Application Advice! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopelesslyconfused2

New

Application Advice!

Post by hopelesslyconfused2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Hello TLS!

I'm applying in the next cycle and was wondering if I could get some input. I'm a 175+ student with a 3.9+ GPA targetting HYSCC. Initially I was going to focus my application on my technical background (biomedical engineering) as why I want to enter law (Patents are bullcrap.) However, I've recently heard advice that it might be beneficial to somehow incorporate my backstory into my application:

So here's the deal, I'm Iraqi born from a father that was in the government in the late 80's to mid 90's (a good guy, he was involved in a state-owned manufacturing company which classified him as a 'government official', nothing political or related to military/abusing people). When due to health reasons I needed medical care unavailable, we found ourselves in the unfortunate position of not being able to go to any country in the west, being denied any form of visa for obvious reasons. Upon repeated positioning among other things, we were finally able to come to America, and thus I learned to love this country.

I've been advised by a friend in HYS right now who is familiar with the story that it might be helpful in the application, I'm not so sure. Now I've never used that as a sob story before or looked for sympathy, but I'd love any edge I can get for HYS! Any thoughts on if/how I should incorporate that into a PS/Diversity statement?

PS: We all hate Saddam so please no trollage.

Thanks!

CodyRuegger

New

Re: Application Advice!

Post by CodyRuegger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am

I think you might want to check this board out: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

While I'm here though, my personal opinion is that your life story would probably be much more fascinating to read than yet another patent law statement from a science major.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 am

CodyRuegger wrote:I think you might want to check this board out: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

While I'm here though, my personal opinion is that your life story would probably be much more fascinating to read than yet another patent law statement from a science major.
Seriously, that would make an awesome PS.

hopelesslyconfused2

New

Post by hopelesslyconfused2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 am

CodyRuegger wrote:I think you might want to check this board out: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Thanks, I was considering posting it there but since I wasn't sure if this would better be told in a diversity statement /addendum I thought it be more appropriate here. So put it in PS and not in a diversity statement seems to be the response?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm

I would personally like to hear more about how patents are bullcrap. Also, if possible, make it clear why that's motivating you to go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:44 pm

hopelesslyconfused2 wrote:(Patents are bullcrap.)
wut? I would still have focused on this even if you told us Saddam was awesome.

hopelesslyconfused2

New

Post by hopelesslyconfused2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 am

Alright, not ALL patents. Just software patents and ones on DNA sequences, and medical treatment protocol patents (ones that go something along the lines of 'checking for blood sugar levels to determine if diabetic is a novel technique' not patenting a technique for determining blood sugar levels, rather the idea of using the blood sugar levels in a formula to see if you're diabetic.)

If you developed something cool and awesome and is physical I can appreciate that and respect it. As well as drugs, thats cool too because it takes something like 8 years to get FDA approval.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:12 am

hopelesslyconfused2 wrote:Alright, not ALL patents. Just software patents and ones on DNA sequences, and medical treatment protocol patents (ones that go something along the lines of 'checking for blood sugar levels to determine if diabetic is a novel technique' not patenting a technique for determining blood sugar levels, rather the idea of using the blood sugar levels in a formula to see if you're diabetic.)

If you developed something cool and awesome and is physical I can appreciate that and respect it. As well as drugs, thats cool too because it takes something like 8 years to get FDA approval.
Well I hate to tell you, but your time in law school and career in law will have no impact on whether patents for those things exist. Reconsider law school when you have a reason for going that isn't bright-eyed optimism about your ability to change the world.

hopelesslyconfused2

New

Post by hopelesslyconfused2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
hopelesslyconfused2 wrote:Alright, not ALL patents. Just software patents and ones on DNA sequences, and medical treatment protocol patents (ones that go something along the lines of 'checking for blood sugar levels to determine if diabetic is a novel technique' not patenting a technique for determining blood sugar levels, rather the idea of using the blood sugar levels in a formula to see if you're diabetic.)

Well I hate to tell you, but your time in law school and career in law will have no impact on whether patents for those things exist. Reconsider law school when you have a reason for going that isn't bright-eyed optimism about your ability to change the world.
Oh god no I hope to make money out of this bullshit system not change it, it's just I personally think they shouldn't exist. Does that stop me from representing someone such as Apple with 'swipe to unlock' patents for 160k a year? Hell no.

I was merely planning to write about how my experience in my major has let me to patent law and I found that interesting yada yada. I wasn't going to mention 'patents are bullshit', sorry if that wasn't clear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 am

hopelesslyconfused2 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Oh god no I hope to make money out of this bullshit system not change it, it's just I personally think they shouldn't exist. Does that stop me from representing someone such as Apple with 'swipe to unlock' patents for 160k a year? Hell no.

I was merely planning to write about how my experience in my major has let me to patent law and I found that interesting yada yada. I wasn't going to mention 'patents are bullshit', sorry if that wasn't clear.
Willing to ignore your own feelings for the sake of getting a well-paying job? Carry on, good sir.

hopelesslyconfused2

New

Post by hopelesslyconfused2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
hopelesslyconfused2 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Willing to ignore your own feelings for the sake of getting a well-paying job? Carry on, good sir.
What can I say, warm feelings don't buy Zegna suits.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

hopelesslyconfused2 wrote: I was merely planning to write about how my experience in my major has let me to patent law and I found that interesting yada yada. I wasn't going to mention 'patents are bullshit', sorry if that wasn't clear.
Boring.

Yale especially cares more about your backstory
(their marketing material regularly includes lists of how diverse their student body is)
Your background (with or without the sob story part) is a major asset and you'd be wise to leverage all it's worth.

Your technical background will be apparent from other parts of your resume, the personal statement lets you add whatever you wish, so you should wow them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”