My GF just got admitted because... ...she's my GF?! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seancris

Silver

Re: My GF just got admitted because... ...she's my GF?!

Post by seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 pm

SplitLife wrote:He liked that she did a summer internship in the city with UMADD (University Mother's Against Drunk Driving) and then went back to her undergrad campus and started a chapter there. Also liked how I was the VP of UMADD on our campus and incorporated it with my fraternity and the rest of the Greek community. Referred to me as _______ (my name) from UMADD.
When I spoke with the dean of another school from the area, she also pretty much made it clear to me that she really liked my involvement with UMADD...I guess UMADD is a big deal in the area. I mean it must be if they flew my GF out there after her sophomore year, put her up in a furnished apartment and everything...
TLS will believe anything.

This situation that didn't happen does not demonstrate the importance of networking, and those of us who don't buy OPs story aren't arguing against the importance of networking. Networking does not work by name-dropping a random admit. Being engaged to a random TT admit doesn't overcome an LSAT score that is 6 points below median IRL (TT LSAT medians are what... 160? So we're talking about an applicant who supposedly maxed their LSAT at around 154/153?). OP has only indicated that he is a random admit, not a highly recruited admit or someone who has connections ("from UMADD" :roll: ).

IMO it would be pretty ridiculous admissions strategy to admit someone from the WL with a 6-point below median LSAT score instead of admitting someone with a closer score just for YP at a TT.

For the record, calling OP on what is pretty clearly a flame given the five UMADD references is not my attempt to argue that leverage/ties have can never have an effect on WL admissions. Nor am I arguing against the importance of networking. Ugh.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 pm

The word "networking" needs to be killed with a million swords. That and the word "opportunity".

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Gail wrote:The word "networking" needs to be killed with a million swords. That and the word "opportunity".
Networking Drinking Event

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Gail wrote:The word "networking" needs to be killed with a million swords. That and the word "opportunity".
It gets overused, but if you don't believe that having a wide range of contacts in many industries (especially your own) isn't the most important aspect of your career, you are mistaken.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
It gets overused, but if you don't believe that having a wide range of contacts in many industries (especially your own) isn't the most important aspect of your career, you are mistaken.
Oh I definitely think that's important and not just within your profession either. I think having contacts in other professional groups is also an underrated tactic to building a career.

Biggest mistake I made in UG was not "networking". A mistake that I am thankful for being aware of now. It's just that if there was ever a need for a synonym...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
Networking Drinking Event
So what do they do at BYU? :?:

SplitLife

Bronze

Post by SplitLife » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 am

She got her acceptance packet in the mail today with a note from the dean of admissions addressing her and I personally! :)

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 am

SplitLife wrote:She got her acceptance packet in the mail today with a note from the dean of admissions addressing her and I me personally! :)
I cringed the first few times you made this mistake, but trudged through your posts for flame goodness. However, this must be addressed. LEARN HOW TO USE OBJECT PRONOUNS! I know some of the blame lies with Lady Gaga, but just because the first person pronoun has "and" before it doesn't automatically make it "I." No one addresses I.

tl;dr FTFY

SplitLife

Bronze

Post by SplitLife » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
SplitLife wrote:She got her acceptance packet in the mail today with a note from the dean of admissions addressing her and I me personally! :)
I cringed the first few times you made this mistake, but trudged through your posts for flame goodness. However, this must be addressed. LEARN HOW TO USE OBJECT PRONOUNS! I know some of the blame lies with Lady Gaga, but just because the first person pronoun has "and" before it doesn't automatically make it "I." No one addresses I.

tl;dr FTFY
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

tl;dr FTFY
Perhaps he's Rastafari and does not wish to objectify himself in the existing superstructure.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 am

Davidbentley wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

tl;dr FTFY
Perhaps he's Rastafari and does not wish to objectify himself in the existing superstructure.

roflcopter

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”