Am I a URM?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nigeriansiberian

Am I a URM?

Postby nigeriansiberian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 am

Last edited by nigeriansiberian on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

aekea

Re: Am I a URM?

Postby aekea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 am

It does not make you a URM in terms of law school admissions. It does make you diverse and potentially interesting in other ways.

nigeriansiberian

Postby nigeriansiberian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:57 am

Last edited by nigeriansiberian on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am

No you are not a URM. There are 4 minorities that receive a boost, kashmiri isn't one of them.

As a poster astutely pointed out, above, you don't get a boost but could try and write a diversity statement

Geon

Postby Geon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am

nigeriansiberian wrote:Does being from Kashmir- a disputed territory between India and pakistan- make me a URM?

Obviously being Indian or Pakistani does not qualify you as a URM since there are lots of indian/pakistani applicants to top law schools but there can't be that many Kashmiri applicants to law school. Do I have a golden ticket?

cheers

if ur not american u can't qualify for urm

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 am

Geon wrote:
nigeriansiberian wrote:Does being from Kashmir- a disputed territory between India and pakistan- make me a URM?

Obviously being Indian or Pakistani does not qualify you as a URM since there are lots of indian/pakistani applicants to top law schools but there can't be that many Kashmiri applicants to law school. Do I have a golden ticket?

cheers

You do realize he could be from Kashmir and still be an American, right?

Geon

Postby Geon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:21 pm

jrthor10 wrote:
Geon wrote:

cheers

If that's the case shouldn't he say he is Kashmiri-American?
Look at how the question is worded, there is nothing to indicate he is American.
If someone tells me they are from Kashmir then I cannot assume anything beyond that.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Geon wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:
Geon wrote:

cheers

Look at how the question is worded, there is nothing to indicate he is American.
If someone tells me they are from Kashmir then I cannot assume anything beyond that.

His English fluency indicates that he was raised in an English speaking country. Also, since Kashmir is a disputed region, to say he is Kashmiri is to indicate an ethnic heritage, not a nationality.

Geon

Postby Geon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 pm

if ur not american u can't qualify for urm[/quote]

You do realize he could be from Kashmir and still be an American, right?[/quote]
If someone tells me they are from Kashmir then I cannot assume anything beyond that.[/quote]
His English fluency indicates that he was raised in an English speaking country. Also, since Kashmir is a disputed region, to say he is Kashmiri is to indicate an ethnic heritage, not a nationality.[/quote]

English is the lingua franca of the world, anyone from any country wanting to study in American law school would pretty much need good English.

They speak English in India too, so what. Kashmiri is the only real way you can denote someone from the region because it is disputed, China, India and Pakistan all claim it, so without additional information it is impossible to just guess.
To call someone Kashmiri simply denotes they are from Kashmir as he claimed. I'm not even sure if there is such ethnicity as Kashmiri.

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 am

Geon wrote:
English is the lingua franca of the world, anyone from any country wanting to study in American law school would pretty much need good English.

They speak English in India too, so what. Kashmiri is the only real way you can denote someone from the region because it is disputed, China, India and Pakistan all claim it, so without additional information it is impossible to just guess.
To call someone Kashmiri simply denotes they are from Kashmir as he claimed. I'm not even sure if there is such ethnicity as Kashmiri.

But who are these people in Kashmir with the resources to learn perfect English and the money to attend law school in the United States? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think those people exist. The only person I know who was raised in Kashmir doesn't even know how old he is because nobody kept track and he doesn't have a birth certificate. I guess that's more the point. That it's not just about what he specifically said, but when you look at the context, it just seems very obvious to me that he is an American or at least, from some other Western country.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 am

Why does this even matter? If you are Mexican or Black you can still claim it and get the boost even if you're not American.

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 am

aekea wrote:
Geon wrote:

But who are these people in Kashmir with the resources to learn perfect English and the money to attend law school in the United States? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think those people exist. The only person I know who was raised in Kashmir doesn't even know how old he is because nobody kept track and he doesn't have a birth certificate. I guess that's more the point. That it's not just about what he specifically said, but when you look at the context, it just seems very obvious to me that he is an American or at least, from some other Western country.

I want to add, that by perfect English, I mean, perfectly Western English, with corresponding vernacular and tone. Non-native speakers often have a more formal way of speaking than OP displayed.

Geon

Postby Geon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 am

aekea wrote:
Geon wrote:

There are rich people with access to resources in every country, you'd be surprised. My grand parents own land in a 3rd world country and although the land was not worth much back then its worth millions now. And all in all its only 10 acres. Not to mention anyone in Kashmiri government is likely rich from corruption. There are no more real 3rd world impoverished countries now, its not 1980. Even Somali pirates have mansions in mogadishu and the northern half of somalia is as developed as nice parts of mexico or central america.

Sure there are lots of ghetto people in Kashmir, but those one probably can't even read or use a computer. But like in all 3rd world countries you'd have those rich from government corruption and the business men who profit off them.

There is no way to know that, he wrote like 3 sentences.

Geon

Postby Geon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 am

cinephile wrote:Why does this even matter? If you are Mexican or Black you can still claim it and get the boost even if you're not American.

No, it doesn't count if your not at least a PR.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”