Nepotism and work experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shifty_eyed

Nepotism and work experience?

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:44 am

My only decent soft is my work experience (and i'll admit it's not amazing, but its all i have going for me besides my lsat, ok?!)

However, I'm afraid if ad comms google the company I work for, they'll see that my mom is a physician there (medical group). It's a unique last name, so it will be obvious we are related.

I don't deny that I was hired because of my mom. However, I was recently promoted when 6 other employees were laid off (including one whose mother is important in the company as well) and two of my superiors/LONG TIME employees were demoted with pay cuts to be now beneath me in the hierarchy.

I guess what I'm asking is if the fact that my mom works for the same company will negate my work experience and accomplishments? It's a large medical group, and I don't work for her practice. I work in the administration side of things and report to the COO and CEO.

ColtsFan88

Re: Nepotism and work experience?

Postby ColtsFan88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 am

shifty_eyed wrote:My only decent soft is my work experience (and i'll admit it's not amazing, but its all i have going for me besides my lsat, ok?!)

However, I'm afraid if ad comms google the company I work for, they'll see that my mom is a physician there (medical group). It's a unique last name, so it will be obvious we are related.

I don't deny that I was hired because of my mom. However, I was recently promoted when 6 other employees were laid off (including one whose mother is important in the company as well) and two of my superiors/LONG TIME employees were demoted with pay cuts to be now beneath me in the hierarchy.

I guess what I'm asking is if the fact that my mom works for the same company will negate my work experience and accomplishments? It's a large medical group, and I don't work for her practice. I work in the administration side of things and report to the COO and CEO.

I can't say for sure, but I dont think they will look into the company and find out, and even if they did I don't think they would care. Family helps people get jobs all the time.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am

We are all players in this Game of Thrones.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:01 am

monkey85 wrote:We are all players in this Game of Thrones.

Fucking awesome show FTW

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”