Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

Postby leche » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:20 pm

I have 9 days to decide. I've narrowed my options to two schools - School A is a top 10 with no money, School B is top 20 with $20k/year. I tried negotiating a scholarship with A, but after nearly 2 weeks I haven't heard back yet (and I am not particularly hopeful). Will they wait until after the deposit deadline to let me know?

Also, would it even be possible to negotiate for a bigger scholarship from B without having heard back from A yet? I did receive much larger scholarships from other lower ranked schools, but they are much lower ranked (30-50 range). Could I use those as leverage?

Also, I loooved school B and was sort of "eh" about school A. But because I'm interested in PI work, School A has a much superior LRAP. Ugh can't make up my mind.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Is there really any reason you can't give us the schools? I have a feeling the school is Penn, but knowing would help.

Assuming you're talking about a TX/Vandy/UCLA school as "school B," my guess is that they wouldn't be too motivated by a big offer from a school in the 30-50 range unless it's in their geographic area and thus a school that they frequently compete with.

User avatar
leche
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

Postby leche » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:48 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Is there really any reason you can't give us the schools? I have a feeling the school is Penn, but knowing would help.


Dunno, thought it was tacky I guess...in case admissions people read these? Am I being paranoid?

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 am

leche wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Is there really any reason you can't give us the schools? I have a feeling the school is Penn, but knowing would help.


Dunno, thought it was tacky I guess...in case admissions people read these? Am I being paranoid?


I would say so.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Help with decision and scholarship negotiation

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 am

leche wrote:I have 9 days to decide. I've narrowed my options to two schools - School A is a top 10 with no money, School B is top 20 with $20k/year. I tried negotiating a scholarship with A, but after nearly 2 weeks I haven't heard back yet (and I am not particularly hopeful). Will they wait until after the deposit deadline to let me know?

Also, would it even be possible to negotiate for a bigger scholarship from B without having heard back from A yet? I did receive much larger scholarships from other lower ranked schools, but they are much lower ranked (30-50 range). Could I use those as leverage?

Also, I loooved school B and was sort of "eh" about school A. But because I'm interested in PI work, School A has a much superior LRAP. Ugh can't make up my mind.

It depends on the schools.
You can try to negotiate, worst they can do is say no.
I managed to negotiate without going into details about my other offers, but it will partly depend on your stats relative to their medians. (it's also a little late in the game).
Good luck




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests