getting off a waitlist UNC please help!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ypark87

getting off a waitlist UNC please help!!

Postby ypark87 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 pm

hi all!
sorry about the bad typing my keyboard is a little broken.

i just found out yesterday that i was waitlisted at UNC. this late in the cycle (and with numbers far, far below even their twentyfifth percentile) i had assumed that i had been rejected, so finding out that i was waitlisted was a huge shock to me. i responded to their survey asking to be put on the waitlist til august twentysecond (sry the numbers dont work on my keyboard) and sent an additional letter of interest immediately. i plan to send a second "why UNC" one some time within the next week. i was thinking of sending a statement of interest every two weeks or so, just to continue to show interest and a guarantee that i would attend, if accepted. if i got accepted to UNC i would hands down go, without a doubt.

so i guess my question is, what more should i do? even though i know that the chances of me getting off the waitlist is slim to none, i would at least like to get rejected at the end knowing that i did everything i could to try.

thanks all!

dietcoke0

Re: getting off a waitlist UNC please help!!

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Minor thing is visit school and talk to adcomm there. Other than that just send triweekly updates asking question, asking about status and any updates you might have. If cant visit call up and ask to talk to adcomm and see if you can do anything special.

Honestly if you have sub 25% numbers either you are a urm or they having a terrible cycle. Urm may be your only hope

ypark87

Postby ypark87 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Minor thing is visit school and talk to adcomm there. Other than that just send triweekly updates asking question, asking about status and any updates you might have. If cant visit call up and ask to talk to adcomm and see if you can do anything special.

Honestly if you have sub 25% numbers either you are a urm or they having a terrible cycle. Urm may be your only hope

Is that weird if I sent bi weekly updates? I don't want to harass them, but I do want to show interest.

icecold3000

Postby icecold3000 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 pm

I remember reading an interview with Dean States, where he says that coming of the wait list is determined by demographics. For example, if an OOS accepted applicant withdraws, then they will look for another OOS applicant to replace. If an Instate URM withdraws, they will look for another Instate URM (that is probably way simplified, but you get the point).

ypark87

Postby ypark87 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 pm

icecold3000 wrote:I remember reading an interview with Dean States, where he says that coming of the wait list is determined by demographics. For example, if an OOS accepted applicant withdraws, then they will look for another OOS applicant to replace. If an Instate URM withdraws, they will look for another Instate URM (that is probably way simplified, but you get the point).

So it doesn't matter how many letters I send, if I don't fit their demographics for the spot, then I won't get in?

icecold3000

Postby icecold3000 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 pm

ypark87 wrote:
icecold3000 wrote:I remember reading an interview with Dean States, where he says that coming of the wait list is determined by demographics. For example, if an OOS accepted applicant withdraws, then they will look for another OOS applicant to replace. If an Instate URM withdraws, they will look for another Instate URM (that is probably way simplified, but you get the point).

So it doesn't matter how many letters I send, if I don't fit their demographics for the spot, then I won't get in?

I found the interview with Dean States. Here is a link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... ael-states

Here is how he explained it . . .
And so if we’re looking at our class at a particular time during the summer and we’re at 65% residents and 35% non-residents, then I know I need to add some residents. And, if it looks like we are 70% men and 30% women, then I need to know that I need to add residents who are also women. When this happens, I may then look to see if the pool of resident women come from undergraduate schools we typically draw from, but perhaps don’t already have someone from -- then the question becomes: “can we add resident women from those schools?” So, again, we use our waitlist to affect the profile of the class we are looking to bring in, instead of simply taking people in order to fill empty seats.

Crap shoot at best. Sure you can write a LoCI, update resume and transcripts, but if you don't fit into the right demographic then they will likely never be looked at.

ypark87

Postby ypark87 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 pm

icecold3000 wrote:
ypark87 wrote:

I found the interview with Dean States. Here is a link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... ael-states

Here is how he explained it . . .
And so if we’re looking at our class at a particular time during the summer and we’re at 65% residents and 35% non-residents, then I know I need to add some residents. And, if it looks like we are 70% men and 30% women, then I need to know that I need to add residents who are also women. When this happens, I may then look to see if the pool of resident women come from undergraduate schools we typically draw from, but perhaps don’t already have someone from -- then the question becomes: “can we add resident women from those schools?” So, again, we use our waitlist to affect the profile of the class we are looking to bring in, instead of simply taking people in order to fill empty seats.

Crap shoot at best. Sure you can write a LoCI, update resume and transcripts, but if you don't fit into the right demographic then they will likely never be looked at.

thank you! really helpful. i guess never mind about sending locis then!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”