Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonmraz73
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

Postby jonmraz73 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:53 am

I've been accepted to a few T-14's, but waiting on one (my preferred) to make a decision. I went complete back in Feb. Haven't heard a peep even though many others who went complete at the same time have already heard back.

I happened to run across a few postings where people in the past asked a school to make a decision faster because of various deadline considerations. In all the instances that I read, the school ultimately came back and rejected the application. This makes me think (irrationally perhaps) that the schools have waited on the application because they're willing to admit the applicant if certain things happen (lower yield, act of god, etc.). However, because the student is forcing the issue, the school decides to ding.

Has anyone ever been accepted after asking a school to decide quicker? Any perils in doing so? Should I just let nature take its course? I've also considered that writing the letter will give me a chance to state my strong interest in the school, so perhaps that may help. Help!

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 am

It's one of those things where there are no benefits (absent whatever utility you derive from closure) and great risks. All things being equal, you cannot expedite a favorable decision. You'll know as soon as you're in. It's not like they're intentionally sitting on your acceptance. Think about it.

jonmraz73
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Re: Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

Postby jonmraz73 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 am

Blessedassurance wrote:It's not like they're intentionally sitting on your acceptance. Think about it.



Thanks. Good point!

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

Postby bdole2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 am

jonmraz73 wrote: I've also considered that writing the letter will give me a chance to state my strong interest in the school, so perhaps that may help. Help!


Yes, a LOCI couldn't hurt.

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Perils of asking a T-14 to make a decision quicker?

Postby jetissent » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 am

I had mixed results with this. I told HSCol that I had a deadline for NYU. They all answered and said there was nothing they could do. The follow week I got Dinged at S after 4 months of silence, a KB1 at Harvard after being on Hold since Jan and CU has still not answered. So I think it depends on the school/circumstances.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests