TLS is a mindless echo chamber

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Right about the "ties?"

Yes-"ties" are an accurate, albeit recent discovery by TLS.
40%
No-"ties," along with 40% of everything on this site = mindless bullshit
24%
I don't know, but "ties" may be overstated
16%
I for realz don't know
20%

Total votes: 161

rad lulz

Re: TLS is a mindless echo chamber

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

flem wrote:It's not about actually wanting to work in the region, it's about your ability to convince employers that you do.

This.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Emma. wrote:From my own (admittedly anectodal, unscientific) experience:

I bid on a firm at a diversity event and didn't get an interview even though I had a very strong transcript/resume and had met and had a great conversation with the hiring partner. Ended up emailing the partner to see if I could get a screening interview. She told me my resume had probably gone straight in the trash because it didn't indicate ties to the market, and probably no one even looked at my transcript.

Ended up getting screener, callback, etc., but only because I had met that partner and took the time to email her. Almost every interview I had in this market asked a LOT of questions about ties and it clearly is a very live issue in that market.

I wish the OP would come back and re-clarify that he/she wasn't talking about big law hiring. The Q is literally completely different. Haha I'm starting to lose it.

Please explain what it is clearly different. I'm pretty sure I already explained a page or two ago that your thing about small firms being less concerned with them is completely $*#@ing wrong.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

To the "ties crew" dudebros... What would you consider the "tie" that holds the most weight?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I bid on a firm at a diversity event and didn't get an interview even though I had a very strong transcript/resume and had met and had a great conversation with the hiring partner. Ended up emailing the partner to see if I could get a screening interview. She told me my resume had probably gone straight in the trash because it didn't indicate ties to the market, and probably no one even looked at my transcript.

Ended up getting screener, callback, etc., but only because I had met that partner and took the time to email her. Almost every interview I had in this market asked a LOT of questions about ties and it clearly is a very live issue in that market.

I wish the OP would come back and re-clarify that he/she wasn't talking about big law hiring. The Q is literally completely different. Haha I'm starting to lose it.

Please explain what it is clearly different. I'm pretty sure I already explained a page or two ago that your thing about small firms being less concerned with them is completely $*#@ing wrong.

I actually wasn't gonna touch this one, but now that we have gone here, I agree.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

MTBike wrote:To the "ties crew" dudebros... What would you consider the "tie" that holds the most weight?

Growing up in an area.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 pm

romothesavior wrote: Once you get into the CB stage, it becomes less about grades and more about other factors.

God damn't Romo. No one is talking about big law hiring. No one at State U gets their job through OCI. OCI peps have other options, so employers definitely want to know about "ties" to the region so they won't get burned.

Are you trolling me now?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I actually wasn't gonna touch this one, but now that we have gone here, I agree.

I agree too. Seriously.

Point is though that while Helena MT employers are going to be more concerned with ties than anywhere else, U OF MONTANA GRADS HAVE "TIES" TO MONTANA.

Are you guys trying?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm

romothesavior wrote: Once you get into the CB stage, it becomes less about grades and more about other factors.

God damn't Romo. No one is talking about big law hiring. No one at State U gets their job through OCI. OCI peps have other options, so employers definitely want to know about "ties" to the region so they won't get burned.

Are you trolling me now?

You think large firms are the only ones that have 2 rounds of interviewing?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:U OF MONTANA GRADS HAVE "TIES" TO MONTANA.

IT'S NOT LIKE A CHECKBOX

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm

And your a 2L! You went through OCI which has zero impact on the actual discussion that the OP started!

KEWL!

I went through a shitload of interviews where I was grilled about my ties in every single one. Congrats if that didn't happen to you. The takeaway should be that maybe you got lucky or maybe Colorado is weird, not that you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Last edited by Ludo! on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote:To the "ties crew" dudebros... What would you consider the "tie" that holds the most weight?

Growing up in an area.

Is this because that tie itself creates other ties? I guess I'm confused why growing up in an area would be a stronger tie than if, hypothetically, while in law school you started a family and can clearly demonstrate that you would like to live and keep your family in an area.

Seems like #2 would be a stronger indicator of future intentions... wouldn't you agree?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 pm

flem wrote:

If I had to take wild stabs in the dark:

1) Being from that place
2) Going to undergrad in that place, or having worked in that place for a while
3) Having parents/wife there

Combo them to maximize biglawl offers.

Fixed.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
flem wrote:It's not about actually wanting to work in the region, it's about your ability to convince employers that you do.

This.

Which is accomplished, 100% of the time, by going to State U, summering there both summers, and then applying for jobs there.

Did I just win?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

MTBike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Growing up in an area.

Is this because that tie itself creates other ties? I guess I'm confused why growing up in an area would be a stronger tie than if, hypothetically, while in law school you started a family and can clearly demonstrate that you would like to live and keep your family in an area.

Seems like #2 would be a stronger indicator of future intentions... wouldn't you agree?

That's a pretty good one too actually.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

I like how McDuff has become the spokesman for the OP.

Also, rad just scooped me. Callbacks are used from firms from like 5-500 attorneys. But whatever, yo.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:

This.

Which is accomplished, 100% of the time, by going to State U, summering there both summers, and then applying for jobs there.

Did I just win?

No, for the reasons me, romo, f0b have been mentioning for pages and pages.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

What rational person relocates across the country for a much less than guaranteed shot at a salary in the 40-50k range? You're strawmanning the intentions of the vast majority of people who start "Denver vs. Case Western vs. Miami vs. UNLV" threads, most have whom have no clue what they're doing. Asking them what their ties are is a way of figuring out if they have a rational plan.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:

IT'S NOT LIKE A CHECKBOX

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FOR U MONTANA GRADS TO CONVINCE EMPLOYERS THEY WANT TO WORK THERE!!!

AHHHHHH

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Having a close relative who is the hiring partner for a firm in that market
Having a parent who is a senator for that state

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:

IT'S NOT LIKE A CHECKBOX

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FOR U MONTANA GRADS TO CONVINCE EMPLOYERS THEY WANT TO WORK THERE!!!

AHHHHHH

I responded to this like 4 times already.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I agree too. Seriously.

Point is though that while Helena MT employers are going to be more concerned with ties than anywhere else, U OF MONTANA GRADS HAVE "TIES" TO MONTANA.

Are you guys trying?

Why do you keep bringing up Montana? That is such an idiosyncratic example. I have literally never seen anyone on here post about UMontana.

Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Nelson wrote:What rational person relocates across the country for a much less than guaranteed shot at a salary in the 40-50k range?

Ahh the precious TLS moments. They go so quickly...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 pm

flem wrote:1) Blanket all law schools, which I chose by throwing darts with a blindfold on
2) ???
3) Profit

Samara wrote:Ties are brought up in threads where people are like "ZOMG I don't know which school to pick. I got into Florida State, UC-Hastings, and Missouri. Which do I choose?! I don't care where I work." If that person has ties to Florida, that person would be better off going to FSU. If that person wants to work in Missouri for some specific reason, they should go to Mizzou. That's why ties are talked about. If it seems like it's talked about a lot, it's because there are a lot of people who blanket T1 schools and act like they are all equal options when they aren't.

Credited.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

IT'S NOT LIKE A CHECKBOX

AHHHHHH

I responded to this like 4 times already.

And you conceded it was a "tie-breaker," then stated that most of legal hiring comes down to tie-breakers.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Nelson wrote:What rational person relocates across the country for a much less than guaranteed shot at a salary in the 40-50k range? You're strawmanning the intentions of the vast majority of people who start "Denver vs. Case Western vs. Miami vs. UNLV" threads, most have whom have no clue what they're doing. Asking them what their ties are is a way of figuring out if they have a rational plan.

Ahh the precious TLS moments. They go so quickly...

Did you read the rest of the post?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”