TLS is a mindless echo chamber Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Right about the "ties?"

Yes-"ties" are an accurate, albeit recent discovery by TLS.
40%
No-"ties," along with 40% of everything on this site = mindless bullshit
24%
I don't know, but "ties" may be overstated
16%
I for realz don't know
20%

Total votes: 161

MTBike

Bronze

Re: TLS is a mindless echo chamber

Post by MTBike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Samara wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I agree too. Seriously.

Point is though that while Helena MT employers are going to be more concerned with ties than anywhere else, U OF MONTANA GRADS HAVE "TIES" TO MONTANA.

Are you guys trying?
Why do you keep bringing up Montana? That is such an idiosyncratic example. I have literally never seen anyone on here post about UMontana.

Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.
I actually live in Montana lol DON'T BE HATIN BRO!!!! The Mountain biking is fuckin naaaaaaaasty up hurrrrrr

Also... definitely the most credited response.
Last edited by MTBike on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Samara wrote: Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.
TITMFCR

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
And you conceded it was a "tie-breaker," then stated that most of legal hiring comes down to tie-breakers.
So why not stack the deck in your favor from the beginning?

No one in here is saying it's the most important factor. Just something that CAN BE really important.
Ok. So then why is it the first thing talked about in all the State U vs. State U polls. It seems like it is the most important factor.

I voted for "overstated." The whole convo is " are ties overstated by TLS. "

It sounds like you would actually agree with me that they are overstated.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:
tfleming09 wrote: It's not about actually wanting to work in the region, it's about your ability to convince employers that you do.
This.
Which is accomplished, 100% of the time, by going to State U, summering there both summers, and then applying for jobs there.

Did I just win?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 pm

[quote="Lord Randolph McDuff"][quote="Lord Randolph McDuff"][quote="rad lulz"][quote="tfleming09"]
It's not about actually wanting to work in the region, it's about your ability to convince employers that you do. [/quote]
This.[/quote]

Which is accomplished, 100% of the time, by going to State U, summering there both summers, and then applying for jobs there.

Did I just win?[/quote][/quote]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 pm

McDuff, I've always thought you were a pretty cool dude and poster. But..

Pretty much of the interbuttz disagrees with you. I'm sorry. Let's all just get along.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Nelson wrote:
Samara wrote: Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.
TITMFCR
I agree in this case, but lets not assume everyone who gets into KU and OU is a complete idiot.

Ties are not the first thing to shout at KU vs. OU dooder if he hasn't outed himself as having zero plan.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
And you conceded it was a "tie-breaker," then stated that most of legal hiring comes down to tie-breakers.
So why not stack the deck in your favor from the beginning?

No one in here is saying it's the most important factor. Just something that CAN BE really important.
Ok. So then why is it the first thing talked about in all the State U vs. State U polls. It seems like it is the most important factor.

I voted for "overstated." The whole convo is " are ties overstated by TLS. "

It sounds like you would actually agree with me that they are overstated.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:McDuff, I've always thought you were a pretty cool dude and poster. But..

Pretty much of the interbuttz disagrees with you. I'm sorry. Let's all just get along.
I still like you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:16 pm

At WUSTL ASD, every student that I asked about legal hiring talked about two things: 1) that you'd need to be top third to have a shot at biglaw and 2) how important ties are to legal hiring and that going to WUSTL wasn't enough. Maybe WUSTL emphasize ties more because it places into a lot of secondary markets, but I have yet to see any evidence that it's significantly different elsewhere.

In a thread about the Portland market, someone linked to the Portland Bar Association page that listed new associates in Portland. Literally every person went to Lewis & Clark, Oregon State, or a T14. There may have been one person from UWashington. Ties are important. Yes, going to Lewis & Clark is a way to create ties for Portland, but in today's competitive market, it may not be enough.
Last edited by Samara on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Samara wrote:Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.

You win this thread.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:McDuff, I've always thought you were a pretty cool dude and poster. But..

But actually the majority of people on the poll have not agreed with you...

It is pretty split-- again, T-25 people who dominate this thread and really don't know a lot about Tech/CU/ U of State and how that hiring works are frequent posters and so it appears one-sided, but it isn't. Finally, for the 4 millionth time, this was a Manhattan to Ark hypo, talking about if ties were overstated when considering state schools. Rad admitted they were tie-breakers. First thing anyone hears is "ooh where are you "ties"?" This should be a far lesser consideration over "where do you want to live," which was the groupthink three years ago.

"ties" in this context are overstated, bromulus.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Wow, +1s from both rad and romo. I have a bright TLS future ahead of me. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
tfleming09 wrote: It's not about actually wanting to work in the region, it's about your ability to convince employers that you do.
This.

Did I just win?
No you didn't, because what is at issue is getting something your 2L summer. If you don't find something in the region your 1L summer, that's a huge red flag. If you got a 1L biglaw SA, then probably is most likely solved but this won't happen for most people. If you do what everyone else is doing (judicial internship/PI/RA/small firms/summer classes) than that's not a very compelling story by itself about why you want to stay in the area. I know someone at UT with good grades, who was in Texas in 1L summer, and whiffed on 2L OCI. Why? Biggest reason is that this person didn't have many Texas ties and that made firms paranoid.

You are fighting a losing battle. Just stop.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Samara wrote:At WUSTL ASD, every student that I asked about legal hiring talked about two things: 1) that you'd need to be top third to have a shot at biglaw and 2) how important ties are to legal hiring and that going to WUSTL wasn't enough. Maybe WUSTL emphasize ties more because it places into a lot of secondary markets, but I have yet to see any evidence that it's significantly different elsewhere.

In a thread about the Portland market, someone linked to the Portland Bar Association page that listed new associates in Portland. Literally every person went to Lewis & Clark, Oregon State, or a T14. There may have been one person from UWashington. Ties are important. Yes, going to Lewis & Clark is a way to create ties for Portland, but in today's competitive market, it may not be enough.
You are the king of random vagaries. Ok, so how many of those Oregon (don't think OSU has a law school) and L&C bros were in-state to begin with? No idea huh. Cool post.

But seriously thanks for agreeing with me that going to L&C is a way to create ties to Portland..

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I like you too, big guy.

But c'mon man, this poll tells us nothing. There isn't even a poll option that I agree with, and I'm sure others feel the same way. So of course the poll is hella skewed.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

It is pretty split-- again, T-25 people who dominate this thread and really don't know a lot about Tech/CU/ U of State and how that hiring works are frequent posters and so it appears one-sided, but it isn't. Finally, for the 4 millionth time, this was a Manhattan to Ark hypo, talking about if ties were overstated when considering state schools. Rad admitted they were tie-breakers. First thing anyone hears is "ooh where are you "ties"?" This should be a far lesser consideration over "where do you want to live," which was the groupthink three years ago.

The way you are reading the poll is bizarre. Only 19 people agree with you. 68 people said they're not overstated or had the good sense to admit that they don't know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
No you didn't, because what is at issue is getting something your 2L summer. If you don't find something in the region your 1L summer, that's a huge red flag. If you got a 1L biglaw SA, then probably is most likely solved but this won't happen for most people. If you do what everyone else is doing (judicial internship/PI/RA/small firms/summer classes) than that's not a very compelling story by itself about why you want to stay in the area. I know someone at UT with good grades, who was in Texas in 1L summer, and whiffed on 2L OCI. Why? Biggest reason is that this person didn't have many Texas ties and that made firms paranoid.

You are fighting a losing battle. Just stop.
Holy crap dude. I have said a million times that people at schools like UT have to worry about this.

The entire point of the thread is geared towards, you know, the majority of law students. UT kids have options. Not from TX and going to UT? Hmm. Suspicious.

Not from Idaho and going to U of Idaho? Welcome to Idaho!! We've been here for years and love it!

Missing the point of the thread 100 times is still missing the point of the thread?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Samara wrote:At WUSTL ASD, every student that I asked about legal hiring talked about two things: 1) that you'd need to be top third to have a shot at biglaw and 2) how important ties are to legal hiring and that going to WUSTL wasn't enough. Maybe WUSTL emphasize ties more because it places into a lot of secondary markets, but I have yet to see any evidence that it's significantly different elsewhere.

You are the king of random vagaries. Ok, so how many of those Oregon (don't think OSU has a law school) and L&C bros were in-state to begin with? No idea huh. Cool post.

But seriously thanks for agreeing with me that going to L&C is a way to create ties to Portland..
Oops, meant Orgeon.

No one disagreed with you that attending a school in a state you want to work in is a way to create a tie, but it's a weak tie. You're arguing situations that don't exist. We are addressing questions that people post on here every day.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

The way you are reading the poll is bizarre. Only 19 people agree with you. 68 people said they're not overstated or had the good sense to admit that they don't know.
Read the poll again.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Samara wrote:Wow, +1s from both rad and romo. I have a bright TLS future ahead of me. :P

Would you say that you like their approval? Would you go so far as to subconsciously agree with what they say? Would you then repeat it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

tfleming09 wrote:

The entire point of the thread is geared towards, you know, the majority of law students. UT kids have options. Not from TX and going to UT? Hmm. Suspicious.

Not from Idaho and going to U of Idaho? Welcome to Idaho!! We've been here for years and love it!
Doesn't it seem more suspicious that someone would relocate to attend some random State U versus a top ranked school?

I mean I get your point about kid A potentially has options outside the region where kid B does not, but the above referenced point makes zero sense.
Your concluding doesn't follow your own premise. If my point makes sense, then the above point at least makes some sense, ya dig?

People would move to Idaho to attend the law school so they could live there.

Big law or bust mentality failure.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm

I think if this poll was rewritten and was limited to 2Ls and 3Ls it would be overwhelmingly in favor of what posters like rad lulz, tfleming, Samara, Ludo, Richie, Desert Fox, f0bolous, bk, flcath, rayiner, TaipeiMort, Teoeo, and countless other 2Ls and 3L regulars have said. I have a feeling there would not be too many 2Ls and 3Ls agreeing with mrwarre, tedalbany, pdaddy, McDuff, Gail, MTBike and bearsgrl have said on the matter (both ITT and elsewhere).

The company you keep... :lol:

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Read the poll again.
Huh? Here are the results as of right now:

Yes-"ties" are an accurate, albeit recent discovery by TLS. [ 37 ]
No-"ties," along with 40% of everything on this site = mindless bullshit [ 19 ]
I don't know, but "ties" may be overstated [ 11 ]
I for realz don't know [ 21 ]

Yes, ties are important + I don't know + I don't know. 37 + 11 +21 = 68
No, ties are not important = 19

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm