Who applies march 30- April 1? Anyone?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pixleprincess

Who applies march 30- April 1? Anyone?

Postby pixleprincess » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Well I did, for personal reasons, because of a unique set of circumstances.
Now I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done this (likely not..) or maybe knows people who have?
From the forum searching I've done the consenus seems to be "wait, reapply next cycle" but putting that aside, I'm curious if anyone has input regarding the notsoearly birds.. Obviously it wouldn't work for t14 applicants but outside of that... It seems interesting that schools ask for deposits from admitted students by April, yet also have an application priority deadline of April 1. Whom does the rolling admission system seek to serve, I can't find anyone who's applied as late as me!

splitbrain

Re: Who applies march 30- April 1? Anyone?

Postby splitbrain » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:29 pm

pixleprincess wrote:Obviously it wouldn't work for t14 applicants but outside of that...

What? No.

It just depends on your numbers and whether or not you'd be admitted normally. Of course it's better to apply early but if they just shut everyone out after a certain date, why wouldn't that be the deadline?

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:39 pm

pixleprincess wrote:Well I did, for personal reasons, because of a unique set of circumstances.
Now I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done this (likely not..) or maybe knows people who have?
From the forum searching I've done the consenus seems to be "wait, reapply next cycle" but putting that aside, I'm curious if anyone has input regarding the notsoearly birds.. Obviously it wouldn't work for t14 applicants but outside of that... It seems interesting that schools ask for deposits from admitted students by April, yet also have an application priority deadline of April 1. Whom does the rolling admission system seek to serve, I can't find anyone who's applied as late as me!

...I can't think of any "unique set of circumstances" that would prohibit you from applying until April. Most law school apps open before October. Was there seriously something going on that stopped you from submitting apps for six months? Or are you just making excuses for yourself?

Take this process seriously and reapply next cycle.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Also, if your profile stats are true, and you have a 3.9 gpa and a 168 LSAT, you should DEFINITELY retake the LSAT and shoot for T-14 (It seems you want NYC). If you wait a year you may even have a chance at Cornell with your current numbers if you apply early.

pixleprincess

Postby pixleprincess » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 am

"...I can't think of any "unique set of circumstances" that would prohibit you from applying until April. Most law school apps open before October. Was there seriously something going on that stopped you from submitting apps for six months? Or are you just making excuses for yourself?

Take this process seriously and reapply next cycle."

Sure, plenty of excuses and call it cognitive dissonance if you like but I feel happy about my prospects considering what I've overcome. I take it very seriously, and having watched this forum for over 5 years I know to expect responses like yours, so now that I'm done being defensive- I'll try and ask again

Has anyone else anywhere applied very late?
I see posts that tell people not to even bother after January. Well, I bothered so it's moot. But it's kind of interesting that it's rolling admissions but the "rolling part" seems irrelevant in some ways. I was just curious about others experiences, but maybe tree are none.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 am

5 years, 4 posts. That's awesome. I gathered info from this site for well over a year before I ever posted.

I did not apply quite as late but did apply in early March with February lsat score. The four schools I applied at are not t14, all ranked between 70's and 100, with one local unranked school in there. It hasn't hurt me, at least I do not believe. Accepted at all 4 with as large, or larger, scholarship offers than what I see on LSN for my numbers.

At this point, just see what comes in. If you don't like your options then retake and reapply next year. Good luck!

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 am

pixleprincess wrote:" I feel happy about my prospects considering what I've overcome.

Wouldn't you be even happierer at Cornell?

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean.

LadyDiabolyn

Postby LadyDiabolyn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 am

pixleprincess wrote:Well I did, for personal reasons, because of a unique set of circumstances.

I applied right at UF's deadline and already got in. Same for Ohio and Illinois.

pixleprincess

Postby pixleprincess » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 am

Received offer at Brooklyn within a week. I also now know at least 4 more people in similar boats.

Also- no, I wouldn't be happier in cornell. Not at all.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 am

With those numbers...you could've done better with great scholarship money. So, a better school for cheaper. I don't mean just rankings--you gotta care about the market, but you know, your odds of getting a job are important. If you take a year off, you'll be able to save up more money, perhaps develop more WE to make yourself competitive in the legal job market, and have a better cycle. I know someone who had personal circumstances that delayed her, and I understood them, but I do believe she wishes she could go back and apply earlier if only because she would've gotten a fair bit more money than the $0 in merit money she got.

ETA: This applies very much for public interest, actually. Getting some kind of work experience in the field you plan to go into will make you much more competitive in law school (for internships and for your final job).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”