For those who sat out to retake LSAT...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goblue91750

For those who sat out to retake LSAT...

Postby goblue91750 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey TLS so this is my first post so I am really sorry if this is a bad place to post this but I'm looking for some "year off" advice. I wasn't really happy with my admissions this cycle and would like to apply again next year.

LSAC GPA- 3.75, Political Science major from a top-40 university.

LSAT- 157

Long story short even though I have wanted to go to law school for a long time I did not really know anything about it until after I applied. I do not want to let me GPA go to waste since it is pretty solid. To be honest I did not take the LSAT as seriously as I should have (I never took an actual PT). I want to retake and shoot for getting some cash from some of the better California schools. I want to work/live in the San Diego/OC area (not Los Angeles). I know USD places well in San Diego but I would really like to shoot for Berkeley.

My main question to the TLS community is for people who took a year off with Majors such as mine (poli sci, history, etc.). What kind of jobs did you guys get with those degrees? I planned on pursuing some form of higher education going into college and never really thought I would be searching for a job with just a BA.

PS- how high an LSAT would I need for Stanford? I know I am under the median for GPA so I am guessing I would need a 175+?
Last edited by goblue91750 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: For those who sat out to retake LSAT...

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm

I had a useless humanities major. I got a job as a paper pusher at a small firm. Then again, your GPA is about 1.0 higher than mine was so you can probably find something better than I did.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm

If you want to be different and not go the law firm slave route, then try an "exciting" year or two in publishing or journalism.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 pm

I took the year-off-and-retake route and I think it's worked out pretty well. If you didn't take any PT's at all and the real thing was your first try, then definitely definitely retake.

My first PT was a 160, then I studied my ass off for 3 months and took 30 PT's, and got a 170. I got into two of CCN and $$ at several of MVPDNCG, and still didn't think it was safe enough to go to law school given ITE (I know, call me paranoid). So I decided to take a year off, restudy, retake, and get some WE. It was probably the best thing I ever did. I've been able to knock off a good chunk of my UG debt, increase my LSAT score, get some real world experience, improve my chances of doing well at OCI/EIP, get into a school with an LRAP that will take care of my educational debt regardless of whether I do well at OCI/EIP, and just chill for a while.

So I guess life lessons here are: 1) ITE, the schools you get into/the scholarship $ you get offered matters more than ever, 2) the most significant factor in determining the schools you get into/the scholarship $ you get offered is your LSAT score, 3) the LSAT is a studyable test, 4) most if not all schools (I think it is in fact "all schools," but YMMV) will readily ignore multiple LSAT scores, and 5) investing a little into improving your LSAT score can improve your future by a lot.

As far as getting a job after graduation, I was also a Poli Sci major at a T25 university with next to no work/internship experience during UG, and I had no trouble getting offers for paralegal jobs, teaching overseas, 9-5 desk jockey, etc. I decided to do AmeriCorps because I wanted travel and get the hell out of LA for a while, and it just so happened that there was an AmeriCorps opening with a nonprofit legal center out of state. Really, if you have a 3.7x from a decent UG, you should be able to get something as long as you put in the effort.

HTH

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm

If you have any interest in civil law you can be an insurance adjuster. I know my company just requires a BA (in anything) to be qualified. It's interesting (depending on what line of insurance you do). I feel like I'll have a leg up when I eventually get to OCI (retaking and applying next year) because I've negotiated large losses and handled those claims.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Stanford, I have your exact GPA and a 177 and got dinged. There is probably no LSAT that would make you a safe admit there. Berkeley is difficult to predict as well, but if you get into the high 160s you should have a great shot at UCLA and/or USC, which I assume place very well in OC/SD.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

I didn't take the time off because of the LSAT, but I have spent four years working while figuring out what I would do next. I have had a few jobs, but I am currently a supervisor at a doc support services department in biglaw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”