How to Withdraw Applications Gracefully?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Geneva

How to Withdraw Applications Gracefully?

Postby Geneva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 am

What is the proper etiquette for withdrawing applications before the seat deposit deadline (and after)?
I want to be as polite as possible...some of these schools have been especially accommodating, upped my scholly offer, etc...
Thanks!

Curious1

Re: How to Withdraw Applications Gracefully?

Postby Curious1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:25 am

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please withdraw my application from consideration.

Thank you very much,

Geneva

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 am

Curious1 wrote:Dear Sir or Madam,

Please gracefully withdraw my application from consideration.

Thank you very much,

Geneva

FTFY

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 am

nkp007 wrote:

Thank you very much,

Geneva

FTFY

haha. i feel bad for not withdrawing earlier and forgetting about a deposit deadline. i checked my voicemail and had 2 nice messages from the dean of a particular school increasing my scholarship. i feel like email somehow doesn't cut it, but i guess a short message will minimize further energy wasted on me.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:28 pm

I actually spent some time trying to make mine as polite as possible. If you're interested, PM me and I'll be happy to share an example or two.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Geneva wrote:i feel like email somehow doesn't cut it, but i guess a short message will minimize further energy wasted on me.

Exactly. You're a dean who has hundreds of of these things to deal with. Would you rather spend time on a phone call, or get an e-mail that you can take care of in a few seconds?

Be polite, be to the point, but don't agonize over it.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Don't put off breaking up withdrawing your app when you know you want to.
Prolonging the situation only makes it worse.
Tell him them honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly.
Don't make a big production.
Don't make up an elaborate story.
This will help you avoid a big tear jerking scene.
If you wanna date other people attend other law schools, say so.
Be prepared for the boy school to feel hurt and rejected.
Even if you've gone together known each other for only a short time, and haven't been too serious, there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says they prefer the company of others to your exclusive company.
But if you're honest, and direct, and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news, the boy school will respect you for your frankness, and honestly, he'll they'll appreciate the kind of straight forward manner in which you told him them your decision.
Unless he's they're a real jerk or a cry baby, you will remain friends.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:44 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Don't put off breaking up withdrawing your app when you know you want to.
Even if you've gone together known each other for only a short time, and haven't been too serious, there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says they prefer the company of others to your exclusive company.
But if you're honest, and direct, and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news, the boy school will respect you for your frankness, and honestly, he'll they'll appreciate the kind of straight forward manner in which you told him them your decision.

+1 LOVE THIS :)

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Geneva wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Don't put off breaking up withdrawing your app when you know you want to.

+1 LOVE THIS :)

Lol in all seriousness though, just tell them how you feel when you withdraw. I felt guilty as well removing apps from generous schools. When I turned down schools that treated me well, I made sure to thank them for everything they have done ato help me and provided a succinct reason why I woudn't be attending.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Lol in all seriousness though, just tell them how you feel when you withdraw. I felt guilty as well removing apps from generous schools. When I turned down schools that treated me well, I made sure to thank them for everything they have done ato help me and provided a succinct reason why I woudn't be attending.

Does better LRAP elsewhere count as a succinct and legit reason?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Geneva wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Lol in all seriousness though, just tell them how you feel when you withdraw. I felt guilty as well removing apps from generous schools. When I turned down schools that treated me well, I made sure to thank them for everything they have done ato help me and provided a succinct reason why I woudn't be attending.

So long as you don't phrase it as, "School X has a better LRAP program than you so I am going there." I would just put it vaguely like, "A major concern of mine in deciding where to attend law school was loan repayment programs. Unfortunately, school X is better suited to fit my needs at this time." Keep it short, but make it flowerly.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Geneva wrote:

So long as you don't phrase it as, "School X has a better LRAP program than you so I am going there." I would just put it vaguely like, "A major concern of mine in deciding where to attend law school was loan repayment programs. Unfortunately, school X is better suited to fit my needs at this time." Keep it short, but make it flowerly.

Right. My problem is that I told a lot of schools that I would love/be grateful for/etc the opp to attend and went on and on about why they were the perfect fit. I actually meant these things when I wrote them and would have been thrilled to attend any of the aforementioned schools...never dreamed I would be accepted to Stanford. Soooo, now I feel like a real jerk backing out of places like Berkeley where my flowery praised probably helped me get in. But, c'est la vie.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Geneva wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Geneva wrote:

Right. My problem is that I told a lot of schools that I would love/be grateful for/etc the opp to attend and went on and on about why they were the perfect fit. I actually meant these things when I wrote them and would have been thrilled to attend any of the aforementioned schools...never dreamed I would be accepted to Stanford. Soooo, now I feel like a real jerk backing out of places like Berkeley where my flowery praised probably helped me get in. But, c'est la vie.
Boalt probably loses 50 people a year to Stanford. They're not going to take it personally. You don't have to mention which school you've decided on in your withdrawl email. Just say "While attending Boalt would be an excellent opportunity and I was thrilled to have been admitted, I have decided that it is not the school that best serves my personal needs" or "While receiving an acceptance to Boalt was extremely flattering, I have decided on another course for my legal education." Thank them for their time and consideration and sign off. Done.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 pm

good work keeping the reason succinct. let me guess: two words?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I BCC'd them all.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm

To whom it may concern:

I regret to inform you that I will be withdrawing my application from your law school. I appreciate your generous scholarship offer, but unfortunately I really don't want to take on any debt for law school, so free tuition just isn't going to cut it. I hope you understand.

Warmest regards,

shredderrrrrr
Opperman Scholar

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:26 pm

angrybird wrote:To whom it may concern:

I regret to inform you that I will be withdrawing my application from your law school. I appreciate your generous scholarship offer, but unfortunately I really don't want to take on any debt for law school, so free tuition just isn't going to cut it. I hope you understand.

Warmest regards,

shredderrrrrr
Opperman Scholar

--ImageRemoved--

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 pm

With the exception of NU, mine all went something like this

Dear admissions staff,

Thank you so much for your time and consideration, but I will not be enrolling in the fall and need to withdraw my application. I will be matriculating at a different school.

Sincerely,
emkay
LSAC #00000000000

No need to get creative. i think letting them know is what counts.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm

if you can't figure this out you should take some time off before you drop money and time on law school. its basic decision making level stuff here.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:37 am

My withdrawal language. Feel free to adapt.

In light of decisions by other schools and out of respect for your time in this admissions season, I hereby withdraw my application for admission to Acme College of Law.

I thank you for the opportunities you have afforded me and apologize for time already spent on my file.

Please advise if there are additional procedures for such a withdrawal.

Sincerely,
BVest

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:42 am

BVest wrote:My withdrawal language. Feel free to adapt.

In light of decisions by other schools and out of respect for your time in this admissions season, I hereby withdraw my application for admission to Acme College of Law.

I thank you for the opportunities you have afforded me and apologize for time already spent on my file.

Please advise if there are additional procedures for such a withdrawal.

Sincerely,
BVest

I honestly think this is too wordy. They know why you're withdrawing (obviously because you had a better option). And why would you apologize for the time they spent on your file?

This kind of language might be appropriate if you personally met the dean or they spent an inordinate amount of time talking to you though. For example if you asked your scholarships to be increased, etc.

At most law schools, the yield is less than 50%, so they probably deal with hundreds of these withdrawals. I'm sure they won't lose too much sleep over you individually and would prefer a briefer note.

Postby 071816 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 am

emkay625 wrote:No need to get creative. i think letting them know is what counts.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 am

nkp007 wrote:

Thank you very much,

Geneva

FTFY

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”