Some questions about GPA!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
LawyerBrah
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Some questions about GPA!

Postby LawyerBrah » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello all!

My college doesn't offer anything above an A (4.0)

I've recently realized that Professors in my college can put an A+ on their computer when submitting grades

A or A+ both have the same value in my college

I'd like to start asking my professors to give me A+'s instead of A's but I'm not sure how to approach them about it. I know it sounds stupid; but I'm unsure how Professors would reply to me asking for an A+ when they generally give people A's

Also, when applying to law schools, do the schools get your LSDAS GPA and your regular college GPA? -- or do they only get the LSDAS GPA.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:30 pm

All that matters is what your transcript says, not what your professors can enter in their computers, so it just depends on the grading system and registrar at your school. But if you can brown nose your way into a bunch of A+s, more power to you.

User avatar
LawyerBrah
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby LawyerBrah » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Tom Joad wrote:All that matters is what your transcript says, not what your professors can enter in their computers, so it just depends on the grading system and registrar at your school. But if you can brown nose your way into a bunch of A+s, more power to you.



Well on my transcript it would show A+

Though an A+ and A are both 4.0 at my school. So it wouldn't really change my school GPA.

But I'm assuming LSDAS recalculates your GPA based on the letter grades; Is that correct?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:All that matters is what your transcript says, not what your professors can enter in their computers, so it just depends on the grading system and registrar at your school. But if you can brown nose your way into a bunch of A+s, more power to you.



Well on my transcript it would show A+

Though an A+ and A are both 4.0 at my school. So it wouldn't really change my school GPA.

But I'm assuming LSDAS recalculates your GPA based on the letter grades; Is that correct?

Yeah, that is how my school was and it hooked me up with a boss GPA, but you have to be sure that the A+s actually go onto your final transcripts (your school actually awards then and it is just not the grading software).

User avatar
LawyerBrah
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby LawyerBrah » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:All that matters is what your transcript says, not what your professors can enter in their computers, so it just depends on the grading system and registrar at your school. But if you can brown nose your way into a bunch of A+s, more power to you.



Well on my transcript it would show A+

Though an A+ and A are both 4.0 at my school. So it wouldn't really change my school GPA.

But I'm assuming LSDAS recalculates your GPA based on the letter grades; Is that correct?

Yeah, that is how my school was and it hooked me up with a boss GPA, but you have to be sure that the A+s actually go onto your final transcripts (your school actually awards then and it is just not the grading software).



I asked for a printed copy of my transcript and i had like two A+'s on it.

Just in general Professors don't give A+'s at my college since their worth no more than an A.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:54 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:I asked for a printed copy of my transcript and i had like two A+'s on it.

Just in general Professors don't give A+'s at my college since their worth no more than an A.

Then that is exactly how mine was. Some gave them, just because. Some didn't bother, since it didn't matter for your school GPA. Now you have no excuse for anything less than a 4.0 :wink:

User avatar
marlo45
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby marlo45 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 am

If you haven't already used this http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-LSDAS-GPA-Calculator.htm, try it out. Hope it's accurate because it's telling me that i'm currently above a 4.0 since it calculates an A+ as 4.33. My school is like yours; it awards A+ but that's still the same 4.0 as an A.

User avatar
calverna
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby calverna » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:18 am

Tell them for law school admission purposes A+s count for 4.33, regardless of how your school calculates it. This is how I've approached it and professors are sympathetic.

User avatar
LawyerBrah
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby LawyerBrah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:57 am

Are law schools sent your LSDAS GPA and regular college GPA? or do they only see the LSDAS GPA?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Some questions about GPA!

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:45 am

They see both but they only care about the LSDAS one.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: whsy and 6 guests