Lulzy as F*ck Article on 10 "Lawyers" with Alternative Jobs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Silver

Lulzy as F*ck Article on 10 "Lawyers" with Alternative Jobs

Post by flcath » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:41 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/real-sto ... 012-4?op=1

If anyone has a similar article profiling American M.D.s who couldn't find work as doctors, and are now on food stamps, please post it ITT.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Re: Lulzy as F*ck Article on 10 "Lawyers" with Alternative Jobs

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:25 am

flcath wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/real-sto ... 012-4?op=1

If anyone has a similar article profiling American M.D.s who couldn't find work as doctors, and are now on food stamps, please post it ITT.
Did you read the details of those grads? Some of them are really stupid.

Edit: I mean Jesus, a couple of these grads had legit jobs and then just left. Just doesn't seem to be capturing truly sympathetic worthy scenarios.
Last edited by RedBirds2011 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:27 am

Did you seriously just repost TTTLS topic?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:33 am

FryBreadPower wrote:Did you seriously just repost TTTLS topic?
Yeah I didn't see the other one, and the article's really new.

This happens sometimes.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 am

flcath wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Did you seriously just repost TTTLS topic?
Yeah I didn't see the other one, and the article's really new.

This happens sometimes.
Didn't notice that you respond to TTTLS AFTER having posted this. Was thinking it was the opposite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeroneous

New

Post by Aeroneous » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:

Did you read the details of those grads? Some of them are really stupid.

Edit: I mean Jesus, a couple of these grads had legit jobs and then just left. Just doesn't seem to be capturing truly sympathetic worthy scenarios.
Agreed. Several had great positions and left because they just didn't like the work. My favorite is the Michigan student who didn't know there were law school rankings, still scored a Wall Street law gig, and then decided to become a real life Hitch because "he had little desire to look for another boring law job." I wonder if he tells his clients to go to law school so they can try and pitch that to the ladies?

Just seems like several people who didn't do their research before they applied to law school and weren't actually sure about what they wanted in life.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:49 pm

flcath wrote: If anyone has a similar article profiling American M.D.s who couldn't find work as doctors, and are now on food stamps, please post it ITT.
Sam Sheppard became a professional wrestler after practicing medicine.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Bro - and I mean this in the best way possible - stop bitching and go to med school. From what I can tell, you have the qualifications, and law/law school obviously isn't what you had hoped, so cut the cord and become a doctor. Bringing up medicine/med school in every other thread only serves to incite the same tired discussion; don't become the MTal of med school.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 pm

There are plenty of M.D.s who can't find work as doctors if you include Caribbean grads.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:31 pm

beachbum wrote:don't become the MTal of med school.
That ship has sailed.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:16 am

TheWeeIceMon wrote:

There are plenty of M.D.s who can't find work as doctors if you include Caribbean grads.
American M.D.s, bro.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:19 am

beachbum wrote:Bro - and I mean this in the best way possible - stop bitching and go to med school. From what I can tell, you have the qualifications, and law/law school obviously isn't what you had hoped, so cut the cord and become a doctor. Bringing up medicine/med school in every other thread only serves to incite the same tired discussion; don't become the MTal of med school.
+1000

I'm not really paying attention and I notice that all you do is post about med school. We get it, you want to bone a doctor.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:
beachbum wrote:Bro - and I mean this in the best way possible - stop bitching and go to med school. From what I can tell, you have the qualifications, and law/law school obviously isn't what you had hoped, so cut the cord and become a doctor. Bringing up medicine/med school in every other thread only serves to incite the same tired discussion; don't become the MTal of med school.
+1000

I'm not really paying attention and I notice that all you do is post about med school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
+1000

I'm not really paying attention and I notice that all you do is post about med school.
You felt really strongly about this, huh?

I try to mix the schtick up, but hiring season is over so I don't know what else to post about.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:37 am

Yeah, lots of failed lawyers are totally qualified to be doctors...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:48 am

flcath wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
+1000

You felt really strongly about this, huh?

I try to mix the schtick up, but hiring season is over so I don't know what else to post about.
Hah ya I guess I did.

That kind of posting just jumps out at me as being absurd, just like the people who post about "why don't people gun for big-finance." Law/medicine/banking are all widely different despite over-lapping in certain areas and the VAST majority of law students are in no way qualified to do medicine or banking. Some are for sure but they still choose to go to law school instead of med school or biz school.

All professions suck to a certain degree, it's work. Nobody would do it if we didn't need to put food on the table. Especially these three professions, they are all full of stress, long hours, and sacrifices. However, if you do them right, you get paid well. I don't even know where I'm going with this post anymore.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Yeah, lots of failed lawyers are totally qualified to be doctors...
I thought MTal never went to law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:05 pm

flcath wrote:
TheWeeIceMon wrote:

American M.D.s, bro.
Americans can get their M.D.s from the Caribbean. To be fair, I'm mostly just trolling. I know that you meant M.D.s who graduated from schools in the states.

I'm curious flcath, were you ever a pre-med? If so, why did you switch?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 pm

TheWeeIceMon wrote:
flcath wrote:
TheWeeIceMon wrote:

American M.D.s, bro.
Americans can get their M.D.s from the Caribbean. To be fair, I'm mostly just trolling. I know that you meant M.D.s who graduated from schools in the states.

Yeah. Great MCAT, but way too low on the GPA side (3.2) to get into a US program. Law school doesn't reject people, and it seemed interesting (I still think it is), so I came here.

I think I thought at the time I wouldn't succeed at a post-bacc; I'd never been a big studier. A lot of that was just being around FSU though--place is fun as fuck; it's hard to concentrate.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:35 pm

flcath wrote:
TheWeeIceMon wrote: Americans can get their M.D.s from the Caribbean. To be fair, I'm mostly just trolling. I know that you meant M.D.s who graduated from schools in the states.

Yeah. Great MCAT, but way too low on the GPA side (3.2) to get into a US program. Law school doesn't reject people, and it seemed interesting (I still think it is), so I came here.

I think I thought at the time I wouldn't succeed at a post-bacc; I'd never been a big studier. A lot of that was just being around FSU though--place is fun as fuck; it's hard to concentrate.
Totally understand this. I was curious because I decided to make the opposite switch, since I realized that I just wasn't interested in law school anymore. However, I had a relatively low gpa when I graduated too. I ended up going the post-bac route, both to bring up my gpa and to finish the pre-reqs (I was an engineering major). Will finally be finishing in a couple weeks after about 2 years of taking classes and building ECs.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:46 pm

I have some friends that went the D.O. route and they can do the exact same things an M.D. can these days. Same residencies and everything...the MDs and DOs together. Those are easier to get into and have just as much job security. Why not do that? Will a 3.2 keep you out of a D.O. Program? Idk how widely those are available where you are?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:02 pm

F**k.......I can't stand this discussion anymore.

FLCATH, drop out and stop making these shitty threads that devolve into MD vs. DO vs. JD circlejerks.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 pm

shoeshine wrote:F**k.......I can't stand this discussion anymore.

FLCATH, drop out and stop making these shitty threads that devolve into MD vs. DO vs. JD circlejerks.
Seriously, for the love of god. Or maybe ask the mods to make a forum to discuss law school v. medicine. Or maybe a mega law v medicine mega thread you can post in to your hearts content. I'm reading the same boring shit in every thread. Maybe you guys can go tell the Dewey SAs that they should have gone to med school and continue the discussion there.

NR3C1

New

Post by NR3C1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:13 pm

F**k.......I can't stand this discussion anymore.
Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.
--The Architect

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm

sunynp wrote:
shoeshine wrote:F**k.......I can't stand this discussion anymore.

Seriously, for the love of god. Or maybe ask the mods to make a forum to discuss law school v. medicine. Or maybe a mega law v medicine mega thread you can post in to your hearts content. I'm reading the same boring shit in every thread. Maybe you guys can go tell the Dewey SAs that they should have gone to med school and continue the discussion there.
Bros, chill out. You're reminding me of the little brehs at my school who get IRATE AS FUCK about too many SBA emails "filling up their inboxes" or whatever. There's an easy solution--that even a retard could come to--if that were really the problem. Incidentally, it's not like TLS is a place for vibrant and varied conversation: adding one additional topic to the 5 or 6 that get constantly repeated over and over again wouldn't hurt.

But the truth is that you get offended at the substance of what I'm saying. Maybe you're secretly jealous of doctors, too; maybe you've got no interest in med school, and you just get offended that I shit on law school because you're proud of the profession, or whatever. I dunno.

If it's the latter, then, *please*, feel free to defend law school. If you're persuasive it'll make me feel better about myself (I view myself as a huge failure for ending up in LS), AND you won't "have to" listen to me anymore. But you've gotta defend the real situation, not some idealized version: 215 schools, no barrier to entry, $40K tuition, stagnant demand, unemployment . . .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”