Future prestige poll

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

In 10 years what name will have more cache?

Harvard
90%
Stanford
10%

Total votes: 163

JoeMo

Re: Future prestige poll

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 am

TLS_noobie wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Stanford Michigan will still continue to be known as "The Harvard of the West" for time to come which will then does not translate to it being better having more lay prestige than Harvard or Harvard would be the "Stanford Michigan of the East".

fixed... ;)

Michigan is the Harvard of the Midwest, duh. We're talking real west here.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am

thelawguy wrote:As a prototypical New Englander I have argue that many people would put Williams or Amherst ahead of or at least equal to HYSP. For the size of theses schools they simply dominate Wall Street.

Wut?

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

TLS_noobie wrote:Never heard of it...

<----not a New Englander though

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

JoeMo wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Stanford Michigan will still continue to be known as "The Harvard of the West" for time to come which will then does not translate to it being better having more lay prestige than Harvard or Harvard would be the "Stanford Michigan of the East".

fixed... ;)

I'm guessing Ulrichs doesn't sell it anymore (it was around 6 or so years ago) but you used to be able to buy a T-Shirt that says Harvard: The Michigan of the East ...and the "legend" goes that it is in response to Harvard calling Michigan the Harvard of the West. (not sure if the tshirt still exists though)

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

thelawguy wrote:As a prototypical New Englander I have argue that many people would put Williams or Amherst ahead of or at least equal to HYSP. For the size of theses schools they simply dominate Wall Street.

As a fellow New Englander, I would say these schools are held in very high esteem but, come on, they come a half-tier below HYP.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 am

stillwater wrote:

As a fellow New Englander, I would say these schools are held in very high esteem but, come on, they come a half-tier below HYP.

Credited, also a New Englander. Also, real lay people don't hear prestige when they hear Amherst they hear UMass Amherst. Most don't even know what a Williams College is. Among the educated in New England they're prestigious but I don't think anyone is out there going "oh, that's just like going to Harvard".

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 am

TLS_noobie wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:

fixed... ;)

I'm guessing Ulrichs doesn't sell it anymore (it was around 6 or so years ago) but you used to be able to buy a T-Shirt that says Harvard: The Michigan of the East ...and the "legend" goes that it is in response to Harvard calling Michigan the Harvard of the West. (not sure if the tshirt still exists though)

Me wants.

Also, it apparently stems from JFK himself calling Harvard "The Michigan of the East" during some address on the union steps.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:21 am

JoeMo wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:

Me wants.

Also, it apparently stems from JFK himself calling Harvard "The Michigan of the East" during some address on the union steps.

--ImageRemoved--

Maybe you can still find it somewhere on campus. Though, it saddens me that Michigan Book & Supply is no longer with us :(

I didn't know that was where it came from, it was one of those things that you ask the store clerk about and the story changes with the person you ask haha.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am

JoeMo wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Credited, also a New Englander. Also, real lay people don't hear prestige when they hear Amherst they hear UMass Amherst. Most don't even know what a Williams College is. Among the educated in New England they're prestigious but I don't think anyone is out there going "oh, that's just like going to Harvard".

I'm about to type far too many words about this.

This really has to do with two kinds of lay prestige. Working class Northeasterners might think Notre Dame is a great school, and working class Southerners will think that their state school is practically Harvard. Harvard still has the most lay prestige with these sorts of people because it's such a conspicuous brand. They'll no Harvard, but not even necessarily Columbia or Dartmouth. It's like how people who don't know what J Press is still know what Polo is.

Then there's lay prestige in terms of educated non-lawyers. They'll know more broadly what the good schools are--they know about Williams, all the ivies, Chicago, etc--but they don't know the specifics of the top fourteen and tend to judge law schools by their opinion of the school in general. These are the sorts of people who would be surprised that NYU is a better law school than Georgetown, say.

I think a lot of the circular conversations that people have about lay prestige have to do with the fact that lay prestige varies a lot depending on what subset of people you're talking about.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am

TLS_noobie wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote:

Me wants.

Maybe you can still find it somewhere on campus. Though, it saddens me that Michigan Book & Supply is no longer with us :(

I didn't know that was where it came from, it was one of those things that you ask the store clerk about and the story changes with the person you ask haha.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?she ... ory.speech

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

Nobody wrote:I'm about to type far too many words about this.

This really has to do with two kinds of lay prestige. Working class Northeasterners might think Notre Dame is a great school, and working class Southerners will think that their state school is practically Harvard. Harvard still has the most lay prestige with these sorts of people because it's such a conspicuous brand. They'll no Harvard, but not even necessarily Columbia or Dartmouth. It's like how people who don't know what J Press is still know what Polo is.

Then there's lay prestige in terms of educated non-lawyers. They'll know more broadly what the good schools are--they know about Williams, all the ivies, Chicago, etc--but they don't know the specifics of the top fourteen and tend to judge law schools by their opinion of the school in general. These are the sorts of people who would be surprised that NYU is a better law school than Georgetown, say.

I think a lot of the circular conversations that people have about lay prestige have to do with the fact that lay prestige varies a lot depending on what subset of people you're talking about.

So credited... so I guess this goes back to the OP and what are you specifically talking about? Working class, educated non-lawyers, or lawyers?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

Nobody wrote:This really has to do with two kinds of lay prestige. Working class Northeasterners might think Notre Dame is a great school, and working class Southerners will think that their state school is practically Harvard.

LOL. my wife's (Florida) parents were completely shocked when I told them that UF was ranked around the 50s and unlikely to get someone a job outside of Florida. They thought it was in the same league as Michigan, UVA, et cetera.

I think ND has more prestige amongst Catholics. I have Catholic extended family in NY who seem to think ND is second only to the Ivies, but the non-Catholics I know seem to think otherwise.

And has anyone outside of certain parts of New England even heard of Williams?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

LOL

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Nobody wrote:This really has to do with two kinds of lay prestige. Working class Northeasterners might think Notre Dame is a great school, and working class Southerners will think that their state school is practically Harvard.

LOL. my wife's (Florida) parents were completely shocked when I told them that UF was ranked around the 50s and unlikely to get someone a job outside of Florida. They thought it was in the same league as Michigan, UVA, et cetera.

I think ND has more prestige amongst Catholics. I have Catholic extended family in NY who seem to think ND is second only to the Ivies, but the non-Catholics I know seem to think otherwise.

I'll take issue with the last assertion. Williams is known throughout New England and the Northeast by anyone who knows a shred about higher education, which is not everybody. I made the point earlier that while held in high esteem, it certainly doesn't eclipse or stand with the Ivies in terms of reputation. Your assertion is overselling it the other way.

Napt

Postby Napt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am

wtf. This post is almost as bad as this thread.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 am

stillwater wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

I'll take issue with the last assertion. Williams is known throughout New England and the Northeast by anyone who knows a shred about higher education, which is not everybody. I made the point earlier that while held in high esteem, it certainly doesn't eclipse or stand with the Ivies in terms of reputation. Your assertion is overselling it the other way.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 am

Mike12188 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

You realize that Williams is on the New York border right? And as close to NYC as Boston? Otherwise I agree with the gist of what has been said. The liberal arts college is a decidedly Northeastern phenomenon.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

All prestige is moving to the midwest...OH-IO baby!

Muck Fichigan

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:06 pm

I feel like those top LACs are known in certain crowds outside of New England, but definitely by far fewer people.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Nobody wrote:I feel like those top LACs are known in certain crowds outside of New England, but definitely by far fewer people.

Agreed. Smaller audience and less carry than any of the schools they were initially compared to ITT.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:10 pm

stillwater wrote:
Nobody wrote:I feel like those top LACs are known in certain crowds outside of New England, but definitely by far fewer people.

Agreed. Smaller audience and less carry than any of the schools they were initially compared to ITT.

But again, it goes back to who you're trying to impress. They definitely have snob appeal.

Napt

Postby Napt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Nobody wrote:
stillwater wrote:

But again, it goes back to who you're trying to impress. They definitely have snob appeal.

Ya, if you're into LAC alums, summering on Cape Cod and wearing pastels.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm surprised ND is so highly regarded in the east compared to the ivy league.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Napt wrote:
Nobody wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Ya, if you're into LAC alums, summering on Cape Cod and wearing pastels.

That isn't what people mean by prestige?

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 pm

I had to google both. This thread is stupid but I do enjoy when people argue about schools being "prestigious" that fall outside the widely known prestigious schools.

Edit: In terms of the William Patterson and UMass-Amherst prestige that is

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”