Receiving one of the LORS from a professor at a CC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deblaw

Receiving one of the LORS from a professor at a CC?

Postby deblaw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Hello,

is receiving a LOR from one of the instructors from a community college where I attended prior to transferring deem less superior than receiving one from the university that I am currently attending?

Dream Machine

Re: Receiving one of the LORS from a professor at a CC?

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 pm

deblaw wrote:Hello,

is receiving a LOR from one of the instructors from a community college where I attended prior to transferring deem less superior than receiving one from the university that I am currently attending?

I really don't think it will hurt you or make the letter any less credible. From what I have learned on this site, letters from instructors who know you personally and your abilities are always considerd best regardless. Everyone has different circumstances. Adcomms don't know what your financial stiuation was. I have heard on this site particularly, that supposedly, they are actually pretty understanding about going the community college route and aren't elitist about that sort of thing, which I think is very positive. Maybe personal finances or family obligations made it impossible for you to go to a university the first time around. Why should they judge you based on that?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Don't worry about that letter being less 'prestigious' because it's from a CC professor. If that professor can speak to your abilities and knows you well, use them. If that professor can't, then skip them. Don't let the institution at which they teach sway your decision.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:00 pm

bp shinners wrote:Don't worry about that letter being less 'prestigious' because it's from a CC professor. If that professor can speak to your abilities and knows you well, use them. If that professor can't, then skip them. Don't let the institution at which they teach sway your decision.

yeah i think a personal LOR from a t.a. or someone who just has his/her master's that speaks to your abilities is wayyy better than some professor who got her phd at nyu and just filled ur name out on some template.

either way, not a huge diff.

Jacky D.

Postby Jacky D. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree with everything that's been said. If its a strong letter that speaks to your strengths, it won't matter that it's from a CC professor. However, an adcomm may wonder why you are reaching so far backward for letters. Unless you've maintained a relationship with the CC professor, make sure your other letter(s) are more recent.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”