CA legal market and ties

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

CA legal market and ties

Postby moneymoney » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I understand that almost any market except NYC wants you to have some sort of ties in order to work there. Well, my question is: is going to law school in CA sufficient enough to establish a "tie" there?

I've wanted to move to CA for awhile now even though I have no ties. I was accepted to UCLA and USC and will be going to one of these two schools. I'm interested in practicing in SoCal, not NorCal, FWIW.

I think some people have said that just going to school in the market in which you want to practice isn't enough. But is the same true for California? I was kind of surprised that CA markets want ties at all. A lot of people move from all over to live and work in CA. Are they that worried about people leaving?

Re: CA legal market and ties

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:51 pm

I think you're fine. SoCal isn't parochial in the way that Florida/Alabama/Georgia/etc are.

Re: CA legal market and ties

Postby CodyRuegger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Go to SoCal, have fun. A very significant portion of the attorneys who work in the LA area are UCLA/USC alumni - the Berkeley/Stanford kids like to stay up north where most of the IP action happens. Having an LA school on your resume may be the only tie you need.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”