C&F: Well I just pretty much f***ed myself.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
woeisme

Re: C&F: Well I just pretty much f***ed myself.

Postby woeisme » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:15 pm

This is actually kind of common I think. People omitting this sort of information from their applications. First of all, calm yourself down and wipe away those tears bro because I am pretty damn sure that this will not be a problem for you in any respect.

Although I 100% think you should come forward this information, it doesn't really sound like this going to be traceable in any real way and I don't think you actually were arrested here. You were never charged with anything. I'd recommend filing an addendum to the school disclosing this incident the way you've done here, but in a more coherent and matter-of-fact way. Like six sentences or so. Basically explaining that this was an oversight, that you're not sure if you're supposed to disclose the incident but are choosing to do so in an abundance of caution, and that you are still very much looking forward to attending the school.

Although I'd suggest you do this ASAP, I honestly think this can also be done upon arrival in the fall. This is not the sort of incident that any law school is going to care about. You're solid, dude. Just deal with it for the sake of process, but don't get lost in your head about the worst-case-scenario outcome.

If you're still freaking out and wanna talk more about this, shoot me a PM. I can give you relevant information that may calm your nerves.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:For the record I think it's a silly thing to be worried about too but I've seen so many paranoid posts like this that it doesn't even phase me anymore. If it will make OP feel better he should just disclose it to the school now since there is virtually no chance it will affect his admission

This is 100% correct.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It won't hurt you; it's not like you're an internet stalker or something ultra creepy & psychotic like that.

I don't stalk you you idiot. You post in every fucking thread. The day you see me posting in a thread about canadian law schools or doing shitlaw in Florida or whatever the hell it is you actually know something about, then you'll know I'm stalking you.

I hope you have some additional reason to assume that CWolf's comment was directed at you because if you don't, ... whoa there. hehe.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:19 pm

woeisme wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It won't hurt you; it's not like you're an internet stalker or something ultra creepy & psychotic like that.

I don't stalk you you idiot. You post in every fucking thread. The day you see me posting in a thread about canadian law schools or doing shitlaw in Florida or whatever the hell it is you actually know something about, then you'll know I'm stalking you.

I hope you have some additional reason to assume that CWolf's comment was directed at you because if you don't, ... whoa there. hehe.

CWolf has been accusing him of stalking him in threads in several threads in which they coincidentally post together because they both post a lot. It was obvious to me who it was directed at.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 pm

It wasn't, but if the shoe fits... :D

bne

Postby bne » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Relax, you're fine. Just submit an addendum that briefly explains this situation to the school. True, it probably won't come up but being upfront about it and letting the school know can't hurt and will probably make you feel better.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Is this a joke? As another who has big boy character and fitness issues to worry about, it really is kind of insulting to freak out on this. I have felony arrests to explain, and I'm not freaking out, grow up.

I keep seeing posts like this in threads like these, and I wonder - how is it that seeing another person being worried about any possible criminal misconduct / records from their past makes one angry? How is that offensive? It is somehow disrespectful to YOU, because you have big boy C&F issues? Wait... why do you have those issues? Because you have felony arrests?

Let me get this straight: You managed to be a dumbass and break the law - which you brought entirely upon yourself - and now you're offended that others managed to follow the law slightly better than you but are still concerned their past legal/criminal issues might affect their enrollment into a school in which they prepare you to practice law?

Do you realize how stupid that is? You're somehow offended because you've managed to fuck up more than other people have fucked up?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:58 pm

pwyoung wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Is this a joke? As another who has big boy character and fitness issues to worry about, it really is kind of insulting to freak out on this. I have felony arrests to explain, and I'm not freaking out, grow up.

I keep seeing posts like this in threads like these, and I wonder - how is it that seeing another person being worried about any possible criminal misconduct / records from their past makes one angry? How is that offensive? It is somehow disrespectful to YOU, because you have big boy C&F issues? Wait... why do you have those issues? Because you have felony arrests?

Let me get this straight: You managed to be a dumbass and break the law - which you brought entirely upon yourself - and now you're offended that others managed to follow the law slightly better than you but are still concerned their past legal/criminal issues might affect their enrollment into a school in which they prepare you to practice law?

Do you realize how stupid that is? You're somehow offended because you've managed to fuck up more than other people have fucked up?

Thanks for being judge and jury. I said I was arrested, not convicted. I don't mind people saying "Oh man, I had this little issue, hope it's alright, whats your opinion?" I can't stand "OMGZ IM SO TOTALLY FUCKED.." Taking that attitude over a literally meaningless incident IS insulting to others who have real problems to work through... Not to mention if you keep seeing posts like mine, then obviously others get offended by it as well.

More importantly, slow your thought process down a bit. I told you I had felony arrests. You immediately assumed I'm a convicted criminal, and declared me a "fuck up". I didn't even tell you what the arrest was for!

When people post things like "My life is fucked...I got a traffic ticket" it's concerning. How are they going to handle things when they're facing something that is actually a problem.

in2win

Postby in2win » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:00 pm

pwyoung wrote:

I think a good comparison that would help you understand why it would upset someone is: why do poor people get upset listening to rich people complain about how they hate their lives because they don't have a movie theater in theyre new mansion or theyre parents would only buy them the 3 series BMW instead of the M3. because it is crazy to complain/ freak out about such a stupid thing when people have real world problems.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 pm

in2win wrote:
pwyoung wrote:

I think a good comparison that would help you understand why it would upset someone is: why do poor people get upset listening to rich people complain about how they hate their lives because they don't have a movie theater in theyre new mansion or theyre parents would only buy them the 3 series BMW instead of the M3. because it is crazy to complain/ freak out about such a stupid thing when people have real world problems.

Felonies are "real world" problems? This isn't some trivial issue of spoiled children - law school is a massive commitment and for good amount of people, a source of thousands of dollars of debt. God forbid somebody would be concerned that their criminal history - which, believe it or not, the majority of Americans don't have - might affect that investment.

It's hilarious that people who have committed crimes are now the ones taking some sort of "real world, big boy" high ground and managing to get insulted - seriously? Here's the real world: You're the one that fucked up. The only person you should be upset at is yourself.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Lol, jesus dude.

Please, when you decide to divulge this to the LS, do it casually. If I was an adcomm and some kid sent me what you wrote in your OP, I'd reject them immediately . . . but not for C&F issues.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Felonies are "real world" problems?

Is this an actual question? If so, are you questioning whether or not people in the real world have felonies or whether or not those felonies are problems?

This isn't some trivial issue of spoiled children - law school is a massive commitment and for good amount of people, a source of thousands of dollars of debt. God forbid somebody would be concerned that their criminal history - which, believe it or not, the majority of Americans don't have - might affect that investment.

This is an entirely valid point, although I also believe the "OMGZ my life is so ruined!!!!"-esque thread title is massive overkill, considering the actual issue the OP is confronting.

Should someone who has been arrested for a felony feel insulted by the original post? Of course not. I tend to believe none of these people complaining were actually offended or insulted. They were probably annoyed at the OP's fairly obvious and dramatic overreaction to the situation, and went a little too far in characterizing their reactions. Although I've never been arrested, I'll have to say the OP had me rolling my eyes a bit.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm

pwyoung wrote:criminal history - which, believe it or not, the majority of Americans don't have

Link to a majority of Americans not having an "arrest" as so defined?

pwyoung wrote:It's hilarious that people who have committed crimes are now the ones taking some sort of "real world, big boy" high ground and managing to get insulted - seriously? Here's the real world: You're the one that fucked up. The only person you should be upset at is yourself.

I agree; this is no place to take the moral high ground.

This is the *perfect* place to make fun of someone for being sheltered.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm

pwyoung wrote:Let me get this straight: You managed to be a dumbass and break the law

Stopped reading right there. What an incredible ass.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm

pwyoung wrote:
in2win wrote:
pwyoung wrote:

Felonies are "real world" problems? This isn't some trivial issue of spoiled children - law school is a massive commitment and for good amount of people, a source of thousands of dollars of debt. God forbid somebody would be concerned that their criminal history - which, believe it or not, the majority of Americans don't have - might affect that investment.

It's hilarious that people who have committed crimes are now the ones taking some sort of "real world, big boy" high ground and managing to get insulted - seriously? Here's the real world: You're the one that fucked up. The only person you should be upset at is yourself.

I fucked up? Do tell me how. You're gonna make it real far in law assuming the system works perfectly every time. People get arrested and never see arraignment. People get convicted of crimes and are later exonerated. I tell you I had a felony arrest, and you tell me I'm a fuck up? I've never been convicted of anything. You don't even know what the crime is, what the circumstances were...nothing. You need to open your view of the world up and quick. Not everyone grew up in upper middle class neighborhoods, not everyone has never seen trouble, and having an easy life is not a requisite for being a lawyer.

I can promise you, I'm not the one that's fucked up. My attitude of having survived tough times, having a perspective on things will bring me further than your "everyone who's been at the wrong place at the wrong time is fucked up, everyone with an arrest and no conviction is a criminal" righteousness.

I'm not trying to make enemies on this site, so lets admit where we were wrong. Perhaps I've over-reacted to the OP's exaggeration, but a felony arrest does not relegate someone to a life sentence of being a fuck up, nor does it establish them as having committed a crime at all.

And law school could cost $100k a semester, and this original issue would still be trivial.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:And law school could cost $100k a semester, and this original issue would still be trivial.

Could you imagine? :shock:

Someone should lock this thread, OP has already received sound advice.

BK201

Postby BK201 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Morale of the story is to run from the cops.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sensitive ? Plessian anger ? I just wish that you'd quit stalking me. Besides, if you were an actual law student, you'd be a little more concerned about C&F's view of stalking.

Well, your advice is almost always pure shit, so it's no surprise some folks would give you grief for it.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 pm

BK201 wrote:Morale of the story is to run from the cops.

URM status + anything other than full cooperation with police = justified shooting

bne

Postby bne » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:51 am

pwyoung wrote:It's hilarious that people who have committed crimes are now the ones taking some sort of "real world, big boy" high ground and managing to get insulted - seriously? Here's the real world: You're the one that fucked up. The only person you should be upset at is yourself.

What an ass. You're aware that an arrest is not a conviction, right? If not, you have a long way to go before studying law. Quit being a dick and jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

BK201

Postby BK201 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:52 am

flcath wrote:

URM status + anything other than full cooperation with police = justified shooting

I think you can undo that by brandishing a bag of skittles though right?

nigeriansiberian

Postby nigeriansiberian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 am

lsat is the only thing that matters in life. u should know that

cheers

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:57 am

"...'moral' of the story"...

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm

PDaddy] wrote:

:roll:

PDaddy

"P. Diddy"

See how annoying that is?

bne

Postby bne » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
PDaddy] wrote:

:roll:

PDaddy

"P. Diddy"

See how annoying that is?

Haha I enjoyed this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”