aample at Phoenix

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thederangedwang

Re: aample at Phoenix

Postby thederangedwang » Fri May 04, 2012 1:42 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:It's not snobbish to care about getting a job out of law school. It's fine for you if you just want to go for fun but for most of your classmates this is a disastrous decision

why respond....why?

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Fri May 04, 2012 2:10 am

wtf is the aample program?

tguer1

Postby tguer1 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 am

No I'm not going for fun. I want to practice securities litigation. Oh by the way I was a branch manager and know every little game a retail broker plays. So I want to protect the brokers client from stuff like misrepresentation and other ways a client gets ripped off by the broker.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 am

tguer1 wrote:No I'm not going for fun. I want to practice securities litigation. Oh by the way I was a branch manager and know every little game a retail broker plays. So I want to protect the brokers client from stuff like misrepresentation and other ways a client gets ripped off by the broker.

Your likelihood of getting that job out of Phoenix is 0%. You've only got about a 20% chance of getting a legal job at all and if you're one of those lottery winners you're looking at a small firm or local DA/PD.

Is it too late to go back to your old job?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 am

tguer1 wrote:No I'm not going for fun. I want to practice securities litigation. Oh by the way I was a branch manager and know every little game a retail broker plays. So I want to protect the brokers client from stuff like misrepresentation and other ways a client gets ripped off by the broker.

Kamaya put you up to this, didn't (s)he?

Wily

Postby Wily » Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am

tguer1 wrote:Hey I got accepted into the AAMPLE program also for the Fall of 2012. I'm a 58 year old retired stockbroker who would like to go to law school. I'm blind in my right eye and have ADHD. I was just diagnosed with the ADHD this past summer. I knew something was up when I got all A's and B's in my major and C's, D's and F's in everything else. I left school at the end of my junior year and went back three years ago to finish. I had a 2.5 gap (played football and ran track and also partied a lot) but when I went back to school three years ago I had one A, three B+'s and two B's for a 3.2, not bad. All right lets get down to it, I went to Kaplan two years ago where I was scoring around 135 on my practice tests. I was only getting to 45 to 55 questions so in order to get a 135, I needed to get 50 to 60% of the questions right. I knew if I had more time I would get a better score. One of the teachers at Kaplan told me I should apply for accommodated testing so I did. I sent a 25 page report from my eye doctor. I was denied. We appealed and she wrote in her letter of appeal, "Suffering with traumatic hypermature cataract and complete retinal detachment in his right eye, Mr. XXXXXXX has only light perception acuity in his right eye. Ig is believed that this puts Mr. XXXXXXX at a substantial disadvantage to the other test takers with normal vision and the use of both eyes." and then she goes on to ask for more time. Denied. So I took the test and got to 51 questions and scored a 133. I'm sure you know how many school I got accepted to. When I went back to school I went to the disability resource center to see if they could hook me up with something else I could bring to LSAC. They hooked me up with a group of psychologist from the state university who were doing a study on adult reading. So I met with them and asked how soon can we do this. Within two weeks I was tested (I even got paid $135) and one of the things in the evaluation said that I had ADHD. I submitted this report to LSAC who said they wanted to take a psychoeducational evaluation. I did. The results the Doctor who administered the test explained a lot of things that I did when I was growing up. I had ADHD pretty bad and wrote a 37 page report with his suggestion of 30 extra minutes per session and, now heres something I wasn't asking for, 10 minute breaks between sessions. I submitted it and guess what, DENIED. They said that I never had any accommodations in elementary school, high school or college. This time I wrote the letter of appeal and stated that I was in elementary school 45 years ago, high school 40 years ago and college 35 years ago, then I went on to site the AMA by saying ADD wasn't discovered until 1980 and the name changed to ADHD so they never knew what was wrong with me. I had problems in elementary school where I couldn't sit for long periods of time and was always getting up in the middle of class and go look out the window. They wrote back and said they were standing by their ruling. I took the test this past December (in the middle of my therapists drug trials on me) they had me on one medication when I took the test that scrambled my brain. Now they got me on something else that seems to be working for me. So I truly appreciate the opportunity that is being offered to me by Phoenix School of Law and I'm coming from the northeast. For the money part of it, like I said a little earlier I'm 58 I'll die before I pay off my loan. So yeah, if you got accepted then go and take your chance. Maybe we will meet when we take our finals. Good luck and for those of you snobs who want to put PSL down, it's a law school thats going to teach the same stuff that your going to learn at another law school. :mrgreen:

So you got into AAMPLE with a 135? Wow.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am

Wily wrote:So you got into AAMPLE with a 135? Wow.

Nova's AAMPLE enrolled 2 with scores below 135 (see bottom-right of page 2):

http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... ac5514.pdf

Neither was successful.

tguer1

Postby tguer1 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

Steve, I read your blog every time send them out. Do you know anything about ADHD? It's a condition that if your not interested in something you just don't get it, even on meds but if you show some interest in something you excel at it. When I came out of college 35 years my gpa was only 2.5 (played football and ran track, belonged to a frat,TKE) in fact I had all A's and B's in my major and I got C's, D's, and F's for everything else, classic ADHD) I bounced around a little bit, but then I found Wall Street. Here I am a college drop out with only one year left to go. There are very few positions on the street that you need a degree, so I became a retail salesman (stock broker) and loved it I made ton's of money and also opened about 80 8 new accounts in my rookie year. In fact when I took my Series 7 and I did not take a prep class and I passed. The test is 6 hours long, you get 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. If you finish early on either session you can leave. It took me 2 hours in the morning session so I got a 2 hour lunch break. It only took me 90 minutes in the afternoon session, and like I said I went on to a successful career. I passed with no problem. Like I said earlier, I'm 58 years old and I don't care where I go to school. There are a few small securities litigation firms in New York who wold hire you and don't care where you went to school. C'mon I'll have law degree and a securities background and being 58 years old I don't need a lot of money. So your chart might be wrong on this one the one that said nobody has been accepted with a LSAT of 135 or lower. I also have a paralegal certificate where I got a 3.5 gap. In fact I got a 3.32 gpa for my final 6 classes toward my bachelors degree two years ago. Also all I needed were papers and projects to pass the classes. And imagine this I got a 3.32 for those 6 classes Again something I had an interest in. I've had an interest in law for about 20 years. As noted my grades from paralegal program I feel I could do well in the AAMPLE program. The way I look at it Phoenix Law is giving me the opportunity to attend law school and I will always be loyal to them. I know there not even ranked but they only had their ABA approval for 2 years, so it's a brand new school. I'm sure that some major law schools had to start somewhere. I already bought my books and started reading them and enjoying them and I'm retaining a lot of the stuff that I read. I know I can do it. Newgirl please contact me at aguer4@unh.newhaven.edu and don't be afraid of going the AAMPLE way. You know they're also looking at your motivation,
attendance, the questions that you ask in class, so do it.

Wily

Postby Wily » Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 am

tguer1 wrote:Steve, I read your blog every time send them out. Do you know anything about ADHD? It's a condition that if your not interested in something you just don't get it, even on meds but if you show some interest in something you excel at it. When I came out of college 35 years my gpa was only 2.5 (played football and ran track, belonged to a frat,TKE) in fact I had all A's and B's in my major and I got C's, D's, and F's for everything else, classic ADHD) I bounced around a little bit, but then I found Wall Street. Here I am a college drop out with only one year left to go. There are very few positions on the street that you need a degree, so I became a retail salesman (stock broker) and loved it I made ton's of money and also opened about 80 8 new accounts in my rookie year. In fact when I took my Series 7 and I did not take a prep class and I passed. The test is 6 hours long, you get 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. If you finish early on either session you can leave. It took me 2 hours in the morning session so I got a 2 hour lunch break. It only took me 90 minutes in the afternoon session, and like I said I went on to a successful career. I passed with no problem. Like I said earlier, I'm 58 years old and I don't care where I go to school. There are a few small securities litigation firms in New York who wold hire you and don't care where you went to school. C'mon I'll have law degree and a securities background and being 58 years old I don't need a lot of money. So your chart might be wrong on this one the one that said nobody has been accepted with a LSAT of 135 or lower. I also have a paralegal certificate where I got a 3.5 gap. In fact I got a 3.32 gpa for my final 6 classes toward my bachelors degree two years ago. Also all I needed were papers and projects to pass the classes. And imagine this I got a 3.32 for those 6 classes Again something I had an interest in. I've had an interest in law for about 20 years. As noted my grades from paralegal program I feel I could do well in the AAMPLE program. The way I look at it Phoenix Law is giving me the opportunity to attend law school and I will always be loyal to them. I know there not even ranked but they only had their ABA approval for 2 years, so it's a brand new school. I'm sure that some major law schools had to start somewhere. I already bought my books and started reading them and enjoying them and I'm retaining a lot of the stuff that I read. I know I can do it. Newgirl please contact me at aguer4@unh.newhaven.edu and don't be afraid of going the AAMPLE way. You know they're also looking at your motivation,

cool

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 am

Wily wrote:
tguer1 wrote:Steve, I read your blog every time send them out. Do you know anything about ADHD? It's a condition that if your not interested in something you just don't get it, even on meds but if you show some interest in something you excel at it. When I came out of college 35 years my gpa was only 2.5 (played football and ran track, belonged to a frat,TKE) in fact I had all A's and B's in my major and I got C's, D's, and F's for everything else, classic ADHD) I bounced around a little bit, but then I found Wall Street. Here I am a college drop out with only one year left to go. There are very few positions on the street that you need a degree, so I became a retail salesman (stock broker) and loved it I made ton's of money and also opened about 80 8 new accounts in my rookie year. In fact when I took my Series 7 and I did not take a prep class and I passed. The test is 6 hours long, you get 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. If you finish early on either session you can leave. It took me 2 hours in the morning session so I got a 2 hour lunch break. It only took me 90 minutes in the afternoon session, and like I said I went on to a successful career. I passed with no problem. Like I said earlier, I'm 58 years old and I don't care where I go to school. There are a few small securities litigation firms in New York who wold hire you and don't care where you went to school. C'mon I'll have law degree and a securities background and being 58 years old I don't need a lot of money. So your chart might be wrong on this one the one that said nobody has been accepted with a LSAT of 135 or lower. I also have a paralegal certificate where I got a 3.5 gap. In fact I got a 3.32 gpa for my final 6 classes toward my bachelors degree two years ago. Also all I needed were papers and projects to pass the classes. And imagine this I got a 3.32 for those 6 classes Again something I had an interest in. I've had an interest in law for about 20 years. As noted my grades from paralegal program I feel I could do well in the AAMPLE program. The way I look at it Phoenix Law is giving me the opportunity to attend law school and I will always be loyal to them. I know there not even ranked but they only had their ABA approval for 2 years, so it's a brand new school. I'm sure that some major law schools had to start somewhere. I already bought my books and started reading them and enjoying them and I'm retaining a lot of the stuff that I read. I know I can do it. Newgirl please contact me at aguer4@unh.newhaven.edu and don't be afraid of going the AAMPLE way. You know they're also looking at your motivation,

cool

story

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:48 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
Wily wrote:

cool

story

BRO!

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sun May 06, 2012 12:06 pm

I don't want to be on this planet anymore.

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am

Seriously, though, I'm just curious why you want to go to law school at your age and current career situation. With a securities background and having worked as a stockbroker, I assume you can make a lot more income going back to work as a stockbroker or securities adviser than you will coming out of law school in 3 years. You are aware that from schools like Phoenix, even if you are lucky enough to find a JD-required job (which 50% of grads are not), your most likely salary will be in $40k to $60k range? And you'll have paid $120k-$180k, either from your savings or loans, for the privilege of making such a salary?

It just seems to be an absolutely terrible economic decision, even if you practice for 10-15 years out of law school before you retire (i.e. until you're 75). Although I'm much younger than you and don't know your exact situation, it seems like law school will be a lot of stress and financial hardship for almost no returns. I would seriously reconsider.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon May 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for reading. I'm familiar with ADHD.

I agree with Wily's comments above.

I caution you to research these small securities firms and see what kinds of law schools their attorneys attended. Getting hired by them (or by anyone, really) after attending Phoenix Law may be more of an uphill battle than you anticipate, especially with all the out-of-work lawyers and recent grads who went to more prestigious law schools. Even if your experience as a broker gives you insight into securities, they may be more likely to care about the name of the school on your resume. They may assume that those who went to better schools will be able to pick up what they need to know on the job.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 pm

nkp007 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:
Wily wrote:

cool

story

BRO!

I feel special now

bankruptedcasino

Postby bankruptedcasino » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

tguer1 wrote: C'mon I'll have law degree and a securities background and being 58 years old I don't need a lot of money.

Wrong.

You will not get a scholarship if you're admitted through AAMPLE, and you will graduate with $200,000 in debt. At your age, you will need to do a 10-year repayment unless you want to sack your heirs with the remaining balance what you paid to go to law school. That's a $2,300/month. So forget about retirement. You will literally be working until you're dead.

And for someone who claims to know about all the "dirty tricks" employed by stockbrokers to hose little old ladies out of their retirement savings, you sure are cavalier about the idea of shilling out $60,000+/year to a for-profit educational institution. In case you're not aware of how unscrupulous they can be, I can send you a link to a wonderful FRONTLINE documentary on that very topic.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue May 08, 2012 1:00 am

IAFG wrote:If this comes up when you google "aample" then the spammer has done her job.

I've seen various TLS threads appear on the first page of google results if you type in the right (fairly specific) keyword - I've even seen that only a week or so after a thread was created.

Beyond the people who post here, there are thousands of people who view the site - or parts of the site - without creating accounts of posting anything.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am

Wow, if TGUER1 is real he is the prime example of why we should shut down TTTT's like Phoenix.

They are going to saddle him with 150k of debt and no job prospects. They aren't even trying to fain having standards. Letting in a 135 is ridiculous.

I am not sure he is real though.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 am

shoeshine wrote:Wow, if TGUER1 is real he is the prime example of why we should shut down TTTT's like Phoenix.

They are going to saddle him with 150k of debt and no job prospects. They aren't even trying to fain having standards. Letting in a 135 is ridiculous.

TGUER1 may or may not be real

but the fact that someone with a 135 was admited to this aample program is very real

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 am

But what other law school will I go to? You people are saying I shouldn't go at all but on TV and in the media I see people wearing suits saying that everyone should have a chance to go to college. I met with a Phoenix Law advisor and was told that I can pay for my education by taking out a federal loan and that investing in my education now will lead to a high-paying job. My academic advisor told me that I will get to play golf at a private country club when I'm older if just sign a couple of papers and take out a 200k loan.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Tue May 08, 2012 4:45 am

I can't decide which is my favorite poster, Kamaya or Wiglaf1228!

Actually, definitely Kamaya because Wiglaf1228 occasionally says some things that are worthwhile

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 am

presidentk1 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Wow, if TGUER1 is real he is the prime example of why we should shut down TTTT's like Phoenix.

but the fact that someone with a 135 was admited to this aample program is very real

how many questions do you have to miss to get a 135? I mean...are we talking a level where actually just filling in 'C' would net you the same result?

EDIT: just looked up a table, a 30 raw score= 135...so slightly better than a person randomly guessing. Yep, these people DEFINITELY deserve to be in lawschool :roll:

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am

presidentk1 wrote:

He's emailed me in the past, joined my blog's Facebook group, left comments, etc. Pretty sure he's real.

tguer1

Postby tguer1 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Listen morons when it comes to the money, sense I retired at the age of 50 , maybe I have enough money to handle myself. In fact I haven't worked in the few years and I still drive a Porsche (and love it). I probably can buy most of you an sell you for a huge lost and not get hurt. Like I said if I have to borrow money I'll probably die before I pay that loan off. I could put this on one of my credit cards, I have five unlimited gold cards. Noteda why don't you learn a little about life before you make a comment like you did. Willy the whole industry has changed. There is no more stockbroker on the street, they're all financial planners now. No more trading stocks. And for bonds people are buying their municipals on the internet (no mark up for the broker). My business was built on municipal bonds. In fact I moved from the retail side for a while to a muni trading desk then to a junk desk and also a high quality corporate desk. So I worked both on the inside and the outside of the business. Oh also Willy, when I first got into the business in the mid 80's first year stockbrokers were making more than double the pay that a first year associate out of a top law school made. If you made it through your first year you out grossed those same lawyers by maybe 3 to 1 later on in your careers. Lets face it how many lawyers make $30 million a year now how many Wall Streeters make $30 million a year. A lot more WS than J.D.. Always remember one thing, Wall Street, not Washington runs this country. And imagine you don't even need a degree to work on trading and sales because I didn't have mine. I have closet full of suits that any attorney would envy. Steve, I know all about Phoenix, in fact they're not even a tier 4 school they are unranked. It's a brand new school. Everybody has to start somewhere. Sense going back to school three years ago and finishing up my bachelor I just love to learn. And for those of you making fun of my 135, I have two physical disabilities that caused that. So if this is my ticket into law school I want to do it. Oh yeah for the person who said that even the small securities litigation firms in New York still like to hire out of top schools I know plenty of lawyers in that practice who wet to small shitty schools and do quite well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm

tguer1 wrote:Listen morons when it comes to the money, sense I retired at the age of 50 , maybe I have enough money to handle myself. In fact I haven't worked in the few years and I still drive a Porsche (and love it). I probably can buy most of you an sell you for a huge lost and not get hurt. Like I said if I have to borrow money I'll probably die before I pay that loan off. I could put this on one of my credit cards, I have five unlimited gold cards. Noteda why don't you learn a little about life before you make a comment like you did. Willy the whole industry has changed. There is no more stockbroker on the street, they're all financial planners now. No more trading stocks. And for bonds people are buying their municipals on the internet (no mark up for the broker). My business was built on municipal bonds. In fact I moved from the retail side for a while to a muni trading desk then to a junk desk and also a high quality corporate desk. So I worked both on the inside and the outside of the business. Oh also Willy, when I first got into the business in the mid 80's first year stockbrokers were making more than double the pay that a first year associate out of a top law school made. If you made it through your first year you out grossed those same lawyers by maybe 3 to 1 later on in your careers. Lets face it how many lawyers make $30 million a year now how many Wall Streeters make $30 million a year. A lot more WS than J.D.. Always remember one thing, Wall Street, not Washington runs this country. And imagine you don't even need a degree to work on trading and sales because I didn't have mine. I have closet full of suits that any attorney would envy. Steve, I know all about Phoenix, in fact they're not even a tier 4 school they are unranked. It's a brand new school. Everybody has to start somewhere. Sense going back to school three years ago and finishing up my bachelor I just love to learn. And for those of you making fun of my 135, I have two physical disabilities that caused that. So if this is my ticket into law school I want to do it. Oh yeah for the person who said that even the small securities litigation firms in New York still like to hire out of top schools I know plenty of lawyers in that practice who wet to small shitty schools and do quite well.
rambling, incoherent braggadocio; didn't read

AAMPLE is a terrible program designed to rip off more money from the most gullible and desperate applicants. You're better off getting a certificate in TV/VCR repair from Suzanne Sommers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”