T-14 Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rinkrat19

Re: T-14 Advice

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am

pat4redick wrote:Also, what kind of advice for employment in the meantime? I would need WE but I am having trouble finding opportunities at Courthouses around me. Where else would be advantageous places to have experience if I cannot secure something at the courthouse?
Others are giving you plenty of good advice on the LSAT, but no one seems to have addressed this: NU doesn't care what your WE is. It doesn't have to be law-related at ALL. (There are a fair number of paralegals there, but mostly people have been doing other things.) Really what they are looking for when they want WE is maturity. They don't want a lot of K-JD kids who've never been self-supporting. Whether you support yourself working at Starbucks or at Goldman Sachs, it's fine with NU; it's the "support yourself" part that's key.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 am

pat4redick wrote:Here's the story:

I'm looking to get into a T-14 school. Namely Georgetown or Northwestern. I will graduate with 3.27 GPA with a very strong upward trend, double major (broadcast journalism and political science) from UMiami.

I've taken the LSAT twice during the school year and applied extremely late in the cycle. 160, 164. Got a bunch T1 acceptances but debating on retaking in June and see how I do. I'd have 6 weeks to study which I've never really had before.

I have two questions: What is the score I need to break into the T-14 considering I ED at places? Also, what kind of advice for employment in the meantime? I would need WE but I am having trouble finding opportunities at Courthouses around me. Where else would be advantageous places to have experience if I cannot secure something at the courthouse?

If you could offer any advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Edit: taking October test.

I have a 3.23 and a 173 and got NU and Georgetown. My guess is for Georgetown you would need a 171 and for NU a 172. (I'm basing this on trends from LSN).

Also, for NU, you will need at least 2 years of full-time work experience post-undergrad.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:34 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
pat4redick wrote:Also, what kind of advice for employment in the meantime? I would need WE but I am having trouble finding opportunities at Courthouses around me. Where else would be advantageous places to have experience if I cannot secure something at the courthouse?
Others are giving you plenty of good advice on the LSAT, but no one seems to have addressed this: NU doesn't care what your WE is. It doesn't have to be law-related at ALL. (There are a fair number of paralegals there, but mostly people have been doing other things.) Really what they are looking for when they want WE is maturity. They don't want a lot of K-JD kids who've never been self-supporting. Whether you support yourself working at Starbucks or at Goldman Sachs, it's fine with NU; it's the "support yourself" part that's key.

+1.

This is right - my work experience is in no way legal related.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:50 am

emkay625 wrote:Also, for NU, you will need at least 2 years of full-time work experience post-undergrad.

I really doubt that will be necessary. I only had ~7 months of WE when I applied, with a significantly lower GPA (2.8), and I was accepted to NU before the end of the calendar year. Post-grad WE will be necessary, but 'at least 2 years' seems like a bit of an exaggeration.

realhero

Postby realhero » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm

This thread is my twin. Thanks for posting.

Also, that's kind of awesome that NU doesn't care what kind of WE you have.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Also, for NU, you will need at least 2 years of full-time work experience post-undergrad.

I really doubt that will be necessary. I only had ~7 months of WE when I applied, with a significantly lower GPA (2.8), and I was accepted to NU before the end of the calendar year. Post-grad WE will be necessary, but 'at least 2 years' seems like a bit of an exaggeration.

A friend of mine had less than a year and it wasn't very serious at all. Two years is waay too much to be necessary.

doclover

Postby doclover » Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

A friend of mine had less than a year and it wasn't very serious at all. Two years is waay too much to be necessary.

Not necessary, I'm sure, but how about helpful?

Of course I ask because I will have two years +.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm

doclover wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Most of the school has 2+ years. Almost all of the school has 1+ years.

doclover

Postby doclover » Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
doclover wrote:

Most of the school has 2+ years. Almost all of the school has 1+ years.

Good to know - thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”