aample at Phoenix

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mal Reynolds

Re: aample at Phoenix

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 am

IAFG wrote:
Br3v wrote:
boredatwork wrote:Think this is a ploy by the phoenix "law school" to try to drum up some numbers now that the "writing is on the wall." (admissions are down) They have a really nice building, I bet it takes a lot of suckers to pay the rent.

I dont think TLS is that important sadly

If this comes up when you google "aample" then the spammer has done her job.

It's the second entry. Damn it, I probably helped.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Br3v wrote:
boredatwork wrote:Think this is a ploy by the phoenix "law school" to try to drum up some numbers now that the "writing is on the wall." (admissions are down) They have a really nice building, I bet it takes a lot of suckers to pay the rent.

I dont think TLS is that important sadly

If this comes up when you google "aample" then the spammer has done her job.

It's the second entry. Damn it, I probably helped.

Yeah but I think just because it's a recent thread, regardless maybe someone will read the truth in this thread compared to this posters obvious attempt to distort reality

kamaya

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 am

Br3v wrote:
kamaya wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What is your plan for paying off $200k in loans?

Personally, I would make sure not to strap myself with $200k in loans. There is way too much grant money available for anyone to not take advantage of finding alternative means to pay for their law school education.

Everyone stay calm, we can screw this up by being TLS-ish, or actually help someone not make a huge mistake that will effect their entire life.

Kamaya, you can't just "chose" to not take debt. Grants are not as plentiful as you may have experienced in college. Just do some brief research on the legal market and hiring. Even top schools are having tough times placing graduates.

I agree with you. I know you can't just choose not to be in debt. Debt comes with the territory if one wants to go to law school. My point is that should not deter one from going to law school if that's what they choose to do. I'm well aware that even top school are having tough times placing graduates. Im not trying to distort reality. The reality is that law school is time consuming, it costs an arm and a leg, law jobs are scarce, and the majority of people on TLS forum are disgruntled. What's new? Does that mean don't go to law school? No.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 am

I made up my mind to have a dude bash me in a head with a 2x4 studded with rusty nails. I REALLY want to do it and I will not be deterred.

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 am

rad lulz wrote:I made up my mind to have a dude bash me in a head with a 2x4 studded with rusty nails. I REALLY want to do it and I will not be deterred.

Is that Dischargeable in bankruptcy court?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 am

boredatwork wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I made up my mind to have a dude bash me in a head with a 2x4 studded with rusty nails. I REALLY want to do it and I will not be deterred.

Functionally, neither are govt. loans. It's nearly impossible to meet the hardship requirement.

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 am

rad lulz wrote:
boredatwork wrote:

Functionally, neither are govt. loans. It's nearly impossible to meet the hardship requirement.

You could accidentally cut off both your hands with a band saw, I bet that would meet it.

kamaya

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 am

Your statement is actually comical. However, bashing rusty nails in your head may actually kill you; law school debt will not.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:08 am

kamaya wrote:

Your statement is actually comical. However, bashing rusty nails in your head may actually kill you; law school debt will not.

I bet people with 200k in debt and a piece of toilet paper that they call a degree from Phoenix have higher suicide rates than your average american. So it COULD kill you. If not, it will still ruin your life.

kamaya

Postby kamaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:21 am

The Rover wrote:
kamaya wrote:

I bet people with 200k in debt and a piece of toilet paper that they call a degree from Phoenix have higher suicide rates than your average american. So it COULD kill you. If not, it will still ruin your life.

A law license gives one access to practice law. That's what matters. If someone is. There are some people who are not concerned about how much money it cost to get one. Think outside the box and stop stressing.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 am

kamaya wrote:
The Rover wrote:
kamaya wrote:

A law license gives one access to practice law. That's what matters. If someone is. There are some people who are not concerned about how much money it cost to get one. Think outside the box and stop stressing.

This read like a series of poorly translated fortune cookies.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Then you should work very hard at getting another job in order to stay out of enormous debt. There will be zero jobs coming out of these schools.

That is categorically not true.

I went on the tour at Phoenix law school and the girl giving the tour got a job. She will be the assistant clothing manager in the women's department at one of the mall stores. I think Macy's.

She said though she isn't worried about getting a law job because everyone told her that she could work for free for them.

I fail to see the logic in her answer. But then again, she is from Phoenix Law.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 am

kamaya wrote:I agree with you. I know you can't just choose not to be in debt. Debt comes with the territory if one wants to go to law school. My point is that should not deter one from going to law school if that's what they choose to do. I'm well aware that even top school are having tough times placing graduates. Im not trying to distort reality. The reality is that law school is time consuming, it costs an arm and a leg, law jobs are scarce, and the majority of people on TLS forum are disgruntled. What's new? Does that mean don't go to law school? No.

How much does Phoenix pay you to post this shit? And how do you find that sort of gig?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 am

kamaya wrote:I believe the end justifies the means.

Me too.

But you don't have the right end.

The end is to be a practicing lawyers, not to have a JD. Law school is the means, even passing the bar is the means. Actual employment is the ends.

So, to get a job as a practicing lawyer, shouldn't the means adapt? Shouldn't someone take the LSAT again and try to get into a better school? Isn't that what someone who thinks the ends justifies the means would say?

I know he trollin', but others coming across the thread might not.

Wily

Postby Wily » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:53 am

flem wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This read like a series of poorly translated fortune cookies.

I lol'd

Bros, I have a 4.0 and scored a 142 on the LSAT. Should I attend:

Charleston School of Law (sticker)
Charlotte School of Law ($$, top 1% stip)
University of Phoenix School of Law (sticker, if I get in through the aample program)

I plan on working really hard and I will make top 10%. I also will network a lot. I just need to pass the bar, no one cares where my degree is from.

Will not retake.

Sadly, my co-worker who's applying this year is not far off from this. She has a 144 after exhausting retakes. She thinks that she will work nearly full-time during law school so she won't have to take out loans, and says she'll run for DA right afterward and win.

I've tried to point her to all the articles about the dismal state of law hiring, and the poor prospects coming from TTT's, but she says that everyone in them must be "losers" who don't know how to get "connections." According to her, all you need is some "hustle" to get the right job. Also, she points to the fact that she went to a CC originally, and I went to an Ivy, and we work in the same office, to prove the point that law school rankings aren't important.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:03 pm

newgirl, you need to study and retake, regardless. If you study hard for 3 months, and don't improve (you will), then study again. If on the 3rd test you still haven't improved, then decide whether or not you should do aample (you shouldn't). Don't go into aample because you got 1 or 2 low lsat scores. Everyone retakes, nbd. I know what it's like, not wanting to sit out a year. Last year, my 155 got me into a TTTT with some money. I wanted to go so bad that year that I even applied to Kent part-time. Why the fuck would I want to go to Chicago-Kent pt?! In hindsight, I was very deluded with the whole admissions process, and law school in general. But you know what, I sat down and studied, retook twice, and now I'm going to Illinois with a good scholarship. Seriously, we all know studying sucks, but we ALL did it. Don't be a pussy, nut up and hit the books. Go to lsat prep forum on this site, there are MANY good study plans. Please, please, study and retake. Seriously, you could go to Northwestern or Wustl, and many other places with a good lsat and a dog-shit GPA. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way. I know it sucks, and it might not be fair, but it's the world we live in, adapt or fail.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 pm

The Rover wrote:Don't do it. Please don't do it.

cause one of us goes in
And we all go through it
Drizzy got the money, so Drizzy gonna pay it
Those my brothers, I ain't even gotta say it
That's just something they know

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 pm

flem wrote:
Wily wrote:
Sadly, my co-worker who's applying this year is not far off from this. She has a 144 after exhausting retakes. She thinks that she will work nearly full-time during law school so she won't have to take out loans, and says she'll run for DA right afterward and win.

I've tried to point her to all the articles about the dismal state of law hiring, and the poor prospects coming from TTT's, but she says that everyone in them must be "losers" who don't know how to get "connections." According to her, all you need is some "hustle" to get the right job. Also, she points to the fact that she went to a CC originally, and I went to an Ivy, and we work in the same office, to prove the point that law school rankings aren't important.

This bullshit is the kind of stuff that was drilled into us by our parents' generation. WORK HARD AND DO WELL AND HUSTLE AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

Grandparents, too. They are great people, and know many things, but they are sooo annoyingly fiscally conservative. This can be a good thing, but when there advice sounds something like "take the TTTT for free over Illinois for 90k, it seems penny-wise, but pound foolish in regards to lawschool

Wily

Postby Wily » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm

flem wrote:
Wily wrote:

This bullshit is the kind of stuff that was drilled into us by our parents' generation. WORK HARD AND DO WELL AND HUSTLE AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

The sad part is that she comes from a blue-collar family, and thinks that being the first lawyer in her family will make her a leader among her friends and community or something. When I suggested that she read some books on how to do well in 1L, she said she's instead looking for the Nassau and Suffolk County CPLR because "all her friends already ask her for legal advice". I've already given up in her case, because I guess someone has to go fill the seats at NYLS or Touro...

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm

flem wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This read like a series of poorly translated fortune cookies.

I lol'd

Bros, I have a 4.0 and scored a 142 on the LSAT. Should I attend:

Charleston School of Law (sticker)
Charlotte School of Law ($$, top 1% stip)
University of Phoenix School of Law (sticker, if I get in through the aample program)

I plan on working really hard and I will make top 10%. I also will network a lot. I just need to pass the bar, no one cares where my degree is from.

Will not retake.

You forgot "Please don't comment if you're going to say anything negative."

kamaya

Postby kamaya » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Me too.

The end is to be a practicing lawyers, not to have a JD. Law school is the means, even passing the bar is the means. Actual employment is the ends.

So, to get a job as a practicing lawyer, shouldn't the means adapt? Shouldn't someone take the LSAT again and try to get into a better school? Isn't that what someone who thinks the ends justifies the means would say?

Who are you to tell someone who is going to law school what their end is? There are some people who have taken the lsat 3 times and have a decent score are are sticking with it and not deciding to wait 2 years to take it again. As I've said in previous posts, what's important is to pass the bar to be able to practice law. There are some people who have a job waiting for them. And for those who don't, they will have to do what ever it takes to find one. And shame on those people who decide to go to law school without doing their research first. No one should go in such an undertaking with their eyes closed.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:53 pm

kamaya wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Me too.

Who are you to tell someone who is going to law school what their end is? There are some people who have taken the lsat 3 times and have a decent score are are sticking with it and not deciding to wait 2 years to take it again. As I've said in previous posts, what's important is to pass the bar to be able to practice law. There are some people who have a job waiting for them. And for those who don't, they will have to do what ever it takes to find one. And shame on those people who decide to go to law school without doing their research first. No one should go in such an undertaking with their eyes closed.

You seem to be taking these posts really personally, nobody is trying to shit on your dream of going to law school but it's not realistic to just say you'll do "whatever it takes" to get a job. Do you think all the unemployed JDs who never got a legal job and never will just weren't willing to do whatever it takes?

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am

3L, CNN, top-third of class, struggled to find ANY sort of public interest work. The notion that paying an absurd amount of money to go to a law school with horrendous employment numbers is somehow made okay by LRAP or IBR programs is offensive. PI work is not a fallback plan for attending a law school that leads to legal employment for a small fraction of the class.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 am

AAMPLE is a $500 lottery ticket. 1 in 2 80% will win.

If you win, you have the privilege of purchasing a $200,000 lottery ticket. At Phoenix, fewer than 1 in 20 will win. Losers will be stuck with over $200,000 in non-dischargeable student loan debt.

How does this sound like a good idea? And how does it sound like a better idea than retaking, which costs less than $150?

NOTE: edited to reflect updated costs and acceptance rates
Last edited by mi-chan17 on Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 am

kamaya wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Me too.

2 mistakes in the same sentence.

First, "being able to practice law"...well thats the problem..when you come out of a shitty school like that you are going to be hard pressed to find legal employment

secondly...it may be important to pass the bar..its more important to be able to finacially support yourself

also, one more thing that caught my eye

"And for those who don't, they will have to do what ever it takes to find one"

wow, just wow, this is equal to Ron Paul's cop out on how uninsured people should rely on charities in case something comes up

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”