should i be upset

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uig10

should i be upset

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Story: I am a 0L who is just about done with my app cycle. I applied to schools in the top 50. I had solid numbers and should have had a few acceptances at least. But because of C & F issues, i got admitted to only one school in the t30-40 so far. i probably would have been able to keep my debt around 90,000 to 100,000 at this school. however, i had no specific interest in this region and it was not in my home state or anywhere near it. so basically i would've been attending because it is the only school i got admitted to. while a career in law seemed interesting, possibly satisfying (although i havent been exposed to the life of a lawyer too much), i was not absolutely dying to be a lawyer, and to be honest i was definitely doing it hoping to earn a nice salary and have a stable career.

now i got another criminal charge and notified the school immediately. they revoked my admission and told me im welcome to reapply next year. While i did send them a letter asking them to please reconsider, im not sure it will be of much use. so now, unless i get some miracle acceptance and nice scholly off a waitlist or hold, it looks like law school in the fall may not happen as originally planned.

although I am upset that i lost admission because of some stupid choices, I am not so sure that letting the law school plans go out the window is horrible in the long run. yes i did spend about half a year on the lsat and application process, that is kind of a waste to me.

but now i have sent in apps to some masters programs with solid career prospects. should i just let those acceptances roll in and never look back?

hichvichwoh

Re: should i be upset

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

i was not absolutely dying to be a lawyer, and to be honest i was definitely doing it hoping to earn a nice salary and have a stable career.

You should not go to law school.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Sounds like letting go of law school won't be too hard for you. Good luck with your new direction!

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

i should also mention that any of the grad schools i would go to would be at least 50% cheaper than Lawschool

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm

You might want to check with a C&F attorney to figure out why schools are passing on you.

Is it an issue that might affect you ability to get admitted to the bar?

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:05 pm

had i not got in trouble again, it probably would have been expunged and not an issue for the bar. but now, i really don't know what will happen.

and i would also guess that the fact these events are pretty recent had some effect

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm

bump

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I would definitely reconsider law school. What would you go to grad school for?

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:25 pm

info systems

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:36 pm

lol at stabbing someone. think somewhere between those two. pretty serious but not serious enough to land me in jail

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:40 pm

If you're still messing up, it may be time to sit back and chill out for a few years while you let it go behind you. You'll have a way better shot the more time that's passed. I had some juvenile issues, but by the time I applied it had been so long that I could clearly demonstrate I'd turned my life around, and it became a compelling story more than a hurdle. I mean objectively too, if you're still getting jammed up who's to say it won't happen again while you're in law school, and then you just wasted a ton of money. Let your life calm down a bit before you subject yourself to the horrors of law school man.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Well, for starters...

Seriously, though - give it some time. Work. Get experience and recommendations. Learn about the value of coffee break banter. In 2-3 years, reapply with a clean record and the "I put the mistakes of my youth behind me" addendum.

That addendum will work in a few years. No school on earth will believe it today.

This is what you should do if you know you definitely still want to go to law school. If you were already on the fence about law school to begin with, you've got as good a reason as any to pick another path.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Are you applying to law school to enter a new profession or to save on legal fees ? :?

Regardless of your purpose for wanting to earn a law degree, you're not ready.

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm

haha really? is two run ins with the law that much? i have to say that the first one (way more serious) was just a crazy situation all around that i shouldve never even entered in the first place, but hindsight is a bitch.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Two run-ins with the law raises serious doubts about your readiness for law school when the second run-in with the law occurs during the end of your law school application cycle during which you learned that your first run-in with the law cost you admission to all but one of approximately a few dozen law schools.

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Last edited by lonerider on Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Find another job.... no one except a Walter wants a Saul Goodman. :wink:

Seriously, if you aren't that into law, you have good career prospects elsewhere, and you might not be able to get a job even if you do get into law school due to C&F issues, this just probably is the universe's way of telling of you to move on.

uig10

Postby uig10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 pm

don't wanna talk about the first one but the second one i will say is for pot. and its completely my fault i know that. i honestly don't think that a minor pot possession charge is an indicator that im not mature enough for law school though. but obviously that opinion is why i ended up in the position im in

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 pm

i honestly don't think that a minor pot possession charge is an indicator that im not mature enough for law school though. but obviously that opinion is why i ended up in the position im in

It kind of is.

Most people have issues in their past, but the key there is that it's in our past. Once you decide to become a lawyer you need to alter your mindset about what that means. As tempting as it is to be a normal person, it's an indication that you really don't take it that seriously.

There's nothing immoral about pot possession. There's a sizeable amount of people who justifiably think that laws against drugs are stupid. But it is the law and as irritating it is to hear from someone about obedience, it does indicate a disrespect for your career. If you can't give up pot, how are you going to give up sleeping in every morning. How are you going to dedicate yourself to an extremely demanding career. It's not that you can't do this while using marijuana, it's the simple fact that you aren't willing to do it.

It doesn't seem like you really want to do law anyways. So no big deal, I guess. Hope the possession gets cleared up for you though. Still not something you want on your background check.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
i was not absolutely dying to be a lawyer, and to be honest i was definitely doing it hoping to earn a nice salary and have a stable career.

You should not go to law school.

So much this. Lots of debt for a mediocre school in an area where you have no ties, AND you have only a minimal desire for a career in law? Dude, don't even THINK about going.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

spleenworship wrote:Find another job.... no one except a Walter wants a Saul Goodman. :wink:

You don't want a criminal lawyer, you want a criminal [pause] lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlEqAjg8aU

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”