Future prestige poll Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

In 10 years what name will have more cache?

Harvard
90%
Stanford
10%

Total votes: 164

oregon000

New

Future prestige poll

Post by oregon000 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Academic question: It seems that there is a west coast shift going on in our country ( Silicon Valley etc.) Right now I feel that Harvard still is the preeminent name in education, but I am curious if people think that this will change within a decade. Will Stanford become the new big name or is Harvard so entrenched that it will always be the place to be?
Last edited by oregon000 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: Future prestige poll

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Harvard's lay prestige comes from a long history of tradition and elitism in the United States. That will not be changed in 10 years, nor will be changed in 25 years for that matter. In a sense, the success from Silicon Valley tech nerds is very new money-esque. It will take a very, very long time (if ever) for them to displace the relationship between Harvard and American aristocracy.

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:11 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Harvard's lay prestige comes from a long history of tradition and elitism in the United States. That will not be changed in 10 years, nor will be changed in 25 years for that matter. In a sense, the success from Silicon Valley tech nerds is very new money-esque. It will take a very, very long time (if ever) for them to displace the relationship between Harvard and American aristocracy.
+1, I think

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Stanford.

I've been saying this for years. It's not just the "West coast shift" and the better weather; Stanford has a strong edge in the exploding (scientific) fields.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

oregon000 wrote:Silicone Valley

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:16 pm

flcath wrote:Stanford.

I've been saying this for years. It's not just the "West coast shift" and the better weather; Stanford has a strong edge in the exploding (scientific) fields.
I get what you're saying, but the "prestige" associated with Harvard is its dominance in the American ruling class, namely Wall Street and government. The tech boom will take a very long time to displace those two as the preeminent field associated with prestige.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Lay prestige will always be Harvard

Just look at Oxford.

dooood

Bronze

Post by dooood » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Lay prestige will always be Harvard

Just look at Oxford.
Cambridge > Oxford

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Just look at Oxford.
Oxford can be taken to prove the opposite. Until the mid 20th century, it was easily the most famous and prestigious university in the world. Sometime in the mid 20th century, Harvard surpassed it - prestige moved West, with the people and the money (all it took was sole-superpower status, 500 years, and $32 billion).

That said, I don't know if Stanford will ever surpass Harvard, but if it does, I'm guessing it will take at least 50-100 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

I get what you're saying, but the "prestige" associated with Harvard is its dominance in the American ruling class, namely Wall Street and government. The tech boom will take a very long time to displace those two as the preeminent field associated with prestige.
Maybe, but just look at the gap it's closed since its founding in 1891. It's already rivaled only by HY. It draws the top students from Cali, and has the infrastructure in place to dominate in the sciences going forward. There's NO question it will be the best Univ., the only real question is lay prestige.

And lets get real: lay prestige is created by Hollywood (Notre Dame at #4? Really?). Right now, casting a movie at Harvard or making a character a Harvard grad is an easy way of signaling intelligence/prestige/wealth. I think that'll change, given that Hollywood writers live in an area that views Stanford as king.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 pm

^ Actually, I think its entirely arguable that Berkeley is better when taken as a whole university. Now whether that endures after these budget cuts ....

oregon000

New

Post by oregon000 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:50 pm

flcath wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Maybe, but just look at the gap it's closed since its founding in 1891. It's already rivaled only by HY. It draws the top students from Cali, and has the infrastructure in place to dominate in the sciences going forward. There's NO question it will be the best Univ., the only real question is lay prestige.

And lets get real: lay prestige is created by Hollywood (Notre Dame at #4? Really?). Right now, casting a movie at Harvard or making a character a Harvard grad is an easy way of signaling intelligence/prestige/wealth. I think that'll change, given that Hollywood writers live in an area that views Stanford as king.
watching the social network is what got me thinking about all this...

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 pm

dooood wrote:

Just look at Oxford.
Cambridge > Oxford
not in lay prestige

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm

flcath wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

I'm from PA / working class town. I'd be willing to bet 90% of residents here would put ND ahead of Standford tbh

Response met from individuals when I stated ND law was my 4th or 5th option while I was applying was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: / confusion on why I'd have them below other schools

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:59 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
flcath wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

I'm from PA / working class town. I'd be willing to bet 90% of residents here would put ND ahead of Standford tbh

Response met from individuals when I stated ND law was my 4th or 5th option while I was applying was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: / confusion on why I'd have them below other schools
+1 same here (although, I'm not from PA, but from a similar situation nonetheless)

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
flcath wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Yeah, "Standford" really isn't prestigious at all. Who the hell are they, anyway?

oregon000

New

Post by oregon000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

Amongst the educated though I feel that H/S are currently on equal footing. Is this just because I am a west coaster?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 am

oregon000 wrote:Amongst the educated though I feel that H/S are currently on equal footing. Is this just because I am a west coaster?
Yup

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 am

stillwater wrote:
oregon000 wrote:Amongst the educated though I feel that H/S are currently on equal footing. Is this just because I am a west coaster?
Yup
Yea, it's not at all on the east

Among the educated it doesn't compare to hyp

Among the non-educated it's
Hyp, nd, rest of ivy, case western, couple other schools

Stanford? O yea that's where that luck guys from, good qb

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Yup
Yea, it's not at all on the east

Among the educated it doesn't compare to hyp

Among the non-educated it's
Hyp, nd, rest of ivy, case western, couple other schools

Stanford? O yea that's where that luck guys from, good qb
Well, I would qualify the above. That maybe true for the Midwest, but the coastal East does not hold ND in such high esteem.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

I guess I'd state that's how it is in Pittsburgh... which isn't Midwest or East coast lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:55 am

Stanford will still continue to be known as "The Harvard of the West" for time to come which will then does not translate to it being better having more lay prestige than Harvard or Harvard would be the "Stanford of the East".

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

JoeMo wrote:Stanford Michigan will still continue to be known as "The Harvard of the West" for time to come which will then does not translate to it being better having more lay prestige than Harvard or Harvard would be the "Stanford Michigan of the East".
fixed... ;)

thelawguy

New

Post by thelawguy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

As a prototypical New Englander I have argue that many people would put Williams or Amherst ahead of or at least equal to HYSP. For the size of theses schools they simply dominate Wall Street.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 am

thelawguy wrote:As a prototypical New Englander I have argue that many people would put Williams or Amherst ahead of or at least equal to HYSP. For the size of theses schools they simply dominate Wall Street.
Never heard of it...

<----not a New Englander though
Last edited by TLS_noobie on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”