I dropped the ball

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
postn0bills

I dropped the ball

Postby postn0bills » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I was accepted to Rutgers-Newark without a scholarship, and later, Seton Hall with a pretty nice scholarship offer. I planned on writing a letter to Rutgers tonight to negotiate scholarship money using the Seton Hall scholly as leverage. Lo and behold, as I sat down to write, I saw that Rutgers' first deposit deadline was April 1st. I realize I totally dropped the ball on this one and I should have been paying closer attention, but between working 50+ hours a week and juggling other things in my life, I somehow misunderstood the deadline to be April 15th. I'm feeling pretty craptacular about it already, so I would appreciate some constructive feedback on how I should handle this situation. Is there any way for me at this point to get back into Rutgers' good graces? Even if I could, is there any way for me to negotiate scholarship money now that this has happened? I wouldn't attend Rutgers without a scholarship, but now because of my screw up I'm not even sure negotiation is an option (let alone still being offered a seat). Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Br3v

Re: I dropped the ball

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 pm

postn0bills wrote:I was accepted to Rutgers-Newark without a scholarship, and later, Seton Hall with a pretty nice scholarship offer. I planned on writing a letter to Rutgers tonight to negotiate scholarship money using the Seton Hall scholly as leverage. Lo and behold, as I sat down to write, I saw that Rutgers' first deposit deadline was April 1st. I realize I totally dropped the ball on this one and I should have been paying closer attention, but between working 50+ hours a week and juggling other things in my life, I somehow misunderstood the deadline to be April 15th. I'm feeling pretty craptacular about it already, so I would appreciate some constructive feedback on how I should handle this situation. Is there any way for me at this point to get back into Rutgers' good graces? Even if I could, is there any way for me to negotiate scholarship money now that this has happened? I wouldn't attend Rutgers without a scholarship, but now because of my screw up I'm not even sure negotiation is an option (let alone still being offered a seat). Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I would imagine this puts you in horrible position to negotiate but still have chance to get seat. CONTACT IMMEDIATELY.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Rutgers is still cheaper than Seton Hall even with your scholarship. I don't think you would have been successful in negotiating. I haven't met anyone who has been. Still, if you want to attend try calling and explaining your situation. Rutgers has been very understanding with me so far in my dealings with them. Worth a shot.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Br3v wrote:
postn0bills wrote:I was accepted to Rutgers-Newark without a scholarship, and later, Seton Hall with a pretty nice scholarship offer. I planned on writing a letter to Rutgers tonight to negotiate scholarship money using the Seton Hall scholly as leverage. Lo and behold, as I sat down to write, I saw that Rutgers' first deposit deadline was April 1st. I realize I totally dropped the ball on this one and I should have been paying closer attention, but between working 50+ hours a week and juggling other things in my life, I somehow misunderstood the deadline to be April 15th. I'm feeling pretty craptacular about it already, so I would appreciate some constructive feedback on how I should handle this situation. Is there any way for me at this point to get back into Rutgers' good graces? Even if I could, is there any way for me to negotiate scholarship money now that this has happened? I wouldn't attend Rutgers without a scholarship, but now because of my screw up I'm not even sure negotiation is an option (let alone still being offered a seat). Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I would imagine this puts you in horrible position to negotiate but still have chance to get seat. CONTACT IMMEDIATELY.

Credited. And I think rutgers is the better choice anyway.

lawstudent06789

Postby lawstudent06789 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Send email immediately:

"Dear ___,

I just realized I missed Rutgers' deposit deadline (I work full-time and all of the other schools I'm considering have deposit deadlines of April 15th)! Is there any possibility I can have the deadline extended to April 15th?

I apologize for this mistake and am grateful for any help you can offer me.

Sincerely,

_________"

Wait for response. If they say okie-dokie then respond:

"Dear____,

Thank you so much for extending the deadline for me. Rutgers is one of my top choices because ____________. However, I'm having trouble justifying choosing Rutgers over Seton Hall, which has offered me $this much scholarship. I really want to go to Rutgers - is there any way I can still be considered for scholarship money?

Thank you again for all of your help and support throughout this process.

Sincerely,

____"

Obviously word it how you will, but I think they'll understand it was an honest mistake. Hope this helps/best of luck.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:43 am

eldeadtone wrote:Send email immediately:

"Dear ___,

I just realized I missed Rutgers' deposit deadline (I work full-time and all of the other schools I'm considering have deposit deadlines of April 15th)! Is there any possibility I can have the deadline extended to April 15th?

I apologize for this mistake and am grateful for any help you can offer me.

Sincerely,

_________"

Wait for response. If they say okie-dokie then respond:

"Dear____,

Thank you so much for extending the deadline for me. Rutgers is one of my top choices because ____________. However, I'm having trouble justifying choosing Rutgers over Seton Hall, which has offered me $this much scholarship. I really want to go to Rutgers - is there any way I can still be considered for scholarship money?

Thank you again for all of your help and support throughout this process.

Sincerely,

____"

Obviously word it how you will, but I think they'll understand it was an honest mistake. Hope this helps/best of luck.

TCR

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mathdork

Postby Mathdork » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Did it work?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”