Princeton Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ThreeRivers

Silver

Re: Princeton Law School?

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Br3v wrote:Who hear would go to Princeton LS out of curiosity?
If it became HYSP you would

Also... say your options were Vandy, WUSL, BU, Minn, or Princenton's 1st ever class. I would go to / gamble on Princeton, I think a lot of people would.

What about UVA / Duke / Penn at sticker compared to Princeton with $$$$$$$$$$?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

Also... say your options were Vandy, WUSL, BU, Minn, or Princenton's 1st ever class. I would go to / gamble on Princeton, I think a lot of people would.

Yeah it comes down to if an individual wants to risk it out at a "new" law school. I think it would be cool to say you were from the first graduating class of the modern law school though

ashika2212

New

Post by ashika2212 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 pm

If their grade deflation is anything like their undergrad I wouldn't!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Br3v wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:

Yeah it comes down to if an individual wants to risk it out at a "new" law school. I think it would be cool to say you were from the first graduating class of the modern law school though
TBH, I would apply / then see what their LSN chart is looking like. You could probably take a pretty accurate guess at what their medians are going to be / if it would attract firms at OCI

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

Even Harvard at sticker v. Princeton with full scholarship, I would give Princeton a real look. I can't imagine that Princeton wouldn't compete with HYS within a decade. They would almost certainly have very high medians, especially with a small class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I wouldn't envy the admission staff there.

For most admission's staff its just a simple game of math / numbers, and they have a ton of data on how many will end up matriculating, how many have to admit to get the right amount of people / medians, etc. Probably not that hard at all

Princeton's would just be a complete guessing game. I'd imagine their wait list would be HUGE

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:21 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

I think if my only options were sticker outside of HYS I'd probably go with Princeton.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:30 pm

dingbat wrote:.......
So, Princeton would need to take about $150 million out of their endowment to try to establish a new law school in a crowded market. Think about it. Princeton is in the middle of nowhere. That means trying to muscle in on Yale, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Penn amd Cornell in the Northeast. Add Stanford and Chicago for federal or Duke, UVA and Georgetown for feeding directly into DC (not to mention the rest of the T14 on a national level)
Alternatively, Princeton could build $180 million neuroscience center.
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/arch ... /87/78G46/

Or a $136 million undergrad dormitory
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 784589.htm

Or have an undergraduate financial aid program that makes a mockery of sticker price.
http://www.princeton.edu/admission/fina ... qualifies/

It's Princeton. They replant a massive garden every year because it has its own dedicated endowment and they're not allowed to spend the money on anything else. The alumni from their undergraduate program probably hire enough in-house counsels to place an entire law class. Setting aside such minor issues as "should they," "why would they want to", and "where would they put it," they certainly COULD do it.

[I like how you attempt to quantify the costs of starting up a law school, if anything you're probably underestimating the price, but they're really pretty nuts down there.]

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I think you guys are lying.
There's a pretty tough collective action problem here too --students wouldnt go unless they knew firms would be interested, and firms are going to need to see tremendous scores to take a risk. if the school is gunning for top kids, theyll be making the other t-14 easier to get into --but I dont think they will because students need to be assured that other students would actually show up instead of taking their safer t-14 option.
Even if they tried to go free, Im thinking HYS would collude and also reduce tuition to prevent entry to the market.
Theyre also not positioned too well regionally --theyd be going head to head directly against 4 of the t-14..

Theyd probably have to start with some sort of non-traditional study, perhaps tie it to the international affairs school and start clinics?
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I think you guys are lying.
There's a pretty tough collective action problem here too --students wouldnt go unless they knew firms would be interesting, and firms are going to need to see tremendous scores to take a risk. if the school is gunning for top kids, theyll be making the other t-14 easier to get into --but I dont think they will because students need to be assured that other students would actually show up instead of taking their safer t-14 option.
Even if they tried to go free, Im thinking HYS would collude and also reduce tuition to prevent entry to the market.
Theyre also not positioned too well regionally --theyd be going head to head directly against 4 of the t-14..

Theyd probably have to start with some sort of non-traditional study, perhaps tie it to the international affairs school and start clinics?
Are you not from the East Coast? I think you may be underestimating the sway of the Princeton name in New England/ Mid-ATlantic. It is HUGE.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 pm

I'd go to Princeton. Lay preftige.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Napt

Bronze

Post by Napt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:I think you guys are lying.
There's a pretty tough collective action problem here too --students wouldnt go unless they knew firms would be interesting, and firms are going to need to see tremendous scores to take a risk. if the school is gunning for top kids, theyll be making the other t-14 easier to get into --but I dont think they will because students need to be assured that other students would actually show up instead of taking their safer t-14 option.

Are you not from the East Coast? I think you may be underestimating the sway of the Princeton name in New England/ Mid-ATlantic. It is HUGE.
What's your point, exactly? Yale has a bigger name than Princeton and Yale's b-school is still relatively shitty compared to the better b-schools even though Yale SOM has been around since 1976. Princeton is undoubtedly one of the most prestigious schools in the country, but I think you're way overestimating the role prestige plays in firms recruiting on campus. I think it's possible Princeton Law could break the T14 within its first five years or so of existence, but I doubt it would reach the level of CCN within ten years, nevermind HYS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Napt wrote: What's your point, exactly? Yale has a bigger name than Princeton and Yale's b-school is still relatively shitty compared to the better b-schools even though Yale SOM has been around since 1976. Princeton is undoubtedly one of the most prestigious schools in the country, but I think you're way overestimating the role prestige plays in firms recruiting on campus. I think it's possible Princeton Law could break the T14 within its first five years or so of existence, but I doubt it would reach the level of CCN within ten years, nevermind HYS.
Solid point.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:51 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Napt wrote: What's your point, exactly? Yale has a bigger name than Princeton and Yale's b-school is still relatively shitty compared to the better b-schools even though Yale SOM has been around since 1976. Princeton is undoubtedly one of the most prestigious schools in the country, but I think you're way overestimating the role prestige plays in firms recruiting on campus. I think it's possible Princeton Law could break the T14 within its first five years or so of existence, but I doubt it would reach the level of CCN within ten years, nevermind HYS.
Solid point.
Which is why I'll stick with my opinion of this

I think it would come out as Georgetownish and would slowly build up, I disagree with some of the "right behind HYS RIGHT AWAY"

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Would the law school have its own eating clubs?

nfohey

New

Post by nfohey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Image
Win.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Anyone else still under review at PLS? Heard a new batch of admits are going out next wk

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Anyone else still under review at PLS? Heard a new batch of admits are going out next wk
Yeah but I've got a scholly at brown and I've been accepted to Dartmouth so I'm not too worried

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Three years at clown college, eh?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sirius

New

Post by Sirius » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I would go to Princeton over anything outside of T6.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”