I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
skyline95
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby skyline95 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:30 pm

The road to graduating from medical school is much harder. First of all, you need to major in one of the hard sciences and then be in med school for 4 years plus residency. You're paying an ass load of money and in school for damn near 30 years...

The path to biglaw is objectively easier. You can major in art history in college, get a 4.0 while enjoying yourself. If you're a good test taker or you can work hard enough to earn a high 160's +, you can go to one of the nation's most prestigious law schools and from there get a job that pays 160,000 dollars a year all at the rip e old age of 25.

The first better pay more.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby sunynp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:20 pm

skyline95 wrote:The road to graduating from medical school is much harder. First of all, you need to major in one of the hard sciences and then be in med school for 4 years plus residency. You're paying an ass load of money and in school for damn near 30 years...

The path to biglaw is objectively easier. You can major in art history in college, get a 4.0 while enjoying yourself. If you're a good test taker or you can work hard enough to earn a high 160's +, you can go to one of the nation's most prestigious law schools and from there get a job that pays 160,000 dollars a year all at the rip e old age of 25.

The first better pay more.


Oh please just shut up. Biology is not that hard. And neither is chemistry. You can get great grades studying science.

The difference between being a doctor and being a lawyer is huge. They are completely different jobs. Comparing them by time invested and salary is stupid.

Oh, and shut up.

(sorry for yelling before)
Last edited by sunynp on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby sundance95 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:22 pm

sunynp wrote:OH PLEASE JUST SHUT UP. BIOLOGY IS NOT THAT HARD. AND NEITHER IS CHEMISTRY. YOU CAN GET GREAT GRADES STUDYING SCIENCE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A DOCTOR AND BEING A LAWYER IS HUGE. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOBS. COMPARING THEM JUST BY TIME INVESTED AND SALARY IS STUPID.

OH AND SHUT UP.

AT FIRST I THOUGHT YOU WERE STUPID BUT THEN I NOTICED YOU WROTE IN ALLCAPS STOP SURELY YOU ARE BRILLIANT STOP

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby sunynp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:23 pm

No, I was yelling. I can change it if it offends you.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby flcath » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 pm

sunynp wrote:OH PLEASE JUST SHUT UP. BIOLOGY IS NOT THAT HARD. AND NEITHER IS CHEMISTRY. YOU CAN GET GREAT GRADES STUDYING SCIENCE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A DOCTOR AND BEING A LAWYER IS HUGE. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOBS. COMPARING THEM JUST BY TIME INVESTED AND SALARY IS STUPID.

OH AND SHUT UP.


Sincerely,

MAD AS FUCK poli sci shithead

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby sunynp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 am

flcath wrote:
sunynp wrote:OH PLEASE JUST SHUT UP. BIOLOGY IS NOT THAT HARD. AND NEITHER IS CHEMISTRY. YOU CAN GET GREAT GRADES STUDYING SCIENCE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A DOCTOR AND BEING A LAWYER IS HUGE. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOBS. COMPARING THEM JUST BY TIME INVESTED AND SALARY IS STUPID.

OH AND SHUT UP.


Sincerely,

MAD AS FUCK poli sci shithead



Actually, since you asked, I have dual degrees in Chemistry and Biology. I did special honors research in microbiology. And, unlike you I wasn't distracted in school, I worked my ass off and I got a good enough GPA to go to med school. (3.75) But I wasn't sure I really wanted to be a doctor - I had doubts. So I worked in a hospital for a year after graduation with the in-patient pharmacy and esp. cancer treatments and decided I hated it. I hated being in the hospital - it felt like prison to me.

I knew I didn't want grad school. So I after doing some research and talking to a number of biglaw lawyers who are family friends or parents of my friends, I went to law school. I didn't enjoy law school, but I loved my summer job.

And now, guess what - I start in biglaw corporate doing deals. I love the office environment at my firm in NYC. I love all the stuff, the fancy conference rooms, the art. I hated being around blood and sickness and death in the hospital. I love the business world. And I obviously am a workaholic so the hours will be tough but managable. At least for a few years.

And, yes, it is a not-so-humble brag - but you asked.

And, also, I have almost no debt because my Dad died when I was 4 and left me money for my education.

So, you know, I hope you have a nice life. I'm having one.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 am

sunynp wrote:I hated being around blood and sickness and death in the hospital.


And this is why I don't want to be a doctor. It's gross.

Persia
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby Persia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 am

So I worked in a hospital for a year after graduation with the in-patient pharmacy and esp. cancer treatments and decided I hated it. I hated being in the hospital - it felt like prison to me.


Wow, my story is extremely similar to yours. I was a chemistry/microbiology/pre-med student with good grades, but once I started shadowing in a hospital I realized there was no way I could handle medicine as a career. The science was interesting, but the human aspect was unbearably depressing. People underestimate how difficult it is to constantly be around sick people. It was frustrating too. So many people were in the hospital for reasons that could have been prevented, and nothing the doctor could say would change their habits. Then you see the abuse victims, the cancer patients with no family to visit, etc. Day in and day out. It was miserable.

After about six months of shadowing I switched to pre-law. It was my senior year of college, but there was no way I could deal with going into medicine after that experience. Still glad I made the change.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:23 am

sunynp wrote:
flcath wrote:
sunynp wrote:OH PLEASE JUST SHUT UP. BIOLOGY IS NOT THAT HARD. AND NEITHER IS CHEMISTRY. YOU CAN GET GREAT GRADES STUDYING SCIENCE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A DOCTOR AND BEING A LAWYER IS HUGE. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOBS. COMPARING THEM JUST BY TIME INVESTED AND SALARY IS STUPID.

OH AND SHUT UP.


Sincerely,

MAD AS FUCK poli sci shithead



Actually, since you asked, I have dual degrees in Chemistry and Biology. I did special honors research in microbiology. And, unlike you I wasn't distracted in school, I worked my ass off and I got a good enough GPA to go to med school. (3.75) But I wasn't sure I really wanted to be a doctor - I had doubts. So I worked in a hospital for a year after graduation with the in-patient pharmacy and esp. cancer treatments and decided I hated it. I hated being in the hospital - it felt like prison to me.

I knew I didn't want grad school. So I after doing some research and talking to a number of biglaw lawyers who are family friends or parents of my friends, I went to law school. I didn't enjoy law school, but I loved my summer job.

And now, guess what - I start in biglaw corporate doing deals. I love the office environment at my firm in NYC. I love all the stuff, the fancy conference rooms, the art. I hated being around blood and sickness and death in the hospital. I love the business world. And I obviously am a workaholic so the hours will be tough but managable. At least for a few years.

And, yes, it is a not-so-humble brag - but you asked.

And, also, I have almost no debt because my Dad died when I was 4 and left me money for my education.

So, you know, I hope you have a nice life. I'm having one.

Good for you dude. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

And I personally haven't done my SA yet; maybe I'll love biglaw. Still doesn't change the fact that the medical profession >>>> the legal industry.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 am

flcath wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the medical profession >>>> the legal industry.

That's a very subjective opinion. My brother's a doctor. You couldn't pay me to do what he does

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

dingbat wrote:
flcath wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the medical profession >>>> the legal industry.

That's a very subjective opinion. My brother's a doctor. You couldn't pay me to do what he does

Yeah, I completed EMT training and on my clinical runs it became abundantly clear that I would be terrible and miserable in the medical field, regardless of how well I could learn the material. Some people are much better suited to be lawyers.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby spleenworship » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Samara wrote:
dingbat wrote:
flcath wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the medical profession >>>> the legal industry.

That's a very subjective opinion. My brother's a doctor. You couldn't pay me to do what he does

Yeah, I completed EMT training and on my clinical runs it became abundantly clear that I would be terrible and miserable in the medical field, regardless of how well I could learn the material. Some people are much better suited to be lawyers.



And to be fair, some people are well suited to do both.

I have seen some similarities between the personalities of emergency workers (MD/DO, RN, Techs, EMTs, RTs, etc) and litigators- both tend to be type A, intelligent, competitive, detail oriented, work well under pressure, and rapidly adaptable.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

spleenworship wrote:And to be fair, some people are well suited to do both.

I have seen some similarities between the personalities of emergency workers (MD/DO, RN, Techs, EMTs, RTs, etc) and litigators- both tend to be type A, intelligent, competitive, detail oriented, work well under pressure, and rapidly adaptable.

I'd have a field day picking this apart, but I'm tired and I can't be bothered.
Someone please eviscerate this comment for me

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Why do people on this forum always compare professions if you want to be a Doctor, Astronaut, Actor, Stripper, Pimp, Accountant, Hedge Fund Manager, Bartender, Airline Pilot, Cop, Nurse, Porn Star, Rocket Scientist, 007, Mortician etc. go do it and stop talking about how much better it is or how hard it is to get through stripper school...

Also it makes it quite obvious that you are a med school/stipper school reject...

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 pm

sunynp wrote:
flcath wrote:
sunynp wrote:OH PLEASE JUST SHUT UP. BIOLOGY IS NOT THAT HARD. AND NEITHER IS CHEMISTRY. YOU CAN GET GREAT GRADES STUDYING SCIENCE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A DOCTOR AND BEING A LAWYER IS HUGE. THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT JOBS. COMPARING THEM JUST BY TIME INVESTED AND SALARY IS STUPID.

OH AND SHUT UP.


Sincerely,

MAD AS FUCK poli sci shithead



Actually, since you asked, I have dual degrees in Chemistry and Biology. I did special honors research in microbiology. And, unlike you I wasn't distracted in school, I worked my ass off and I got a good enough GPA to go to med school. (3.75) But I wasn't sure I really wanted to be a doctor - I had doubts. So I worked in a hospital for a year after graduation with the in-patient pharmacy and esp. cancer treatments and decided I hated it. I hated being in the hospital - it felt like prison to me.

I knew I didn't want grad school. So I after doing some research and talking to a number of biglaw lawyers who are family friends or parents of my friends, I went to law school. I didn't enjoy law school, but I loved my summer job.

And now, guess what - I start in biglaw corporate doing deals. I love the office environment at my firm in NYC. I love all the stuff, the fancy conference rooms, the art. I hated being around blood and sickness and death in the hospital. I love the business world. And I obviously am a workaholic so the hours will be tough but managable. At least for a few years.

And, yes, it is a not-so-humble brag - but you asked.

And, also, I have almost no debt because my Dad died when I was 4 and left me money for my education.

So, you know, I hope you have a nice life. I'm having one.


Just admit you bombed the MCAT

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Samara wrote:
dingbat wrote:
flcath wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the medical profession >>>> the legal industry.

That's a very subjective opinion. My brother's a doctor. You couldn't pay me to do what he does

Yeah, I completed EMT training and on my clinical runs it became abundantly clear that I would be terrible and miserable in the medical field, regardless of how well I could learn the material. Some people are much better suited to be lawyers.



And to be fair, some people are well suited to do both.

I have seen some similarities between the personalities of emergency workers (MD/DO, RN, Techs, EMTs, RTs, etc) and litigators- both tend to be type A, intelligent, competitive, detail oriented, work well under pressure, and rapidly adaptable.


I wanted to be 008 but settled for law school should I have the same personality?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:Why do people on this forum always compare professions if you want to be a Doctor, Astronaut, Actor, Stripper, Pimp, Accountant, Hedge Fund Manager, Bartender, Airline Pilot, Cop, Nurse, Porn Star, Rocket Scientist, 007, Mortician etc. go do it and stop talking about how much better it is or how hard it is to get through stripper school...

Also it makes it quite obvious that you are a med school/stipper school reject...

I'm a stripper school reject...

My brother's a doctor and I'm really happy I'm not.
Same with various other professions. I do miss being an ice-cream maker, but I don't miss the pay that came with it.

SunshineMagic
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

dingbat wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:Why do people on this forum always compare professions if you want to be a Doctor, Astronaut, Actor, Stripper, Pimp, Accountant, Hedge Fund Manager, Bartender, Airline Pilot, Cop, Nurse, Porn Star, Rocket Scientist, 007, Mortician etc. go do it and stop talking about how much better it is or how hard it is to get through stripper school...

Also it makes it quite obvious that you are a med school/stipper school reject...

I'm a stripper school reject...

My brother's a doctor and I'm really happy I'm not.
Same with various other professions. I do miss being an ice-cream maker, but I don't miss the pay that came with it.


Awww you should go to adult film school it's way better

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby flcath » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 am

I left, and yet the argument seems to be still raging. Has someone taken my place ITT?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: I've stopped dissuading kids from going to Law School

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:19 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
And to be fair, some people are well suited to do both.

I have seen some similarities between the personalities of emergency workers (MD/DO, RN, Techs, EMTs, RTs, etc) and litigators- both tend to be type A, intelligent, competitive, detail oriented, work well under pressure, and rapidly adaptable.


I wanted to be 008 but settled for law school should I have the same personality?



Just saying some people can do both, as some of the personality traits are similar. I have an MD at my school who is quite good at both.

Stop being douches.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests