When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Is it bad to submit "Why XXX School" essays because it could damage your chances of getting scholarship money? They might think they don't have to work to get you, since you've already expressed your desire to go there...

Just wanted to get some feedback. Feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been addressed before.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Is it bad to submit "Why XXX School" essays because it could damage your chances of getting scholarship money? They might think they don't have to work to get you, since you've already expressed your desire to go there...

Just wanted to get some feedback. Feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been addressed before.

I can't go into details, but yes, that is a real risk

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:Is it bad to submit "Why XXX School" essays because it could damage your chances of getting scholarship money? They might think they don't have to work to get you, since you've already expressed your desire to go there...

Just wanted to get some feedback. Feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been addressed before.

I can't go into details, but yes, that is a real risk


I don't know for sure, but I imagine that it's generally a good idea to do a Why X. Think of the other side of the coin. A school has hundreds of applicants writing essays about how much they love the school, love the area, etc. I don't think schools are dying to overlook these applicants to throw $ at a kid who, by not doing a Why X, could theoretically have submitted their application for $16 and 10 minutes of their time.

Since it's generally accepted that a good Why X essay is important for getting into the top schools, it reasonably follows that it is also important for getting a scholarship at top schools.

Why shouldn't you do a Why X? If you have some generic template and are just replacing the school's name and talking about how prestigious the school is and how nice the buildings are, etc. Don't waste the adcomms time with a copy and paste job, that would likely hurt you.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 pm

dingbat wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:Is it bad to submit "Why XXX School" essays because it could damage your chances of getting scholarship money? They might think they don't have to work to get you, since you've already expressed your desire to go there...

Just wanted to get some feedback. Feel free to direct me to another thread if this has been addressed before.

I can't go into details, but yes, that is a real risk

I forgot to say, while it is a risk, it is not a problem.
Schollyd are negotiable, after all

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:05 am

When you are almost certainly going to get admitted and you value the 30 minutes to 4 hours you would have spent on that Why X.

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby lsacqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 am

Hmmm no offense, but these responses are pretty generic. What makes you think submitting the Why X isn't a bigger disadvantage than an advantage? I get that it may be strategic in certain instances to submit one. For example, if you're above the 75th percentile for both LSAT/GPA and you're afraid the school might YP you. But if you're within the reasonable range at the school or if you're really interested in going, why risk writing the Why X when you have a shot of getting in with possible scholly $?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 am

You make it sound like scholarship money is only awarded initially and the matter is then closed. If you look at LSN and see people around your numbers getting money where you didn't when you wrote a Why X then sure that might be a factor. However, there is nothing stopping you from sending them a concise email saying "Hay I want to go to your school but I'm not paying sticker". If you are in fact numerically overqualified they will probably give you the scholarship.

It seems like you are advocating or asking about weighing a Why X specifically for schools where you are in danger of being YP'd. I personally would rather write the thing and worry about scholarship negotiations later knowing that I had been accepted than get YPed because I had some scholarship maximization theory that didn't pan out.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: When SHOULDN'T you write "Why X" essays?

Postby dingbat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 am

2014 wrote:You make it sound like scholarship money is only awarded initially and the matter is then closed. If you look at LSN and see people around your numbers getting money where you didn't when you wrote a Why X then sure that might be a factor. However, there is nothing stopping you from sending them a concise email saying "Hay I want to go to your school but I'm not paying sticker". If you are in fact numerically overqualified they will probably give you the scholarship.

It seems like you are advocating or asking about weighing a Why X specifically for schools where you are in danger of being YP'd. I personally would rather write the thing and worry about scholarship negotiations later knowing that I had been accepted than get YPed because I had some scholarship maximization theory that didn't pan out.

Exactly




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], crookedsmile, studyingeveryday and 6 guests