Still in Highschool. Harden up my math skills?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fuuuu123

Still in Highschool. Harden up my math skills?

Postby Fuuuu123 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:09 am

Soph in highschool. My goal is to go to columbia for grad law school hopefully on a full ride. Nexy year i'm taking US history AP, Pyschology AP, AP language and comp, french 3 honors, algebra 2 honors and chemistry. Should I over the summer take some math classes, currently math and science are my worst 2 subjects and gov,history,languages and law interests me greatly and sometimes I study statutes.

If you guys were in my position what would you do, done differently. I have a LSAT app just on free time to pop a few questions. Amidoinitrite?

Re: Still in Highschool. Harden up my math skills?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 am

Fuuuu123 wrote:Soph in highschool. My goal is to go to columbia for grad law school hopefully on a full ride. Nexy year i'm taking US history AP, Pyschology AP, AP language and comp, french 3 honors, algebra 2 honors and chemistry. Should I over the summer take some math classes, currently math and science are my worst 2 subjects and gov,history,languages and law interests me greatly and sometimes I study statutes.

If you guys were in my position what would you do, done differently. I have a LSAT app just on free time to pop a few questions. Amidoinitrite?

Most people are going to tell you no, but you should learn math. I don't think you should take a math course. But you should make sure you learn SAT math so you can get good scholarships to undergrad.

Don't worry about LSAT bro, you are six years early.

Just make sure you don't get lower than an A- in any college class. Trying to earn mostly A's. If you want a fullride to Columbia you will need a huge GPA. Also, pick a school and a major that will give you back up options if you change your mind, or can't get into law school. And don't go into undergrad student loan debt.

Fuuuu123

Postby Fuuuu123 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Fuuuu123 wrote:Soph in highschool. My goal is to go to columbia for grad law school hopefully on a full ride. Nexy year i'm taking US history AP, Pyschology AP, AP language and comp, french 3 honors, algebra 2 honors and chemistry. Should I over the summer take some math classes, currently math and science are my worst 2 subjects and gov,history,languages and law interests me greatly and sometimes I study statutes.

Most people are going to tell you no, but you should learn math. I don't think you should take a math course. But you should make sure you learn SAT math so you can get good scholarships to undergrad.

Just make sure you don't get lower than an A- in any college class. Trying to earn mostly A's. If you want a fullride to Columbia you will need a huge GPA. Also, pick a school and a major
that will give you back up options if you change your mind, or can't get into law school. And don't go into undergrad student loan debt.

Yea, I just want to be smart as hell, I basically read history books whenever I have free time. Im a perfectionist but not the antisocial and annoying ones, im actually pretty charismatic and have a life. Will get straight A's but don't know what I should major in, i suck at math and science but want a degree that doesnt suck even though im going to lawschool im notgoing to major in liberal arts. As for SAT im going to study like hell so I can get good scholarships but should I if i can go to a good undergrad or just my state school, unlv?

Also im 100% certain i want to become alawyer and I know its quite a shitty market atm but will it get better in half a decade?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:34 am

Fuuuu123 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Just make sure you don't get lower than an A- in any college class. Trying to earn mostly A's. If you want a fullride to Columbia you will need a huge GPA. Also, pick a school and a major
that will give you back up options if you change your mind, or can't get into law school. And don't go into undergrad student loan debt.

Yea, I just want to be smart as hell, I basically read history books whenever I have free time. Im a perfectionist but not the antisocial and annoying ones, im actually pretty charismatic and have a life. Will get straight A's but don't know what I should major in, i suck at math and science but want a degree that doesnt suck even though im going to lawschool im notgoing to major in liberal arts. As for SAT im going to study like hell so I can get good scholarships but should I if i can go to a good undergrad or just my state school, unlv?

Also im 100% certain i want to become alawyer and I know its quite a shitty market atm but will it get better in half a decade?

FYI I meant you shouldn't take a math summer course! You should do regular school math.

You won't like this, but 15 years aren't 100% sure of anything man. For fucks sake you born in the late 90s!

Fuuuu123

Postby Fuuuu123 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Fuuuu123 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

that will give you back up options if you change your mind, or can't get into law school. And
don't go into undergrad student loan debt.

Yea, I just want to be smart as hell, I basically read history books whenever I have free time. Im a perfectionist but not the antisocial and annoying ones, im actually pretty charismatic and
have a life. Will get straight A's but don't know what I should major in, i suck at math and science but want a degree that doesnt suck even though im going to lawschool im notgoing to major in liberal arts. As for SAT im going to study like hell so I can get good scholarships but should I if i can go to a good undergrad or just my state school, unlv?

FYI I meant you shouldn't take a math summer course! You should do regular school math.
You won't like this, but 15 years aren't 100% sure of anything man. For fucks sake you born in the late 90s!

True. Regardless does it matter if i go to a good undergrad, just gpa and lsat right?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 am

For law school, it doesn't really matter. I'd at least try to go to your state flagship school though.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:42 am

Why does this site attract young over confident gunners....nevermind.

MY ADVICE IS TO GET OFF TOP-LAW-SCHOOLS.com FOR THE NEXT SIX YEARS AND GO GET LAID.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:55 am

I cannot believe DF actually posted sincerely in this thread.

Do as DF said. Go to an undergrad where your GPA will be as close to 4.0 as possible in whatever subject so that your only concern for law school will be your score on the LSAT.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:15 pm

This is the ultimate gunner?

Anyway, if you live in a different part of the country that you want to practice in, sans NYC, then try and get undergrad there. Would build some ties. Find a cheaper liberal arts school with a major you would love, and just get a decent gpa in cake classes. Work on LSAT and you golden.

But seriously too young bro.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:20 pm

shoeshine wrote:Why does this site attract young over confident gunners....nevermind.

MY ADVICE IS TO GET OFF TOP-LAW-SCHOOLS.com FOR THE NEXT SIX YEARS AND GO GET LAID.

TITCR

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:23 pm

1) Don't worry about LSAT until 3-5 months out from when you want to take it
2) GET ALL A's in college. If you have the choice of going to a school that offers A+ grades (which count as above a 4.0) and all else being equal between that and another school that just gives regular 4.0 A's, takes the A+ though this really inst a big deal at all just something i did not think to consider when I was in High school.
3) Pick a major that is marketable in the case you do not go to law school.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Don't go to law school. Read a chemistry book and go to med school. BIGMEDICINE pays more and you won't be a drain on society.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:28 pm

If I worked as hard in high school as I do now, I would be at Yale.

chem

Postby chem » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Get to AP Calc B by the end of high school. Unless you do engineering, thats all the math youll need

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm

I actually think its great that OP is starting this early. It gives him plenty of time not to make all of our mistakes.

1. Don't spend a penny on undergrad. There are enough undergrads out there that there is a full ride for everyone. Law school is damn expensive and only getting more expensive.

2. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU GO TO UNDERGRAD. I go to a T6 law school, and there are people there from Princeton and Harvard and tons of TTTT state schools in states you've never even heard of. Go the place that is 1. cheapest 2. easiest 3. the most fun

3. The only thing that matters in law school admissions is LSAT and GPA. Since you know this from the beginning, major in something where you know you can get a good GPA. Worry about the LSAT later. It's a test that can be learned and if you set your goal high enough and put enough into it, you should be able to attain it.

4. Remember that, even more than admissions, law school scholarships are formualaically determined by LSAT and GPA. For instance, if you get a 3.99 / 175, you will almost certainly get a full ride from a top six school (the top 3 don't give merit scholarships).

5. When picking activities / internships / work in undergrad, don't think "What will law schools think about this", instead think "What will future legal employers think about this?". If you go straight through from undergrad, your leadership and professional activities from undergrad are all you have in terms of work experience to impress employers.

6. Nothing from high school matters to anyone for any reason once you're a semester in to college. GPA, AP Scores (aside from academic credit), standardized scores, work experience, student government, marching band - no one will ever care at all.

7. This should be everything you need to know about your quest for law school until your junior year of college. NOW get off TLS and go get laid.

8. #7 is actual advice pre-legal advice. Legal employers will more likely hire you if you are sociable and confident.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:39 pm

DF's advice about not taking out huge loans for undergrad and about majoring in a marketable skill (so not philosophy, political science, english, basketweaving, etc.) is TCR.

Also, a huge part of math is patience and perseverance. I hated math in high school and college, but I wish I had tried more now. Math isn't always useful later in life, but it's like knowing a different language--in some situations it can be really helpful.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:42 pm

pick an easy UG major, some kind of BA or social science.. whatever it takes to pad your GPA
any monkey can pass Calc 1 or whatever the GenEd requirement is

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Doritos wrote:Don't go to law school. Read a chemistry book and go to med school. BIGMEDICINE pays more and you won't be a drain on society.

This is false. 4 years of student loans for med school + 3 years of residency, which pays a shitlaw salary for worse than shitlaw hours, is way worse of a deal than 3 years of student loans for law school + biglaw. (Granted, employment is practically guaranteed, which is a real consideration). OP clearly does not care whether he is drain on society because he is considering law school.

If you really want money, major in finance, get a decent jerb for 3 years, then go to B school.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Doritos wrote:Don't go to law school. Read a chemistry book and go to med school. BIGMEDICINE pays more and you won't be a drain on society.

Doctors that don't care about helping people are a drain on society.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:50 pm

shoeshine wrote: GO GET LAID.

Seriously dude. Enjoy high school. Then enjoy undergrad. You might be "100% sure" on law right now, but there's really nothing you can do in the mean time. Relax and have fun until life gets real.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Fuck you guys for taking the OP seriously. :lol:

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm

drmguy wrote:

Doctors that don't care about helping people are a drain on society.

Even if they dont' CARE about helping people they are. Unless of course they aren't. In that case you, good sir, have won this round.

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Go into engineering and get a real jerb, never look back.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Last edited by SunshineMagic on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presh

Postby presh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”