LSADS GPA conversion for an NC class! they do what they want

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paratactical

Re: LSADS GPA conversion for an NC class! they do what they want

Postby paratactical » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
PARTY wrote:Falcon2012 for worst arguer? anyone?

Some of my posts are not even arguments, I am just making some counterarguments sound ridiculous. Just like the one about me not passing the class and complaining. It is very obvious that if I had passed the class I would not have this conversation. This is no part of the argument. So stop trying to accuse me for not passing the class, I know that already. What you don't know is some things that were happening in my life while I was taking that class, but those things are irrelevant.

Is English a second language for you?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am

Speaking of inequality, I don't like the fact that some schools have A+s

Postby 2014 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Get work experience and a 175+ and pray for Northwestern.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Falcon2012 wrote:
PARTY wrote:Falcon2012 for worst arguer? anyone?

Some of my posts are not even arguments, I am just making some counterarguments sound ridiculous. Just like the one about me not passing the class and complaining. It is very obvious that if I had passed the class I would not have this conversation. This is no part of the argument. So stop trying to accuse me for not passing the class, I know that already. What you don't know is some things that were happening in my life while I was taking that class, but those things are irrelevant.

If you did have some serious life things going on at that point in time, talk to your setudent services office. They might be able to let you change that semester to "withdraws."

I have a friend with cystic fibrosis who had to do this for one of her semesters because she had to go to the emergency room two weeks before finals and ended up being hospitalized for a month. She went back next semester and the student services folks were very understanding and let her count all of those Cs and Fs as Ws instead.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Falcon2012 wrote:You see where I am going with this?

I see that you're mad.

What was the reason for the NC grades?

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:24 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:Speaking of inequality, I don't like the fact that some schools have A+s

+1

Imma sue.

there oughtta be a law

howlery

Postby howlery » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Aren't you required to defer to LSAC's policies? Since its a private company and going to law school is optional, they're allowed to get away with a lot. It isn't always fair, as in your case (where you failed a class and are upset that you are getting a failing grade :lol: ) and with As/A+s (many people have absolutely no access to that 4.33 despite how well they do), but you're bound to them. If you find law schools that don't partner with LSAC there might be more room for complaint, but as it stands there aren't any schools that I know of who don't. You also have to pay for CAS and take the LSAT, which LSAC administers. Its just the way law school admissions in this country (and Canada?) works.

Also, re: the P/F grade: when you elected to take the class as pass/fail didn't you forfeit any access to a GPA boost or letter grade (besides an NC for Fail, which is equivalent to an F)?

atlas1886

Postby atlas1886 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 am

I don't want to hijack the thread but this is kind of relevant:

I audited a 1 hour soccer class. It shows 1 credit hour, 0 grade points, with a grade of NC. On the back of my transcript it says that NC stands for noncredit or audit.

Will LSAC understand that this is not a class that I took for a grade?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 am

atlas1886 wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread but this is kind of relevant:

I audited a 1 hour soccer class. It shows 1 credit hour, 0 grade points, with a grade of NC. On the back of my transcript it says that NC stands for noncredit or audit.

Will LSAC understand that this is not a class that I took for a grade?

probably not

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:Speaking of inequality, I don't like the fact that some schools have A+s

U MAD?

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 am

howlery wrote:Aren't you required to defer to LSAC's policies? Since its a private company and going to law school is optional, they're allowed to get away with a lot. It isn't always fair, as in your case (where you failed a class and are upset that you are getting a failing grade :lol: ) and with As/A+s (many people have absolutely no access to that 4.33 despite how well they do), but you're bound to them. If you find law schools that don't partner with LSAC there might be more room for complaint, but as it stands there aren't any schools that I know of who don't. You also have to pay for CAS and take the LSAT, which LSAC administers. Its just the way law school admissions in this country (and Canada?) works.

Also, re: the P/F grade: when you elected to take the class as pass/fail didn't you forfeit any access to a GPA boost or letter grade (besides an NC for Fail, which is equivalent to an F)?

Don't you think that A/A+ is another loophole that needs to be addressed? Just because something similar that is wrong exists it does not mean it justifies another similar problem. If people would not question rules and the laws we would not be where we are right now. Any rule and any law is made for the benefit of the society, keep that in your mind. If something does not work it needs to be changed. Slavery was a legal and written into the constitution not very long ago and you are telling me that OOOOO!! this is LSAC, you don't mess with LSAC. That is so pathetic.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 am

Falcon2012 wrote:
howlery wrote:Aren't you required to defer to LSAC's policies? Since its a private company and going to law school is optional, they're allowed to get away with a lot. It isn't always fair, as in your case (where you failed a class and are upset that you are getting a failing grade :lol: ) and with As/A+s (many people have absolutely no access to that 4.33 despite how well they do), but you're bound to them. If you find law schools that don't partner with LSAC there might be more room for complaint, but as it stands there aren't any schools that I know of who don't. You also have to pay for CAS and take the LSAT, which LSAC administers. Its just the way law school admissions in this country (and Canada?) works.

Don't you think that A/A+ is another loophole that needs to be addressed? Just because something similar that is wrong exists it does not mean it justifies another similar problem. If people would not question rules and the laws we would not be where we are right now. Any rule and any law is made for the benefit of the society, keep that in your mind. If something does not work it needs to be changed. Slavery was a legal and written into the constitution not very long ago and you are telling me that OOOOO!! this is LSAC, you don't mess with LSAC. That is so pathetic.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you know philosopher king?

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

It can be unfair, sure. You have to remember that changing rules and fighting for equality and whatnot in this situation entails telling a private company how to do business. If they were engaging in predatory lending or something you might be able to justify some sort of intervention, but they aren't. These are their rules.

You don't have to go to law schools that partner with LSAC (or any law school for that matter).

You don't have to fail classes (though if you do, expect to receive a failing grade).

You don't have to go to a university that does not provide A+s.

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

howlery wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

It can be unfair, sure. You have to remember that changing rules and fighting for equality and whatnot in this situation entails telling a private company how to do business. If they were engaging in predatory lending or something you might be able to justify some sort of intervention, but they aren't. These are their rules.

You don't have to go to law schools that partner with LSAC (or any law school for that matter).

You don't have to fail classes (though if you do, expect to receive a failing grade).

You don't have to go to a university that does not provide A+s.

Don't we intervene into private businesses? So many examples, come on, the securities and exchange commission, FINRA....

We do not allow monopoly, why? Because monopolist charge higher prices and create a shortage of goods, so you are saying that we should let them do whatever they want because they are private?

You want to talk about fairness and equality. Well there has to be a perfect competition in order for fairness and equality to take place on its own without intervention. In this case LSAC is the sole monopolist, there is no perfect competition.

Falcon2012

Postby Falcon2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:

If you still don't know what I am talking about ask someone to help you read it again.

What about philosopher kings?

aekea

Postby aekea » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Falcon2012 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:Don't you think that A/A+ is another loophole that needs to be addressed? Just because something similar that is wrong exists it does not mean it justifies another similar problem. If people would not question rules and the laws we would not be where we are right now. Any rule and any law is made for the benefit of the society, keep that in your mind. If something does not work it needs to be changed. Slavery was a legal and written into the constitution not very long ago and you are telling me that OOOOO!! this is LSAC, you don't mess with LSAC. That is so pathetic.

If you still don't know what I am talking about ask someone to help you read it again.

Why are you talking about laws though? This isn't a law in question. You're frustrated with the way a private company evaluates GPAs of prospective law students. It just so happens, that in this situation, the rules they've established do not work in your favor. That does not mean they're not working. Personally, I think it's a good thing that LSAC won't let you erase a class from your transcript that you've failed. I think that gives schools a much more honest picture of your undergraduate performance than giving you no credit for the class would. I don't think anyone here is arguing one should never reform laws, or rules or that a situation that is somehow unjust must be tolerated. They're just saying that this situation does not fit into the same category as slavery, for example, and that you should stop pretending like you've been horribly wronged. You didn't pass the class so LSAC gave you an F.

Philosopher king is another TLS user who was thinking of suing LSAC. He thought that because LSAC makes a note on reports for people who took the test with extra time - saying they took the test with extra time - that LSAC was in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm

aekea wrote:
Philosopher king is another TLS user who was thinking of suing LSAC. He thought that because LSAC makes a note on reports for people who took the test with extra time - saying they took the test with extra time - that LSAC was in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

haha, philosopher king alt is aware.

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am

aekea wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Falcon2012 wrote:Don't you think that A/A+ is another loophole that needs to be addressed? Just because something similar that is wrong exists it does not mean it justifies another similar problem. If people would not question rules and the laws we would not be where we are right now. Any rule and any law is made for the benefit of the society, keep that in your mind. If something does not work it needs to be changed. Slavery was a legal and written into the constitution not very long ago and you are telling me that OOOOO!! this is LSAC, you don't mess with LSAC. That is so pathetic.

Why are you talking about laws though? This isn't a law in question. You're frustrated with the way a private company evaluates GPAs of prospective law students. It just so happens, that in this situation, the rules they've established do not work in your favor. That does not mean they're not working. Personally, I think it's a good thing that LSAC won't let you erase a class from your transcript that you've failed. I think that gives schools a much more honest picture of your undergraduate performance than giving you no credit for the class would. I don't think anyone here is arguing one should never reform laws, or rules or that a situation that is somehow unjust must be tolerated. They're just saying that this situation does not fit into the same category as slavery, for example, and that you should stop pretending like you've been horribly wronged. You didn't pass the class so LSAC gave you an F.

This is what I was trying to say, thanks. There is a stark difference between LSAC's perceived unfairness and actual criminal/unjust behavior that would warrant government intervention.

I wonder if the OP felt the same about the CollegeBoard and the Common Application. Maybe this is the first time he's failed a class?

geauxsaints

Postby geauxsaints » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 am

The moral of the story is do not receive W's, NC's, and F's on your schoolwork! Tssk Tssk Tssk

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

geauxsaints wrote:The moral of the story is do not receive W's, NC's, and F's on your schoolwork! Tssk Tssk Tssk

I would say don't receive punitive, no credit marks on your transcript. W's are fine if they don't count against you.

(right??? :shock: )

Flame Retarded

Postby Flame Retarded » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

Don't forget that most schools let you appeal grades. I can't tell you that the odds are in your favor - but you do have some. Most schools have a general policy of requiring the appeal to be submitted within 5 years of the F/NC, and expect you to write a letter. What you should do is make up a really good story and a sad lie, since, we all know the truth never gets anyone anywhere. Talk to the dean, ingratiate yourself to him/her with your charm. Submit appeal, and wait. Hopefully they turn the NC/F into a W.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”