3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jhausie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 am

3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:43 pm

I've been accepted to William Mitchell, Lewis and Clark (OR), Loyola (LA), Marquette, and Northeastern. I want to practice in the Midwest, but also want to receive the best education possible from an institution I can personally be proud of (University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin, University of Iowa). I am waitlisted at the U of M and the jury is still out on Wisconsin and Iowa.

I'm 24 years old and have been out of school for a few years. Just returned from Afghanistan last June. Would need new letters of rec to reapply.

If I'm not accepted at any of these should I retake, or should I settle for one of the schools I've already been accepted to?
Last edited by Jhausie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby PARTY » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 pm

RETAKE.

by waiting a year, retaking, and hopefully doing better, you can not worry about being accepted to any of those schools, not have to settle, get scholarship money, and have more doors open in terms of higher ranked schools.

your gpa is good. don't waste it.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm

retake

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby chill » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 pm

retake, no brainer. decent GPA, low LSAT = retake and profit.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby splitsplat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Retake.
Get 168+
Get good/huge scholarship from WUSTL.
Profit.

Jhausie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Even if I'm already 24? I've already studied alot for the LSAT (took a class and everything), but I can definitely do more. If I apply again, where do I get my new letters of rec from. I've been out of school for a few years now and I've already used two of the profs I knew best.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby chill » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:20 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Jhausie wrote:Even if I'm already 24?


Your fifty-year-old self will will laugh at this thought. He will laugh in a good way if you study for another year and retake, which sets yourself up for greater financial freedom and better long term career prospects. He will laugh a depressing, lonely laugh if you go to a school that will accept a 155.
Last edited by Mal Reynolds on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:27 pm

24 is still plenty young. You will have a shitload of people a lot older than you in your 1L class. The average age for people starting law school is around 25.

hurldes
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby hurldes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes definitely retake. Especially if you've only taken a class and haven't done much independent self preparation. Buy the logic games and logical reasoning bibles and go through those if you haven't already. Then take 20-30 practice timed practice tests and go over them, figuring out your mistakes and correcting yourself.

If you have only done the 6-ish practice tests that Kaplan and similar LSAT prep companies typically make their students take, then you are performing at like 30% of your capacity. You can add 15 points to your LSAT score with a few months of hard study.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Dude I sat out a year and retook the LSAT and I'm 28. Yeah I'll be collecting Social Security in just 38 short years, but I think the wait was worth it.

Jhausie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 pm

I studied for 4 months, 4-5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I took a course but also did self study and a few independent practice tests. Probably 9-10 practice tests in all, including the course and self study.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby splitsplat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Jhausie wrote:I studied for 4 months, 4-5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I took a course but also did self study and a few independent practice tests. Probably 9-10 practice tests in all, including the course and self study.


I forget how many, but there are, I think, at least 20 more practice tests for you to take. It also depends on why you scored lower. If it was a problem of time management, doing full practice tests under real test conditions is going to be a big help. If it was just not understanding questions then you also still have more material to cover and learn, which should also provide a boost after you finish learning the question types etc.

Calchexas
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby Calchexas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Jhaus, you sound like you are a hard-worker who just has troubles with the LSAT. Your situation (good GPR+mediocre LSAT) reminds me of my own a year ago, so I would wholeheartedly recommend that you retake!

However, don't let this talk about scoring 15 more points scare the crap out of you. Even if you score 3-10 more points, that will improve your odds of getting into better schools by a wide margin.

Of course, do as well as you possibly can, and work as hard as you can on improving. Still, know that as few as five points make the difference between you being a tier one and tier three applicant, so wait that year, and get cracking on a self-motivated LSAT prep program.

Good luck.

P.S. Splitsplat's right: take more practice tests. I got my average score from upper 140s to mid 160s because of this.

User avatar
sinisterkid
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby sinisterkid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 pm

You just returned from Afghanistan -- I hope your PS is centered around your experiences in a combat zone. Ask your bn commander/company commander to write you a LoR. Mine wrote phenomenal LoRs for me.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby mattviphky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 am

You can reuse your LORs. Yes, retake. Even if you just get a few points higher, a 160 will put you in a much better situation, if not for schools, at least for scholarship money. I was in your situation last year...RETAKE! Here is my story (but with a much lower gpa)
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=149790

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:22 am

retake

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby hyakku » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Jhausie wrote:Even if I'm already 24?


Your fifty-year-old self will will laugh at this thought. He will laugh in a good way if you study for another year and retake, which sets yourself up for greater financial freedom and better long term career prospects. He will laugh a depressing, lonely laugh if you go to a school that will accept a 155.


Please this man. You've served our country, I'd hate to see you get fucked by debt later down the role because you settled. You can and will do better next year my man, and be looking at graduating with little to no debt. And really, what's better, being a 28 Year old working your ass off to pay off 200k in a likely mediocre job, or being a 29 Year old banking 60-70k a year because you've got no debt and no worries? Keep in mind Michigan generally seems to give extra attention, aid and financial help to veterans IIRC, so that's a T14 to definitely look into.

Thank you for risking your life as well in service for our nation, regardless of my position on the war, it's much appreciated.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:26 am

hyakku wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Jhausie wrote:Even if I'm already 24?


Your fifty-year-old self will will laugh at this thought. He will laugh in a good way if you study for another year and retake, which sets yourself up for greater financial freedom and better long term career prospects. He will laugh a depressing, lonely laugh if you go to a school that will accept a 155.


Please this man. You've served our country, I'd hate to see you get fucked by debt later down the role because you settled. You can and will do better next year my man, and be looking at graduating with little to no debt. And really, what's better, being a 28 Year old working your ass off to pay off 200k in a likely mediocre job, or being a 29 Year old banking 60-70k a year because you've got no debt and no worries? Keep in mind Michigan generally seems to give extra attention, aid and financial help to veterans IIRC, so that's a T14 to definitely look into.

Thank you for risking your life as well in service for our nation, regardless of my position on the war, it's much appreciated.



If it hasn't already been mentioned, don't forget Northeastern either- work experience in the military would help you out. Just get yourself a high LSAT.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby mattviphky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am

spleenworship wrote:
If it hasn't already been mentioned, don't forget NorthWEstern either- work experience in the military would help you out. Just get yourself a high LSAT.


Fixed

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3.75 GPA, 155 LSAT Go this year or Retake?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 am

mattviphky wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
If it hasn't already been mentioned, don't forget NorthWEstern either- work experience in the military would help you out. Just get yourself a high LSAT.


Fixed


Ugh... Sorry.... Not enough coffee yet




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests