Still Waiting on Application Decisions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jhausie

New

Still Waiting on Application Decisions

Post by Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if schools are required to notify you of their decision on your application.

I have three withstanding still and I am not waitlisted. They either say that my file has been reviewed, but a decision has not been reached, or that my file is still in review. This has been the case for about 2-3 weeks now, if not longer for some of them. We are obviously getting down to the wire, where one needs to start paying seat deposits, however I don't want to fork out a $500 non-refundable seat deposit for somewhere if I am going to be accepted at one of these schools that haven't got back to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Re: Still Waiting on Application Decisions

Post by hichvichwoh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm in the same position. As long as they get to my application before they start pulling people off waitlists, I don't really mind I guess.

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Yeah, but are you just going to pay seat deposits at other places you've been accepted as an insurance policy then?

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

why plural? pay the seat deposit on the school you want to go to if you don't get it into any of the schools you're waiting on or off any waitlists.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Jhausie wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if schools are required to notify you of their decision on your application.
They are not required to let you know in a timely manner (i.e. before another school's seat deposit deadline comes up). It sucks, but that's the way it is. Pick the school to which you've been accepted that you'd be happy to attend should you not get into any of the other schools at which your application is outstanding, and put that seat deposit down.

You can also try calling the schools at which your application is outstanding to let them know of impending deadlines. Some will expedite the decision on your file, though this makes some people nervous (they'll expedite it to a rejection, in their heads). I personally don't know if that's a valid thought or not, but I can certainly see that it's possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:55 pm

If you have only been under review for 2-3 weeks then it sounds like you applied late and it's your own fault that they haven't decided yet.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 pm

2014 wrote:If you have only been under review for 2-3 weeks then it sounds like you applied late and it's your own fault that they haven't decided yet.
thank you for your helpful comment

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:11 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
2014 wrote:If you have only been under review for 2-3 weeks then it sounds like you applied late and it's your own fault that they haven't decided yet.
thank you for your helpful comment
Np I try

lanysu

New

Post by lanysu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I also read on the forums to be careful of putting down multiple seat deposits.

In addition to the refund policy being contingent upon the school (read: you may not get your money back at all from some schools), there is apparently a list circulated by LSAC. Schools report to LSAC the students who have put down a deposit. LSAC in turn circulates a list of either students who put down a deposit or students who put down multiple deposits. In either event, your schools can be notified. Some applicants have allegedly had their acceptance and/or merit aid revoked as a result.

If you are intent on putting down multiple seat deposits, I would suggest contacting each school to inquire about their policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:52 pm

lanysu wrote:I also read on the forums to be careful of putting down multiple seat deposits.

In addition to the refund policy being contingent upon the school (read: you may not get your money back at all from some schools), there is apparently a list circulated by LSAC. Schools report to LSAC the students who have put down a deposit. LSAC in turn circulates a list of either students who put down a deposit or students who put down multiple deposits. In either event, your schools can be notified. Some applicants have allegedly had their acceptance and/or merit aid revoked as a result.

If you are intent on putting down multiple seat deposits, I would suggest contacting each school to inquire about their policy.
Do you have a source for this? I am under the impression that although LSAC circulates the list, it is more for the schools to get a better understanding of what their class will look like. I don't think they're allowed to revoke an acceptance for multiple deposits since you're not really breaking any rules (unless you were ED or the deposit says that it is a binding acceptance of their offer).

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I don't understand this. Most people wait MONTHS for responses. If you just applied then I would expect to at least wait a few weeks to a month for a response as adcomms are in their busiest time right now. Also, at this point some schools have started pulling from their waitlists so you may be behind those people as well. In other words, I'm not sure why you didn't apply earlier.

But your strategy should be call schools, put down a deposit at the school you'd go to if the cycle ended now (dont put down multiple ones) or ask for an extension from that school, and write LOCI's if you don't hear back in a few weeks.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:
lanysu wrote:I also read on the forums to be careful of putting down multiple seat deposits.

Do you have a source for this? I am under the impression that although LSAC circulates the list, it is more for the schools to get a better understanding of what their class will look like. I don't think they're allowed to revoke an acceptance for multiple deposits since you're not really breaking any rules (unless you were ED or the deposit says that it is a binding acceptance of their offer).
I would also like to see a source. I've never heard of this happening, and I also don't think that they're 'allowed' to revoke without something besides multiple seat deposits being the cause.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”