Northeastern Vs CUNY Law School Vs waitlist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Northeastern vs Cuny

Northeastern
10%
Cuny
80%
Waitlist
10%

Total votes: 10

piousa

Northeastern Vs CUNY Law School Vs waitlist

Postby piousa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Everyone,

Okay, so I am really interested in pursuing public interest law, thus the reason for these two choices.

However, I really want to be able to practice law in multiple locations as I love traveling etc. Ideally, I want to practice in California or NYC.

So far the advantages I have found for both are:

Northeastern
-co ops
-higher ranked
-public interest
-pursuing a masters in Intl Sustainable Development

Cons
-very very expensive, very little money offered
-Boston-not in the market I want to practice

Cuny
-cheap--really affordable
-highly ranked in public interest
-great professors
-networking

cons
-lower ranked
-not as marketable

American
-wait listed at american but got into their masters program.

So I have gone through this list over and over again, just can't decide and the deadline for deposits is now. :x

Please refrain from posting if you are just interesting in talking bout big law. Once again, I am not interested in anything to do with big law firms or corporate jobs, just public interest. thank you all for your feedback! :)

JoeMo

Re: Northeastern Vs CUNY Law School Vs waitlist

Postby JoeMo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

Don't go to Northeastern. The fact that they don't give real grades can really hurt you. That only works with the HYS schools. Everyone else needs grades/ranks etc...

There are horror stories of NE grads that have suffered due to this.

Edit for source: From JD To Food Stamps

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:01 am

First of all, the rankings of the above schools make no difference. What you need to do is to retake the lsat and reapply. If not go to CUNY because it is cheap.

piousa

Postby piousa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

thank you everyone for the replies.

to law2015, thanks but do not intend on re taking the lsat..this fall will go to law school definitely.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm

piousa wrote:thank you everyone for the replies.

to law2015, thanks but do not intend on re taking the lsat..this fall will go to law school definitely.

Why? Where are you in such a hurry to get to?

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:41 am

piousa wrote:thank you everyone for the replies.

I'll see you ATL in 4 years if you go to either of those 2 TTTTTTTT.

piousa

Postby piousa » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Wow, i was just asking for advice. As for public interest, both these universities are pretty well ranked. I have no intention of going to Atlanta nor do I think I will have to do that.

For those who actually offered advice, thank you.

For those who are cynical and just plain rude, thanks but do you really think with your tone, I would actually listen to anything you have to say?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:12 pm

piousa wrote:Wow, i was just asking for advice. As for public interest, both these universities are pretty well ranked. I have no intention of going to Atlanta nor do I think I will have to do that.

For those who actually offered advice, thank you.

For those who are cynical and just plain rude, thanks but do you really think with your tone, I would actually listen to anything you have to say?

I voted CUNY. You need to minimize debt as much as possible. Your success in public interest will really be up to you- do you have prior work experience in your field, are you willing to take internships/externships/clinics in your area, how good are you at networking with practitioners and professors? Of course grades will also play a huge part as the competition for PI jobs is fierce.

But first, rankings do not mean good job placement. Job prospects are very low right now generally. A school's ranking takes into account a ton of factors other than job placement, which is misrepresented by the law schools anyway. Unfortunately, the way the law school system works there is no separate ranking for public interest. The top public interest jobs will go to the graduates of top 14 law schools who are also public interest minded. If there are less of these jobs (which is what is happening now), those students will take the jobs they would not have considered four years ago and the people who would normally have those jobs will be Shit Out of Luck.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Why don't you want to retake the LSAT?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”