aample at Phoenix Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wily

Bronze

Re: aample at Phoenix

Post by Wily » Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 am

tguer1 wrote:Look the way I look at it every school started somewhere. I'm sure that Duke didn't start in the top 20 law schools. Lud, I'm not ignoring you since you seem to be the oldest here you should understand. I'm not doing this for shit and grins. I have two disabilities and that is why I scored a 133. Who ever said that a raw score is 30, you can pick all c's, that's not bad figuring I only got to 51 questions. So lets figure this out, 30/51=58% which would give me around a 150 to a 155 if I had accommodated testing. And the reason I have five gold cards is because of my credit, I very rarely use credit cards. You can say what you want about Phoenix but I'm going to dedicate myself to the school. I owe it to them because they're the only one who is giving me a shot. I don't care of it is in AAMPLE. Don't worry come and see me in three years. I live in a small town in the North East where plenty of attorneys went to Western New England, Roger Williams, Hofstra, Vermont, Quinnipiac and Widner. As you can see not top law schools and they are all working and some of them even told me that I would have a job when I graduate from wherever. So please just leave the fuck me alone. Let me make my own mistakes. And Willy I'd love to go back into the industry but I retired over 10 years ago and like I said it's a completely different business now, can't compete with the discounters who give you $8.95 trade where I'm going to charge you maybe between $200 and $300. The retail business is dead. Now you have to be an insurance salesman with an investment background. In 20 years I never did an annuity. I did plenty of mutual funds and unit investment trusts but the meat of my business was municipal bonds. I don't have it in mean to sit down with a client to try to figure out their financial future. Lets trade, buy bonds for income and mutual funds for your future.
I got no problems with you going to Phoenix Law, since you can afford it. I was just curious why you weren't going back to trading, and now you've answered that.

You should be forewarned, though, that only about 50% pass AAMPLE and get into the law school, so keep that in mind when you do the program. Good luck.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 am

Wily wrote:I was just curious why you weren't going back to trading, and now you've answered that.
Yes, he answered that rather clearly via his writing and threats- mental illness.

Also, tg you are a sales monkey whose job has been destroyed by basic technology. Stop pretending like you were at the proprietary trading desk for goldman sachs.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 am

Thank you,
Ludo, Band a long, and wily.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed May 09, 2012 10:36 am

Ludovico Technique wrote: 3. I don't care if you go to Phoenix, and I don't care if you think you are going to get a job from there. I would be happy to "leave you the fuck alone" and let you make your own mistake. But when you tell other people not to listen to us, and encourage them to make horrible decisions, I have a problem with that.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 09, 2012 10:42 am

I bet the dude doesn't even drive a Porsche.

Now in this thread's sixth page, I don't know how anyone can take these justifications seriously. Aample is like the play-in game in March Madness, deciding who gets to be the sacrificial lamb. It is probably better to lose the couple thousand and flame out of the aample program than to actually make it thru it with high debt and soul-crushing job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tguer1

New

Post by tguer1 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:01 pm

James I didn't work at Goldman but I worked at some decent firms. I also worked at a small hedge fund managing the fixed income portion of the portfolio. I'm blind and have ADHD, I'm not stupid. I really don't care if you believe me or not but I do own a Porsche. I'm not trying to lead any young people down the wrong road, what I'm saying is to make up your own mine, don't be distracted by a bunch of know it alls who scored 170 or above. I believe you got to do your research. I remember in 95 or 96 when everybody was saying to sell Apple it was a dog. If you really did your research you could see that the company had value, and look at it now $570. You know there are some of us no matter how many times we retake the LSAT we won't score well. Look at me I'm blind in one eye and have ADHD. I'm interested in Wall Street but not logic. When I took my Series 7 (Stockbrokers license) I didn't take a prep class all I did was read the books and took practice tests and passed with no problem. I took two LSAT classes (first Kaplan and second Test Masters) and I did worst on my second LSAT than the 133. My therapist feels it's my ADHD that I can't comprehend the LSAT material. I'm looking out for younger people who really want to go to law school and just can't make it through the LSAT. If Phoenix is the only school they can get into then go for it. I know you won't get a job in a white shoe law firm but there is a very good chance you can go back to your hometown and work with a smaller firm. That's what a lot of my friends who went to Quinnipiac, Western New England, Roger Williams and Pace and are doing quite well. I would love to go to a big school but because of my disabilities I can't. I'm just thinking maybe some of these young people might be in the same boat. I'm not trying to fight with you on what you're trying to do but there are people out there who don't care about the debt that they are taking on they want to go to law school. So please let them make up their own mine. I'm sure they know how much debt they will be taking on. Let soome of us other peoople be happy like you are about going to an Ivy league law school.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm

My old man is a lawyer in a fairly small town. He said he is shocked at how many young lawyers there are in town that went to a TTTT with over 100k in debt making LESS THAN 40k a year.
This is someone's future if they actually make it through aample, since statistically only half make it through.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 09, 2012 3:09 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Also, how do you drive a Porsche if you're blind? Is Chris O'Donnell sitting terrified in the passenger seat the entire time?
Whoo ahhh. Seriously lol'd at this

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 09, 2012 3:09 pm

This thread is so stupid at this point I can't even pretend it's legitimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tguer1

New

Post by tguer1 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm blind in one eye. It makes me a slower reader than most.

tguer1

New

Post by tguer1 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:47 pm

And Mr Pancake he's not your old man, he's your father hav e some respect you little punk.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

tguer1 wrote:And Mr Pancake he's not your old man, he's your father hav e some respect you little punk.
It's a term of endearment in my family.

You obviously pick and choose what to read from other people's posts because you haven't adequately addressed anything that people have said in response to the nonsense that you spew.

TyrionLannister

Bronze

Post by TyrionLannister » Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm

tguer1 wrote:And Mr Pancake he's not your old man, he's your father hav e some respect you little punk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Tguer still has to understand, if he is as successful as he claims, there are so many better things he can do with his money. Why not invest the tuition and read some books about law. Go on vacation, you're an old. Who would want to put themselves through three years of mundane crap. Every year you have left is more meaningful. Go learn pottery or take sailing lessons.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm

tguer1 wrote:James I didn't work at Goldman but I worked at some decent firms. I also worked at a small hedge fund managing the fixed income portion of the portfolio. I'm blind and have ADHD, I'm not stupid. I really don't care if you believe me or not but I do own a Porsche. I'm not trying to lead any young people down the wrong road, what I'm saying is to make up your own mine, don't be distracted by a bunch of know it alls who scored 170 or above. I believe you got to do your research. I remember in 95 or 96 when everybody was saying to sell Apple it was a dog. If you really did your research you could see that the company had value, and look at it now $570. You know there are some of us no matter how many times we retake the LSAT we won't score well. Look at me I'm blind in one eye and have ADHD. I'm interested in Wall Street but not logic. When I took my Series 7 (Stockbrokers license) I didn't take a prep class all I did was read the books and took practice tests and passed with no problem. I took two LSAT classes (first Kaplan and second Test Masters) and I did worst on my second LSAT than the 133. My therapist feels it's my ADHD that I can't comprehend the LSAT material. I'm looking out for younger people who really want to go to law school and just can't make it through the LSAT. If Phoenix is the only school they can get into then go for it. I know you won't get a job in a white shoe law firm but there is a very good chance you can go back to your hometown and work with a smaller firm. That's what a lot of my friends who went to Quinnipiac, Western New England, Roger Williams and Pace and are doing quite well. I would love to go to a big school but because of my disabilities I can't. I'm just thinking maybe some of these young people might be in the same boat. I'm not trying to fight with you on what you're trying to do but there are people out there who don't care about the debt that they are taking on they want to go to law school. So please let them make up their own mine. I'm sure they know how much debt they will be taking on. Let soome of us other peoople be happy like you are about going to an Ivy league law school.
Tguer, I usually don't venture into these waters, but I have to put in my two cents. As an older applicant (granted I'm in my mid-thirties, not late fifites), being someone who has struggled with ADHD, and who is going to be a 1L in the Fall, law school seems to be a terrible decision for you. You're about to chunk $160k + down the toilet (assuming you stay for all 3 years) to attend a TTTT school based on your desire to practice securities litigation. You have indicated that you had issues comprehending the LSAT material, which I'll admit can be quite dense. However, what makes you think you're going to be able to comprehend the dense and voluminous information you are required to not only know but also apply to situation? Also, I'm sure most of your attorney friends graduated quite a few years ago from law school, when the degree actually carried some weight.

That said, if this is your dream, then it's your money and your future.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

me thinks you make a poor father

Brassica7

Bronze

Post by Brassica7 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

tguer1 wrote:If Phoenix is the only school they can get into then go for it. I know you won't get a job in a white shoe law firm but there is a very good chance you can go back to your hometown and work with a smaller firm.
Tguer1, this is factually incorrect. People on this website are not snobs sneering at Phoenix and other TTTTs to make themselves feel superior. If TTTT grads could reliably get small town legal jobs, attending them wouldn't be so bad. The posters on TLS are not mocking small firms; they are pointing out that most grads from Phoenix will never be able to work at a big firm or a small firm or for a judge or in legal services or as an attorney for federal/state/county/city government.

The problem is that the US produces about 45,000 law graduates a year for about 25,000 legal job openings (http://www.jdsupra.com/post/documentVie ... 2ce18508c8). This means that almost half of law graduates never get to work as an attorney, at all. Sure, a few people will might be able to make it as a solo right out of law school, but this is very difficult to do because it is extremely hard to get clients as a new attorney. Also, law school graduates are not well prepared to practice law. This is a mentored profession. If you don't get to work under someone, you likely never will work as an attorney.

The above statistic should not be taken to mean that a little over half of Phoenix grads will get work as attorneys. The prospects are far bleaker. This is because the legal jobs available are not evenly distributed across all law schools. For example, almost everyone at Harvard/Columbia etc. can get a legal job. This means that there are very few people at the TTTTs who can get legal jobs.

I am not a law school elitist. I did not get a 170, and I go to a second tier school (ranked in the 60s). I get in-state tuition, but I am still taking a huge risk. I have done fairly well and am hopeful things will work out for me, but I think about a third of my classmates are in big trouble. This is for a school that costs half as much as Phoenix and has much better (although certainly not great) job placement.

If you have a lot of connections, you may be able to get a job out of Phoenix. However, most 22-year-olds fresh out of college do not have your financial background and connections. If you have a lot of money saved for retirement and just want to get a JD, fine, go for it. For most people who want to use AAMPLE to launch a legal career, this is a hugely risky move that will likely leave them with over $200,000 of debt and no legal job (--LinkRemoved--).
Last edited by Brassica7 on Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm

tguer1 wrote:I'm looking out for younger people who really want to go to law school and just can't make it through the LSAT. If Phoenix is the only school they can get into then go for it. . . I'm not trying to fight with you on what you're trying to do but there are people out there who don't care about the debt that they are taking on they want to go to law school. So please let them make up their own mind. I'm sure they know how much debt they will be taking on. . .
The advice here is take it or leave it. But we're not going to sit around and let someone recommend that they take on absurd debt just to go to law school. We're only providing the objectively accurate advice. If someone "really want to go to law school and just can't make it through the LSAT" they need to find another way to get their legal fix without drowning in debt. If they want to lose their money, so be it, but nobody is going to let people say it's a good idea.

titopeunte

New

Post by titopeunte » Wed May 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Tguer, even if you get through the AAMPLE program and get admitted, even if you pull the grades and graduate, you will still have to pass the bar in order to practice. Your 135 makes it highly unlikely that you will do so. I understand you have disabilities that likely impacted your score, but if the bar examiners in your state won't allow you special accommodations, your LSAT score suggests you will find it almost impossible to pass the bar. At that point, you really will have flushed a ton of time and money down the toilet.

judgeholden

New

Post by judgeholden » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I find it offensive that a stock broker manager of a retail branch is acting like he was on, or connected to, Wall Street.
You weren't an investment banker, you weren't even a trader. Stop acting like you're from Wall Street. You were in retail.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm

My favorite part has been the threats of violence and shameless boasting of wealth (real or imaginary).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 pm

stillwater wrote:My favorite part has been the threats of violence and shameless boasting of wealth (real or imaginary).
I'm rich bitch!! :lol:

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Tguer, you are on some kind of massive mind trip. Your LSAT score does NOT substantiate the claim that you would do better with more time. In fact, odds are that you spent your pathetic testing attempt missing most of the easier questions.

I believe I'm acquainted with this exquisite waste of breathable oxygen, and I can truthfully say that his online pronunciations are a pale shadow of stupidity when compared to the shit he says in person.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 09, 2012 6:28 pm

arkansawyer wrote:Tguer, you are on some kind of massive mind trip. Your LSAT score does NOT substantiate the claim that you would do better with more time. In fact, odds are that you spent your pathetic testing attempt missing most of the easier questions.

I believe I'm acquainted with this exquisite waste of breathable oxygen, and I can truthfully say that his online pronunciations are a pale shadow of stupidity when compared to the shit he says in person.
Whaaaaa. You KNOW this guy?? That deserves its own thread

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
arkansawyer wrote:Tguer, you are on some kind of massive mind trip. Your LSAT score does NOT substantiate the claim that you would do better with more time. In fact, odds are that you spent your pathetic testing attempt missing most of the easier questions.

Whaaaaa. You KNOW this guy?? That deserves its own thread
+1 does he really own a Porsche?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”