The Wrong People Are Applying To Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoeMo

Re: The Wrong People Are Applying To Law School?

Postby JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
PARTY wrote:
SPE155 wrote:This makes it apparent to me that they did poorly on the LSAT (which is why they are at an unranked TTTT), and have still done little to know research.

how much research have you done?

DEAD

he prob just typed without proof reading it. this is a forum, not a law journal. relax with the typos. i'm not sure if it's snobbery or just profound dorkiness.

Eh, I simply thought that the response was funny. I don't really care that the OP made a typo. Thinking something is funny doesn't mean you agree with what was being conveyed.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 pm

ITT: the wrong people applying to law school.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I see it a lot.

A bunch of people I've tutored who broke a 160 decided against law school. I've never oce had a 150-160 student not matriculate or retake (granted, many had a 145 after a kapla course and thought their 155 was a godsend). Likely, my tutoring will cause them to lose 200k in non-refundable high interest loans. However, my initial goal was to make a difference in peoples' lives. As I never specified a positive difference, I satisfied my goals.

marlo45

Postby marlo45 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:I see it a lot.

A bunch of people I've tutored who broke a 160 decided against law school. I've never oce had a 150-160 student not matriculate or retake (granted, many had a 145 after a kapla course and thought their 155 was a godsend). Likely, my tutoring will cause them to lose 200k in non-refundable high interest loans. However, my initial goal was to make a difference in peoples' lives. As I never specified a positive difference, I satisfied my goals.

:mrgreen: Reminds me of the subtle difference between lying and bullshit... funny!

Harry Callahan

Postby Harry Callahan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:Did you take the GMAT for shits and giggles? No doubt people weigh their options after taking the test, but 170+ scorers generally can get almost any school they wanted. The law school app process is also more predictable than the MBA process, so it's weird they don't even apply.

I took the LSAT for shits and giggles. I got (exactly) 170, completely cold (zero prep), but it didn't get me into Columbia, which was the only school I applied to. More precisely I got waitlisted and then withdrew my application since I had a job by that time. Perhaps they saw me for the fake that I was. I'll admit I wasn't really interested in actually going to law school.

Still, I'd say 175 is the cutoff point where you can start to count on admission into the elite schools. And the LSAC data confirm that applications from 175+ scorers didn't drop by as much.

AffordablePrep wrote:Most 170 plus scorers studied their asses off.

I did study my ass off, but not in anything remotely related to law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”