My GF just got admitted because... ...she's my GF?!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jaeger

Re: My GF just got admitted because... ...she's my GF?!

Postby Jaeger » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:04 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How is this that unbelievable? Mentioning that your fiancee will be attending the school in the fall is a very strong way of conveying the message that you will absolutely accept if you get off the WL. While it's a bit weird that the guy was so open in talking with her, it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Also, the doctor thread didn't seem that far-fetched to me either. People understand the importance of loved ones when it comes to moving to a new location. Law schools in small cities will work to find jobs for spouses of law professors. Hell, universities will give a tenure track position to a professor they wouldn't give an offer on his or her credentials alone but they really want the partner as a professor there (this happens within the same department and it can happen among two different departments).

Maybe I'm just being gullible?

I agree. Either regulars on here get off on being dicks (very likely) or they are so wrapped up in the TLS mentality of "numbers and nothing else matters" that they don't realize people get in on the margins too. Maybe not as commonly, but it can happen. Besides, if the person is on the waitlist, according to TLS mentality, they already have numbers the school might need (or they'd just reject). They are usually just waiting to see who accepts/doesn't so that they know what numbers they need to concentrate on (increasing GPA, etc).

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 am

Was this a TTT? If so, I can believe it.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 am

Okay, troll got a couple of bonus points for UMADD, but overall, weaaaak. 155.

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:02 am

Around here it is called YUMADD :lol:

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:26 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How is this that unbelievable? Mentioning that your fiancee will be attending the school in the fall is a very strong way of conveying the message that you will absolutely accept if you get off the WL. While it's a bit weird that the guy was so open in talking with her, it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Also, the doctor thread didn't seem that far-fetched to me either. People understand the importance of loved ones when it comes to moving to a new location. Law schools in small cities will work to find jobs for spouses of law professors. Hell, universities will give a tenure track position to a professor they wouldn't give an offer on his or her credentials alone but they really want the partner as a professor there (this happens within the same department and it can happen among two different departments).

Maybe I'm just being gullible?

For me it wouldn't be that unbelievable that she got accepted. It's the part where she got accepted... except for the little "formality" of having to retake the LSAT. That makes absolutely no sense, and makes me think she misinterpreted.

although now with the u mad stuff I think he's just trolling

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Alrighty then, so the verdict is in. I got the dean of admissions' information from my GF and called him. Just got off the phone, here's the deal:

She is accepted. He said: "I told her yesterday that she is accepted and will be registering for classes and beginning classes beside you. The LSAT re-take was something that was a mutual agreement between her and I, I asked her if she would re-take the LSAT in June and try to get a higher score and that she said she was willing."

He went on to tell me that we can expect an acceptance packet in the mail within the next 2-3 days including her student profile information enabling her to pay her seat deposit online.
He also mentioned that depending on her June LSAT score, she may receive some sort of scholarship.
He will also be providing an LSAC waiver that will explain to the LSAC how the school needs this student (my GF) to sit the LSAT once more.

Hope this clears things up, sorry if there was confusion before...it was probably because I was relaying information that my GF relayed to me. Now that I have spoken to the dean myself, it all makes much more sense: admissions gamesmanship indeed.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 pm

top30man wrote:
chimp wrote:tits or gtfo

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 pm

I kind of feel bad for the poor soul who was riding the waitlist at this school and won't wind up getting in because....they weren't dating a member of the incoming class.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Just give us the rank of school with 20 spots. Like 40-60, 80-100...whatever, just so we get an idea.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

mattviphky wrote:Just give us the rank of school with 20 spots. Like 40-60, 80-100...whatever, just so we get an idea.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 am

--ImageRemoved--

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:29 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:I kind of feel bad for the poor soul who was riding the waitlist at this school and won't wind up getting in because....they weren't dating a member of the incoming class.

Who may have been saved from paying sticker at a TTT? Nothing to feel bad about.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 am

SplitLife wrote:He liked that she did a summer internship in the city with UMADD (University Mother's Against Drunk Driving) and then went back to her undergrad campus and started a chapter there. Also liked how I was the VP of UMADD on our campus and incorporated it with my fraternity and the rest of the Greek community. Referred to me as _______ (my name) from UMADD.
When I spoke with the dean of another school from the area, she also pretty much made it clear to me that she really liked my involvement with UMADD...I guess UMADD is a big deal in the area. I mean it must be if they flew my GF out there after her sophomore year, put her up in a furnished apartment and everything...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 am

Favorite thread of the day. I especially loved:

dkb17xzx wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
SplitLife wrote:Does anyone know if anyone has ever transferred from McGeorge to a T20 school?

What is a McGeorge?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:56 am

...am I the only one who is concerned the poor girl might not actually be accepted? (Assuming you're not trolling) Did she receive this in writing? What happens if her score doesn't go up? Tbh, it just sounds like an admissions officer saying "yeah, if you up your LSAT you could get in." Which, is like ... a teacher saying that if you do a great job on the test, you'll get an A.

I wouldn't have taken that conversation as described as an acceptance.

ETA: I'm concerned by two discrepancies in your OP A). gf/fiance mix-up and B). the first part of your post sounds like she emailed while the second part sounds like she was on the phone. Get your story straight, son.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:...am I the only one who is concerned the poor girl might not actually be accepted? (Assuming you're not trolling)

There is no assuming that he is not trolling. Obv troll is obv.

He randomly mentions her internship with "University Mothers Against Drunk Driving" (UMADD) six times? Come on...

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:05 am

seancris wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:...am I the only one who is concerned the poor girl might not actually be accepted? (Assuming you're not trolling)

He randomly mentions her internship with "University Mothers Against Drunk Driving" (UMADD) six times? Come on...

I definitely did not read through this thread that carefully. I did the first page and came to the end. Clearly it's worth my time to go back...

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 am

seancris wrote:

Exactly. But yes, if this was a serious situation, I would be nervous (if I was a party involved) by the whole "You're accepted BUT please take the LSAT again anyway." At best it would be trying to artificially affect the school's numbers, at worst it would be misleading and not really an offer at all.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:11 am

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:16 am

Kikero wrote:
seancris wrote:

Exactly. But yes, if this was a serious situation, I would be nervous (if I was a party involved) by the whole "You're accepted BUT please take the LSAT again anyway." At best it would be trying to artificially affect the school's numbers, at worst it would be misleading and not really an offer at all.

Totally. It wouldn't be an offer of anything. But luckily, not even the worst school in the world would say "you're accepted, but let's just see how the June LSAT goes." At least I would hope not.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

splitbrain wrote:
mattviphky wrote:Just give us the rank of school with 20 spots. Like 40-60, 80-100...whatever, just so we get an idea.

I know you think its UOP McGeorge, but I promise you its not. It is in the the NorCal area though.
Ranking: 80-100 (TT right...TT is 51-100 or is that a misconception? ...I know that after 1-20/30 rankings don't really matter, region becomes more important.)
(I understand a lot of my past posts have been about McGeorge, that's because I was accepted there earlier on in January and had a lot of questions/ was skeptical, as you can imagine. It was my top option for a while with scholly money and all. However since then, I have gotten into several more schools, one that is a wiser choice overall as compared to McGeorge ranking and money-wise. And I haven't posted anything about this school because it is better represented on TLS and I have been PMing current students. If this doesn't make sense to you then I'm sorry but I don't know what else to tell you.)

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:I kind of feel bad for the poor soul who was riding the waitlist at this school and won't wind up getting in because....they weren't dating a member of the incoming class.

Who may have been saved from paying sticker at a TTT? Nothing to feel bad about.

Exactly.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:36 am

i think it could be an offer. the school has to make the girl go through the formality of attempting the lsat again in order to comply w/ admission policies. however, if the condition of the offer (which she accepted by putting down her deposit) was simply that she take the test again and "try" to get closer to the median, her only obligation is to show up and pretend to care.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:...am I the only one who is concerned the poor girl might not actually be accepted? (Assuming you're not trolling) Did she receive this in writing? What happens if her score doesn't go up? Tbh, it just sounds like an admissions officer saying "yeah, if you up your LSAT you could get in." Which, is like ... a teacher saying that if you do a great job on the test, you'll get an A.

I wouldn't have taken that conversation as described as an acceptance.

ETA: I'm concerned by two discrepancies in your OP A). gf/fiance mix-up and B). the first part of your post sounds like she emailed while the second part sounds like she was on the phone. Get your story straight, son.

I think a lot more will make sense to you once/if you read the rest of my posts after the OP. Here is a semi-recap:
A.) Not a mix-up, exactly what I stated. My GF said ... ... ... that she was my FIANCE... not a troll/flame/"oh shit I screwed up my flame-job" ...I meant to write that, hopefully it'll click in your mind once you think about it a little bit. I made this post so that instead of worrying about trashing it, people could appreciate the method/ strategy and perhaps use it to benefit themselves in the future. If this is a problem, then mods can remove the entire thread, whatever. TLS has given me a lot, I thought I might give a little back, maybe I was misguided...
B.) Sorry about that, my fault, I wrote that part wrong in all my excitement I guess. It has been edited with an * in the OP.
I talked to the dean of admissions today personally myself, on the phone, and he assured me that she was admitted for sure, no matter what, and that he just wanted her to re-take the LSAT to try and get closer to the school's median. AKA not hurt their admissions #s so much. He told me to tell her, there's no pressure, she's in, just try to get a higher score.
He said they are sending out more acceptance letters soon and that she would be getting hers, along with the acceptance packet in the mail within the next 2-3 days (school in is NorCal, we are in SoCal) which will include her account login information so that she can pay her seat deposit.

One thing I did forget to mention: In her original phone conversation with the dean, she mentioned to him that she would like to know if she will be getting in or not so that her and I can make living arrangements accordingly. (She started to freak out after I paid my seat deposit.) Hope this provides a bit more clarity to the situation.

LOL I still cant believe how strongly you all feel I am trolling ...I mean, WHY would I??

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:45 am

Geneva wrote:i think it could be an offer. the school has to make the girl go through the formality of attempting the lsat again in order to comply w/ admission policies. however, if the condition of the offer (which she accepted by putting down her deposit) was simply that she take the test again and "try" to get closer to the median, her only obligation is to show up and pretend to care.

EXACTLY! :)
Someone actually gets it, thank goodness!!
I believe I've been using the word "formality" for several posts now, I guess I didn't state the situation clearly enough.

The dean said "try" to get closer to our median, and if you do well enough, we may even offer you some scholarship money, if not, then you're in at sticker.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”