"Third Tier Reality" Website?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Attorney at Play

"Third Tier Reality" Website?

Postby Attorney at Play » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey Guys, in my recent law school research endeavors I came upon this website completely bashing many schools (including Tier 1 schools I thought were pretty good).

LINKS:

[Moderator: Deleted.]

Gail

Re: "Third Tier Reality" Website?

Postby Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't know how many readers of Nando are TTT washouts.

I generally don't like his tone. I think calling everyone "bitch" is unnecessary, but I read his posts and overall tey're pretty good. His first tier ones are hit and miss. Fordham is a really good school for biglaw.

He's doing a service though. Certainly made me think twice before jumping into 160k debt.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Man, the author is one angry dude...

"Festering pool of rat piss."

"Designed for wiping your ass."

"Pre$TTTigiou$ toilet."

"Overpriced piece of trash."

"Would Jesus charge poor and middle-class people $29,852 per year for a legal education?"

"FesTTering TToileTT."

"Avoid this school as you would an HIV-infected prostitute."

"Festering, foul pile of waste!!"

dooood

Postby dooood » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 pm

The message is commendable, but his delivery and pictures of feces are disgusting (and frankly undermine his credibility in the eyes of the very people he's trying to convince). Also, GULC does NOT belong on that list

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:07 pm

"Well…according to the emergency reserve of toilet paper known as US “News” & World Report"

Thank you Nando, you have made my day. lol

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:11 pm

I would take his word with a grain of salt. Yes, many of the schools on the list are overpriced in comparison the lack of opportunities that one of their degrees would provide--cough, New York Law School. But really, University of Minnesota? The guy comes off as a huge ass, which probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't been able to find gainful employment after getting his JD.

And what is his deal with all the graphic images of poop? I wouldn't be surprised if he had some kind of coprophagic fetish.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Buck.Shot wrote:I would take his word with a grain of salt. Yes, many of the schools on the list are overpriced in comparison the lack of opportunities that one of their degrees would provide--cough, New York Law School. But really, University of Minnesota? The guy comes off as a huge ass, which probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't been able to find gainful employment after getting his JD.

And what is his deal with all the graphic images of poop? I wouldn't be surprised if he had some kind of coprophagic fetish.

Yeah, he certainly seems like he has a big chip on his shoulder. The poop serves as a device though; a device through which he can make so many funny poop jokes...duh...lol ;)

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah, I am a big fan of poop jokes. I wonder if the pictures he posts are his actual feces. If so, then I am truly concerned for his health.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:03 pm

the median is the message.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:21 pm

minnbills wrote:the median is the message.

Nice.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm

I doubt his analysis on UMinn or UofH is correct, but I don't have any experience with those schools. I've added this website to my favs for sh!ts and giggles. No double entendre intended. :D

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

He left some schools off of the list.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Buck.Shot wrote:I would take his word with a grain of salt. Yes, many of the schools on the list are overpriced in comparison the lack of opportunities that one of their degrees would provide--cough, New York Law School. But really, University of Minnesota? The guy comes off as a huge ass, which probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't been able to find gainful employment after getting his JD.

His analysis of Minnesota (http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/20 ... ty-of.html), editorializing aside, is completely factual. The salary statistic really is damning. Only 37% of people employed in the private sector reported a salary. Schools just a few spots up in the rankings have reporting rates of 80-90% for the whole class, and 90%+ for people employed in the private sector.

Have you seen their employment stats for C/O 2010? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181723 (scroll down). Almost a quarter of their class was basically unemployed. Another third was in low paying jobs.

I wouldn't call Minnesota a toilet. You can probably go there and get a decent $60k/year job at a local firm if you do reasonably well. But you also have a pretty big chance of unemployment. All told, probably not worth the $30-40k/year they charge you in tuition, unless you get a substantial scholarship.

Job opportunities fall precipitously as you go down the rankings. At a T14 about 60% of people for C/O 2010 ended up at a big firm or a federal clerkship. At Minnesota, a T20, that plummets to 20%. At a T14, about 20% of C/O 2010 ended up unemployed or at a low-paying job. At Minnesota it was almost 60%. We're talking about a prestigious, flagship school of decently-sized state with substantial business and industry. What do you think happens as you go down the rankings to T50, T100, and Tier 3/4?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 pm

To me, these kinds of posts (or in this case, entire websites) can almost be counterproductive. Obviously, the message needs to get out that, for a ton of people, law school is a bad investment. However, the target audience is the people who got into these schools and are seriously considering attending them. When you talk about what a festering pile of dung each school is, I think a lot of people take that personally. These are the schools in their intellectual range, and when you use that kind of nasty language, people are going to see that as nothing more than someone who must have gotten into a better school and therefore think they have the right to talk down to anyone who didn't get into the schools they got into (like adding GULC to the list comes across as snobbish). I think that's why there's such a push against the "elitism" of TLS; it's not the message that people object to, it's the way it's presented. Telling people that they shouldn't go to a non-T14 school without lots of scholarship money, and a good idea that where they go will determine where they practice, is very good. It's what people need to hear. But with the way some people come across, it just sounds like a bunch of people who got 170+ on their LSAT and want to tell other people how much they suck for not going to an "elite" school.

It's kind of strange to me that a group of future lawyers don't understand how it's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it that matters. It's fantastic to tell someone considering a TTT about the realities of the money and time they'll lose to pursuit a JD that most likely won't yield meaningful job prospects and they should seriously reconsider law school in general. It's another thing to tell someone that the law school they're considering is a festering pile of shit and is worthless. People may see that less as a criticism of the law school and more of a criticism of them as a candidate. Just my two cents though.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Gail wrote:I don't know how many readers of Nando are TTT washouts.

I generally don't like his tone. I think calling everyone "bitch" is unnecessary, but I read his posts and overall tey're pretty good. His first tier ones are hit and miss. Fordham is a really good school for biglaw.

He's doing a service though. Certainly made me think twice before jumping into 160k debt.

Lol, what? Even in boomtimes Fordham placed only about 1/3 of it's class in biglaw. These days, that number is less than 20%. What exactly is your definition of "really good school for biglaw"?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

Lol, what? Even in boomtimes Fordham placed only about 1/3 of it's class in biglaw. These days, that number is less than 20%. What exactly is your definition of "really good school for biglaw"?

If it, in boomtimes, places about 1/3 it is a really good school. Obviously that's relative and that doesn't mean a really good school for biglaw is a really good investment. Given the stinginess of Fordham it certainly comes at a premium.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:55 pm

moonman157 wrote:To me, these kinds of posts (or in this case, entire websites) can almost be counterproductive. Obviously, the message needs to get out that, for a ton of people, law school is a bad investment. However, the target audience is the people who got into these schools and are seriously considering attending them. When you talk about what a festering pile of dung each school is, I think a lot of people take that personally. These are the schools in their intellectual range, and when you use that kind of nasty language, people are going to see that as nothing more than someone who must have gotten into a better school and therefore think they have the right to talk down to anyone who didn't get into the schools they got into (like adding GULC to the list comes across as snobbish). I think that's why there's such a push against the "elitism" of TLS; it's not the message that people object to, it's the way it's presented. Telling people that they shouldn't go to a non-T14 school without lots of scholarship money, and a good idea that where they go will determine where they practice, is very good. It's what people need to hear. But with the way some people come across, it just sounds like a bunch of people who got 170+ on their LSAT and want to tell other people how much they suck for not going to an "elite" school.

It's kind of strange to me that a group of future lawyers don't understand how it's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it that matters. It's fantastic to tell someone considering a TTT about the realities of the money and time they'll lose to pursuit a JD that most likely won't yield meaningful job prospects and they should seriously reconsider law school in general. It's another thing to tell someone that the law school they're considering is a festering pile of shit and is worthless. People may see that less as a criticism of the law school and more of a criticism of them as a candidate. Just my two cents though.

Nope.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:02 am

Gail wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

If it, in boomtimes, places about 1/3 it is a really good school. Obviously that's relative and that doesn't mean a really good school for biglaw is a really good investment. Given the stinginess of Fordham it certainly comes at a premium.

Not when there were schools that were doing almost 100%.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 am

I just go to look at the pics of sh!t. All the other info, analysis, commentary, and advice can be found here.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:04 am

I.P. Daly wrote:"Avoid this school as you would an HIV-infected prostitute."

HIV positives need love too brah!

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:14 am

I'm pretty sure this dude was in cahoots with the firm that slammed the f15 (fraud 15) schools with all those lawsuits.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:19 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wearefoxsports

Postby wearefoxsports » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I notice this person put Georgetown (AKA first tier toilet) on the list too.

http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/20 ... -tier.html

pret

Postby pret » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:04 pm

It's kind of repetitive. "School x says 98% graduates found jobs, but only 40% responded! Tuition costs $30,000 a year!" *rinse, repeat*

He does go a overboard. Everything from his images, tone to even his anti-capitalist avatar make him questionable.

I like his conditions one should satisfy before going to school, though: 1) You've got connections that will help you get a job, 2) you understand the risks of law school, 3) you're going to a top8 school, although I think top14 is better accurate.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 pm

pret wrote:He does go a overboard. Everything from his images, tone to even his anti-capitalist avatar make him questionable.

I imagine he does this to attract attention to the site. However, I wonder if he's really that angry and sarcastic in real life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”