT

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:48 pm

This is either a troll or a deliriously optimistic 0L. I mean can anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes on TLS think that upward grade trends, honors distinction, good LORs, strong softs, or addendums explaining bad grades matter to schools? All that REALLY matters is GPA and LSAT. Anyone that tells you otherwise is fucking with you. Couple your downfalls in those areas with the fact that you're applying in in late April and that you will not even have graduated when LS starts, and it is a simple decision.

I still say, however, that this is a troll.

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:24 pm

pixleprincess wrote:Unless the applications u filled out asked:
Will you have your ba by xx/xx/2012 and you specifically lied then there is no character / fitness issue.
Every school should have a "bachelors by" date. In fact you can call the schools and ask. They won't even half to know it's you. At least half applicants are finishing up undergrad as we speak, any one of them maybe had to drop a gym course and take it in a summer session. Maybe a student with only 1 class to do in summer was going to take it on a summer session that ends in July- but suddenly, the college only offers it in the late summer session... These things happen. Lots of people start grad school after finishing undergrad in summer- I've never heard of there being an overlap, and most proletariat will plan on avoiding the situation entirely, but ... I'm sure someone has been in your shoes
Then, talk to your summer school teachers- ask them if they can post your grades ASAP after you finish your courses. Also ask ur school when do summer graduates have their degree dated. And see if u can make the degree date for your law schools. Let's say all law students must have a ba by august 2012. And ur college posts all summer grads as September BAs- if you can show all ur grades are in by august and give law school a copy of your degree req audit, maybe maybe they'll let you by.

Honestly it shouldn't be hard to coast through the last week of a couple summer courses. Make sure no exams are scheduled for time u néed to be in law class. Talk to your summer professors on day 1 about your situation- they may be very understanding and give u the final assignment early or even let u skip a class or two. Often profs are especially helpful to kids on their way out- if you ask politely, explain thoroughly and act smart, work hard to get on out.

I'm not commenting on whether or not you shouldn't or shouldn't start this way, or whether or not u should go at to law school at all... If I were you I'd want to work, strategize retake LSAT for a year.. But if you want to start in august, it's easy to find out if it's feasible by asking your schools. And I'm sure it's possible to finish up a week of undergrad with little effort (especially if u can take it pass/fail with no effect on gpa)

I have already spoken with the schools admissions. They have told me it could be worked around if I get admitted. Ten days should not be a problem. At the same time, I figured I could transfer some credits from a different institution, so there is a chance I will not even need to be enrolled in the 2nd summer session!

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Is Whittier even accredited? Isn't it one of those schools that you have to take the "baby bar" at just to show you are learning enough to take the actual bar post graduation?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”